First time in history!! !! The NT/AS open hotline ! !! !! !

Page 42 of 158 [ 2516 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 158  Next

Rate the idea
Good 35%  35%  [ 1197 ]
Good 36%  36%  [ 1246 ]
Bad 1%  1%  [ 32 ]
Bad 1%  1%  [ 32 ]
Good and bad 3%  3%  [ 118 ]
Good and bad 4%  4%  [ 126 ]
I'm indifferent 5%  5%  [ 166 ]
I'm indifferent 5%  5%  [ 176 ]
Greentea's crazy! / Greentea's king! / Let see those results 5%  5%  [ 172 ]
Greentea's crazy! / Greentea's king! / Let see those results 5%  5%  [ 176 ]
Total votes : 3441

DenvrDave
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2010, 8:02 pm

sartresue wrote:
Why do some NTs ignore requests for info rather than just tell the person they are unable to help?

This behavior is rude and not ok IMHO. The most likely reason is because they were raised to believe that this behavior is ok, probably by parents who behaved the same way. That's it, you can pretty much blame rude behavior in NTs on poor parenting 9 times out of 10. People learn how to behave from the examples that are set for them, and in most cases the strongest/most influential examples are parents. So if parents act rude, the children will act rude. The children grow up and become adults, have children of their own, and the cycle continues until or unless some enlightened person recognizes the rude behavior within themselves and decides to break the cycle. That's the simplest, most straight-forward answer there is.

I'm curious...does knowing the answer help you?

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2010, 11:01 pm

willmark wrote:
I have a question for AS folks. From everything I have read and observed, Aspies and Auties tend to interpret things literally. I am wondering if this too tends to have a sliding scale of impact, but I am curious if you tend to not get the humor in puns. For instance I tend to pun a lot in normal conversation, like the other day I called a friend who I knew had lost their power due to the storms we had last week, and I asked her if she was still in the dark. To me that had a double meaning, 1) the literal meaning that with the power off, her lights don't work so it's dark inside her house, but "In the dark" is also an idiom of sorts that means not understanding, or has not been informed yet, or something to that effect. Asking my friend if her power was back on, by saying, "Are you still in the dark", was intended to inject a little humor on the side, because of the double meaning. How would an aspie interpret that? Would it cause confusion?

Most of the time I can handle puns, but my situation is unusual, in my culture double-meanings are very frequently used, so while I was terrible at handling it as a kid, I think it helped me deal with puns and suchlike; also in my family there was a lot of banter, that also helped train me to deal with literal and non-literal meanings.

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2010, 11:20 pm

For instance, if a friend is in trouble, I can be there to listen, and I'm often keen to try and help them figure out a way to solve their problems (like solving a puzzle). I usually seem unemotional during this process, which (I've noticed) is something some people find comforting; I can be the level-headed friend who puts things in perspective from a realistic unemotional standpoint and can list the options for dealing with the situation at hand instead of getting lost in crying over it.

You've just described Warren Buffet who I strongly suspect is AS (currently reading his autobiography The Snowball Effect) that cool headedness is what got him to be where he is today. That seems to be his one and only AS passion , money, his not at all interested in material goods (that's for his wife) .

Omnomnom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Feb 2010, 5:51 am

I'm giving this question about "why don't people call back when they won't help you" another shot.

DenvrDave, I think if knowing something is wrong were all it takes to stop acting that way, there would be far less people acting wrongly on the planet. And I can't believe that NTs are the only ones who adopt bad habits from their parents.

Ok, here is a second try.
I think many people and particularly women are taught that it is rude to say "no" to a polite request. Even if for reasons of their own, they don't want to help. They are taught not to be egoistic and to put the wishes of others above their own.
Now here comes someone with a reasonable request that they don't want to answer: Either because they are lazy or because they don't want to share their hard won information with anyone. They don't want to.

