Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Crocodile
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jul 2009, 3:32 am

I was wondering if you have it too: When information comes unexpected, like someone suddenly saying something, you 'process and understand it seconds, minutes or even hours later.

Sometimes someone says something unexpected TO ME, and it takes some seconds (fifteen or so) to understand what the person said. Or when someone says something fast unexpected, or something suddenly and fast happens, I only realize at that very moment something happens, but I don't understand what exactly. I can guess within a second what the person is saying or doing by thinking of the context within he's doing something (as a reaction to something that happens) but I only know the actual words sometimes hours later, and then my memory proves to be very detailed. At the moment it happens, all I hear is just some noise of which I know it's a human voice, that's all. Or I see things happening and at that very moment I just don't realize what is actually going on.

This mostly happens, strangely enough, when someone suddenly talks to ME, or does something in relation to me.

Do you think this slow but detalied processing of information is an aspie thing?

I GRADUATED WITH THE HIGHEST GRADES OF MY YEAR!! !! !

salamander
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Jul 2009, 3:40 am

Absolutely. I have a hard time processing a great many things.

For instance, on the freeway, I need to look to change lanes TWICE, since often the first time I can't tell if I saw or didn't see anyone there. I also have to watch the ground less I trip, since I lose context with where I'm walking if I don't keep an eye on the ground almost constantly.

In a store, I dread talking to the cashier, since they'll make small talk, and it takes me just long enough to figure out what they said to make me appear awkward (usually some form of aloof or arrogant).

I also have problems with mathematics. Not because I can't understand the concepts (I do very well), but because too many symbols or numbers slow down my mind. Likewise with sentences involving names, it takes extra time to sort out which piece was relevant.

Other things, like "complex" (to me) social interactions, I figure out the intention of questions/ideas hours, days, months and sometimes decades later. "Oh, that's what they were asking/saying!"

Its a problem since other people tell me I think/talk too fast... but that's only when I already know the context of things. So people often think I'm saying something odd/mean/crazy, when I'm really just talking about something different than them because I missed the correct context (the context they were using).

Lots of reasons for this I think, but a limited working set (memory) I believe to be my problem. It makes me "slow".

All of this is to say, that I think I "skip" over words, symbols, the like, to try and keep myself up to pace with normal life. And in so doing, I think I mix up the context of things. The other option would be to delay until the symbols translate, which would be very odd. Or, I could ask a lot more questions, which would probably annoy the hell out of people.

I'm fairly certain its just because some kinds of symbols (like names and specific numbers) require working set memory, and mine can't handle very many. There are probably other timing issues (sensory based) as well, but it all appears to me to be a differently-timed clock. It works fine, it just doesn't work like an NT.

StillStorm
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jul 2009, 4:17 am

Yes, this happens to me at lot. Maybe the context thing is why small-talk is so difficult? Because small-talk is often about seemingly random, or at least out of context subjects?

I seem to have particular problems processing information from people who talk very fast, or talk in a verbose manner. It seems that I just can't process and assimilate what they're saying quickly enough, and sometimes I just completely lose the thread of what they're saying. I think maybe I'm trying to analyse what they're saying in too much detail - and my mind gets preoccupied with that. So, it's not that our minds work slowly and can't process this information - quite the opposite in fact. I'm often accused of talking or thinking too quickly or jumping ahead too quickly if I'm trying to explain something to someone.

salamander

05 Jul 2009, 4:22 am

StillStorm wrote:
Because small-talk is often about seemingly random, or at least out of context subjects

Yeah, I think that's accurate for me. I can't "grasp" the point of it, and so I can't figure out what I'm supposed to be feeling/responding to, I think. Although, sometimes much later I do figure it out (or maybe I'm just guessing at what seems like a good explanation.)

StillStorm wrote:
I think maybe I'm trying to analyse what they're saying in too much detail - and my mind gets preoccupied with that. So, it's not that our minds work slowly and can't process this information - quite the opposite in fact. I'm often accused of talking or thinking too quickly or jumping ahead too quickly if I'm trying to explain something to someone.

Yeah, that seems to go to the "Aspies focus on detail" trait which I'm not sure I understand. It doesnt feel like I'm focused on details, but perhaps if some overall context was what was supposed to be important, it would seem to an NT that I am focusing on details when really, I just didn't see the context. Or the context is that it was all just some generic expression with nothing important in it and I/we try to find something important in it that wasn't ever intended to be there. Seems plausible, at least.

I'm definitely not slow to think, I just don't think what they seem to think I should think. I am certain they are wrong, however. I like my brain just fine.

Yashmeena
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Jul 2009, 9:37 am

I experience all of the above, too.
It's such a pain in school, especially - lessons are often just wastes of time, because I work so much better at my own speed. Lack of empathy very much compounds this. It takes so much concentration to understand what's being said - I really try to analyse all of it, which is exhausting. I find it difficult to extract important information and apply this to what else I've learnt, too (for example, what the teacher says as well as the literature, together). However, processing information from books is nearly as difficult for me, but at least you can gain context this way (as books tend to cover all) which makes it okay, almost. I often must deliberate over what's read a lot, as well as with what's said. The lack of context gained from speech (and occasionally books) often means I never really appreciate what's said, although I understand the basic meaning of the words. I find other languages easier sometimes, too, because I'm used to the connotations of each word much more.
Sometimes, in talks, certain points are covered too quickly for myself, whilst are fine for other people, and then others which are deliberated over I often feel are very simple.
Just generally, noise/conversation flies over me, and it's difficult to participate in anything because of this and the above. Basically, together with aspergers and other problems, it's hermit-inducing...