Yes, it is selfish. But consider that behind every selfish feeling is an unsatisfied need. So, perhaps this woman was unwilling to share her data because she wants the glory associated with it, and doesn't want to share it, because as far back as she can remember people were always leeching off her and taking stuff and getting praised for it, while she got ignored.
Is this irrational? Totally.
Should she be adult enough and therapied enough to be over this? Sure, but there are many more people who need therapy than who actually get it or can afford it.
Is it rude? Absolutely.
Should you be required to understand why people are rude to you? No, not at all. You just react accordingly. And here comes the second part of what NTs often imply with their behaviour:

NTs, who often feel they are not allowed to be selfish by saying "no" to a request, have been taught another mechanism to deal with it. They have been taught that if you cold shoulder someone and ignore his request more than once, the person will get the hint and understand that he should quit pestering you. While still entertaining the possibility that you may just have forgotten to call him back. This vagueness allows both the asker and the not-answerer to still remain on polite terms. While if the not-answerer had said, "sorry, this won't be possible. I don't want to share." the other person would have been confused and pestered them some more "but WHY not", which leads to more drama, or the other person would have thought "what a rude person", and gone off in a huff.

Not all NTs deal with requests this way. In fact, it is heavily frowned upon in a job or in business settings. Mature people say no and they say so calmly and deal with the fallout. But just because someone is NT doesn't mean he is good at life, mature or knows how to deal with things. Many people still fall back, without even knowing it, on things they have learnt so early they can't even remember it.

ETA: This is not the answer to everything, incidentally. For instance, some people are just flakes. We don't know why. People who answer emails only rarely, forget appointments, forget promises, are scatterbrained and get by because other people forgive them.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2010, 8:58 am

DenvrDave wrote:
sartresue wrote:
Why do some NTs ignore requests for info rather than just tell the person they are unable to help?

This behavior is rude and not ok IMHO. The most likely reason is because they were raised to believe that this behavior is ok, probably by parents who behaved the same way. That's it, you can pretty much blame rude behavior in NTs on poor parenting 9 times out of 10. People learn how to behave from the examples that are set for them, and in most cases the strongest/most influential examples are parents. So if parents act rude, the children will act rude. The children grow up and become adults, have children of their own, and the cycle continues until or unless some enlightened person recognizes the rude behavior within themselves and decides to break the cycle. That's the simplest, most straight-forward answer there is.

I'm curious...does knowing the answer help you?

and

Omnomnom wrote:
Quote:
I'm giving this question about "why don't people call back when they won't help you" another shot.

DenvrDave, I think if knowing something is wrong were all it takes to stop acting that way, there would be far less people acting wrongly on the planet. And I can't believe that NTs are the only ones who adopt bad habits from their parents.

Ok, here is a second try.
I think many people and particularly women are taught that it is rude to say "no" to a polite request. Even if for reasons of their own, they don't want to help. They are taught not to be egoistic and to put the wishes of others above their own.
Now here comes someone with a reasonable request that they don't want to answer: Either because they are lazy or because they don't want to share their hard won information with anyone. They don't want to.

Yes, it is selfish. But consider that behind every selfish feeling is an unsatisfied need. So, perhaps this woman was unwilling to share her data because she wants the glory associated with it, and doesn't want to share it, because as far back as she can remember people were always leeching off her and taking stuff and getting praised for it, while she got ignored.
Is this irrational? Totally.
Should she be adult enough and therapied enough to be over this? Sure, but there are many more people who need therapy than who actually get it or can afford it.
Is it rude? Absolutely.
Should you be required to understand why people are rude to you? No, not at all. You just react accordingly. And here comes the second part of what NTs often imply with their behaviour:

NTs, who often feel they are not allowed to be selfish by saying "no" to a request, have been taught another mechanism to deal with it. They have been taught that if you cold shoulder someone and ignore his request more than once, the person will get the hint and understand that he should quit pestering you. While still entertaining the possibility that you may just have forgotten to call him back. This vagueness allows both the asker and the not-answerer to still remain on polite terms. While if the not-answerer had said, "sorry, this won't be possible. I don't want to share." the other person would have been confused and pestered them some more "but WHY not", which leads to more drama, or the other person would have thought "what a rude person", and gone off in a huff.

Not all NTs deal with requests this way. In fact, it is heavily frowned upon in a job or in business settings. Mature people say no and they say so calmly and deal with the fallout. But just because someone is NT doesn't mean he is good at life, mature or knows how to deal with things. Many people still fall back, without even knowing it, on things they have learnt so early they can't even remember it.

ETA: This is not the answer to everything, incidentally. For instance, some people are just flakes. We don't know why. People who answer emails only rarely, forget appointments, forget promises, are scatterbrained and get by because other people forgive them.

Worth a talk topic

Thank you dear people for these valuable insights. I needed to know because most of my recent family is like this. They like power games, do not admit mistakes of ANY kind, and get a sort of thrill from put downs, verbal or non verbal (like ignoring people). I, the autistic one, :D broke the cycle. I have told my kids that it is important to tell people (within reason) the truth, even if it is something they do not wish to hear. Better to be honest: write a letter, an email, leave a message. It will not be used against you (provided nothing exceptionally nasty/libellous was said). Then you know for certain and can move on.

So why would I be interested in a family that could be like this, even if the members are dead? Because I am hoping that somewhere, way back, there was someone like me, and I will even discuss the tree in writing: These people came before me. If not for them, I would not exist. There no doubt were AS people in the tree. There will be more. And if someone else can benefit by my research, then this is a positive outcome. :cheers:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

DenvrDave
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2010, 1:18 pm

Omnomnom wrote:

I didn't mean to imply either of these things. I don't believe that simply knowing something is wrong is "...all it takes to stop acting that way." Not sure which words in my original post would lead you to think this. I believe that changing one's own behaviors and habits is probably one of the hardest things to accomplish in the world, which is probably why the "Self Help" market is a multi-billion dollar industry. Also, I don't believe "...NTs are the only ones who adopt bad habits from their parents." Again, not sure which words in my original post would lead to this. As a matter of fact, my post specifically and intentionally referred to "people" learning behaviors from their parents. Regardless, I hope this clarifies what I meant.

Omnomnom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Feb 2010, 1:49 pm

Yeah, I think I just interpreted what you meant wrong. But for completenesses sake, this is where I got my conclusions from:

DenvrDave wrote:
I don't believe that simply knowing something is wrong is "...all it takes to stop acting that way." Not sure which words in my original post would lead you to think this.

I thought that was what you meant when you said:
"The cycle continues until or unless some enlightened person recognizes the rude behavior within themselves and decides to break the cycle. "
(It sounded like all he had to do was to decide to break the cycle. When, as you say, there is a whole lot more to changing ingrained behaviour.)

Quote:
Also, I don't believe "...NTs are the only ones who adopt bad habits from their parents." Again, not sure which words in my original post would lead to this.

And this one I got from the sentence:
"That's it, you can pretty much blame rude behavior in NTs on poor parenting 9 times out of 10."
I'll admit that my misconception is at least in part derived from the sheer amount of posts on here saying "why do NTs (do this sh***y thing)" and "why do NTs (do this idiotic thing)", and I realise it's a shorthand, but at the same time I often want to say "hey, it's not like non-NTs don't do that as well! So some of that made me overreact and interpret something into your sentence you didn't actually mean.

So yeah, I misinterpreted. Peace?

DenvrDave
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2010, 4:30 pm

Omnomnom wrote:
Peace?

Absolutely! :D :thumleft:

AnnaLemma
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Feb 2010, 10:06 am

Omnomnom wrote:
I think many people and particularly women are taught that it is rude to say "no" to a polite request. Even if for reasons of their own, they don't want to help. They are taught not to be egoistic and to put the wishes of others above their own...etc

Wow--never heard it put more succinctly! Explains more than half a century of mysterious (to me, anyway) interactions. Ones where others repeatedly blew me off and seemed unable to grasp why I was exasperated (because they left me hanging), ones where I said "no" politely up front so they could make other arrangements, but instead they got mad at me. I have had a life-long fear of seeming flaky, so when I get a request I don't think I can fulfill, I say "no" immediately, rather than string the person along. I figure that enables the requester to find someone else to help. Now I understand that this honesty is viewed as impolite. I guess this again proves the wisdom that no good deed goes unpunished. Not sure how I'll use the insight, but it is a relief to understand at last.

kerishave
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Feb 2010, 3:45 pm

I too, am a teacher and have a son with aspergers. I can tell some of the characteristics. For me, Aspies (sp?) are not invisible at all. I will tell you I have a son who I love so very much, but he doesn't seem happy, is alone most of the time. I worry so much about his ability to take care of himself (he's 22) So, I guess I have different worries than greentea who wants to be acknowledged. I am sick with worry. And I do acknowledge you!

kerishave
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Feb 2010, 3:51 pm

ok, so I must be an NT, and this forum is designed to facilitate communication between the 2 groups...which forum would i go to for help in understanding my son. This is my dilema.