One other thing is that because of this lack of appreciation and the exhaustion of trying to analyse, I often get very fed up due to the lack of stimulation and thus boredom when listening to people talk or whatever. At these times, I'm always wishing I could be sat down with an complicated book...

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

05 Jul 2009, 10:55 am

ahh yes, the gool ol sneak attack of unsuspecting information. i suffer from it :)

WoodenNickel
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jul 2009, 11:10 am

This latest version of an experience seems to be related. I get frightened when I see or hear people I don't expect. Earlier today, my wife talked to me. The problem was that I did not see her until after she started. She did not react well to my fright.

My son frightened me once when I came out of the bathroom to find him suddenly in my vision, when I was expecting him to be asleep.

StillStorm
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jul 2009, 12:10 pm

Yashmeena wrote:
It's such a pain in school, especially - lessons are often just wastes of time, because I work so much better at my own speed. Lack of empathy very much compounds this. It takes so much concentration to understand what's being said - I really try to analyse all of it, which is exhausting. I find it difficult to extract important information and apply this to what else I've learnt, too (for example, what the teacher says as well as the literature, together). However, processing information from books is nearly as difficult for me, but at least you can gain context this way (as books tend to cover all) which makes it okay, almost. I often must deliberate over what's read a lot, as well as with what's said. The lack of context gained from speech (and occasionally books) often means I never really appreciate what's said, although I understand the basic meaning of the words. I find other languages easier sometimes, too, because I'm used to the connotations of each word much more.

I never took in much (any?) at school, prefering to work in my own time and my own pace - though to be honest I didn't really work much at all - not until I went to university anyway.

I've always found reading quite a frustrating business because I have to read every word, and often have to keep going back and re-reading the same section because I've not taken in all the information. It's amazing that I've managed to learn anything when you think about it! :wink:

littlegreenleaf
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Jul 2009, 8:11 pm

If it didn't take such a long time for me to process some of the things that people say or do in relation to me, it would make things a lot easier. It would be funny if I never even processed these things at all, but I do and much later, so that I wish I could go back and re-do that moment since I "get it now."

Fo-Rum
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jul 2009, 8:41 pm

This is a problem for me, and I only recently figured it out.

If something unexpected comes, I immediately ask, "What?" because I didn't understand it. I've found though if I actually sit for a few seconds and think on it, it processes and I understand it.

It only takes me a few seconds, thankfully. I don't know if this is normal for everyone or something related to autism.. I'd like to say it has to do with auditory processing problems, but it doesn't seem like it'd fit the profile exactly. It just may be due to inattention.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

05 Jul 2009, 9:55 pm

Crocodile wrote:
At the moment it happens, all I hear is just some noise of which I know it's a human voice, that's all.

I have this problem to. Sometimes when people say something all I hear is noise and I know they've said something, but for some reason that I don't know, I didn't hear the words. I end up thinking about it for 1 minute or more and then going..."Wait, say that again"...because I still can't work it out. This is very annoying because sometimes people have to repeat themselves 3 or 4 times and people end up accusing me of losing my hearing.

TheMaverick
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jul 2009, 9:56 pm

im slow as a result of a clouded, depressed mind. other wise i blow everyone else out tof the water with my speed and then no one can keep up with me.

emilyrosecampbell
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Jul 2009, 10:29 pm

I always have problems with the question, " Hi. How are you today?" I instinctualy say fine, and continue with what I am doing. Then probably 1-3 minutes later, I'll yell "MF, I was suposed to ask you the same." It scares people. One of my co-workers finally asked why I did that, and I said "We'll this is work not a chat room. Correct?" But my co-workers have finally after 2 years figured out to ask me and then say how they are.

Mikhaillost
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jul 2009, 1:11 am

I do that with speech if I don't expect it. I will either sau "Unnnnnnn" or repeat them quietly in that case. Sometimes I will just go "Unnn" or "nnnnnn" and not reply at all and they look at me weird.

It doesn't help that people sometimes sound like that are babbling. Like "Blah blah blah" nonsense.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2009, 1:57 am

Definitely.

For example, if I'm in public and someone needing to get past says "excuse me", it can take a few seconds for me to process it (especially with my nervousness of talking to strangers.)

SpongeBobRocksMao!

Linder1980
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Location: New Zealand's finest Export...currently residing in Australia

06 Jul 2009, 3:49 am

I very often feel like other people are a completely different species and I either don't understand them at all, or I have to concentrate really hard in order to understand what they are trying to say.....particulary if I'm taken off guard and not expecting a question or conversation. Usually I pick up a word or two, but am always asking "what?" or "what did you say"?.....gets a bit embarressing if I have to ask them 2-3 times.....sometimes it just doesn't work at all and all I hear is "blah, blah, blah, sandwich, blah, blah" and i just have to shrug helplessly and pretend I'm partially deaf.....