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 3:58 pm

Parents' discussion forum - a lot of helpful people there, both AS and NT

kerishave
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Feb 2010, 4:06 pm

for people who have aspergers who feel that much of NT behavior is mysterious to them. Well I must admit that many NT to NT behavior is mysterious to me. I find people in general to be self centered and difficult for me to relate to. Most social situations are not that much fun for me even though I understand body language, and communicate well, etc. IT is a dog eat dog world out there and kindness is a rare entity. So, for those of you who feel lost in understanding so called NT behavior, you are not very far off in your observations. Best to love yourself and then find another person who loves himself or herself to spend time with. We all are just mostly alone in this world, even NTish people.

kerishave
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Feb 2010, 4:09 pm

thanks, I'll go to the parents forum

Omnomnom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2010, 11:32 am

AnnaLemma wrote:
Omnomnom wrote:
I think many people and particularly women are taught that it is rude to say "no" to a polite request. Even if for reasons of their own, they don't want to help. They are taught not to be egoistic and to put the wishes of others above their own...etc

Wow--never heard it put more succinctly! Explains more than half a century of mysterious (to me, anyway) interactions. Ones where others repeatedly blew me off and seemed unable to grasp why I was exasperated (because they left me hanging), ones where I said "no" politely up front so they could make other arrangements, but instead they got mad at me. I have had a life-long fear of seeming flaky, so when I get a request I don't think I can fulfill, I say "no" immediately, rather than string the person along. I figure that enables the requester to find someone else to help. Now I understand that this honesty is viewed as impolite. I guess this again proves the wisdom that no good deed goes unpunished. Not sure how I'll use the insight, but it is a relief to understand at last.

Please please don't get me wrong - I think that your behaviour is absolutely the mature one and I am glad people act like you do. I also think it is rude to not answer a request, and I think it is beyond silly to be angry at a no. So please whatever you do, don't take away from this that you should emulate NT people with unhealthy boundaries!
At most, recognise that their behaviour might have nothing to do with you, roll your eyes and move on. And remember which people are responsible and who isn't, so that you don't depend on the flaky ones.

Some mitigating reasons why a no might make people angry: If you just say "no". It's better to say you're sorry you can't help them and explain a reason why you can't. A curt "no, not possible" is best reserved for pesky people who won't take a polite no for an answer. So perhaps people think you are being curt.
Another reason is if people feel they are always helping you and you are never helping them. this does not necessarily have to be true, they just feel as if this were the case.

Andrijana
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Feb 2010, 1:02 pm

mechanicalgirl39 wrote:
T

My mother thinks I should do more socializing, but I don't think that's the answer...I've had to use this adaptation even with her. My own mother, who I live with all the time, I have to mechanistically learn about her by memorizing things she says and mentally taking notes. :(

Your mother may be on right track. "Repeticio es matter studiorum". You may know what does it mean as one ASPI. More you are with people, observing them, easier you can read them. It's process of learning. I have high appreciation for your kind, though, I don't know why you like to be branded. Most ASPIs I know, are smarter and at least equally interesting as NTs. We are all different from each other. There is no one on this planet that doesn't feel he doesn't belong somewhere, sometimes, somehow. Only difference - NTs move on and find themselves group where they feel they belong and they are comfortable with but, you stop and cry over yourself and your difference and put yourself in isolation since, ordinary "earthlings" don't understand you. You think that NTs can understand each other all the time? Yeah, sure! WE live in even worse world. Two faced, deceiving, lying, cynical spicies in jungle. We navigate through it as we can. Who can tell if we are happier than you?!? As you can see, smile on our face doesn't always mean - smile and happiness - so you may smile instead of spiting on someone but, it is called -"SELF CONTROL" And that is something that needs to be learned. You are not born with it. And use advice from Thumper's mom "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all!" It works! :-))