Real statistics on Autism and Job market

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 1:02 pm

Does anyone have any real statistics on Autism and Job Market? I see people say "most people on the Autisim spectrum are do not have a job" and other things about jobs. People here on who participate in the forums have shared the "my job" story. Has anyone done any really large surveys or statistical analysis? I could dig into google my experience is this type of question is hard to answer quickly that way - I thought I would ask the "hive mind" as a first step. Any studies on types of job or job features that make for a better job for someone on the spectrum? (Yes I know "you can do anything you want to do" but still it might be nice to know some facts about the topology too).

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 6:28 pm

Ok - enough being lazy

Predictors of employment status among adults with Autism Spectrum Disorder
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28211841/

Background: In the United States, adults with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) experience high rates of unemployment and underemployment in relation to adults with other disabilities and the general population. Yet there is little research examining their employment experiences and the predictors of employment status.

Objective: The purpose of this study was to examine the employment characteristics and histories of both employed and unemployed adults with ASD, and the factors that contributed to their employment status.

Methods: This cross-sectional study used an online survey and the Short Effort Reward Imbalance (ERI) Scale to gather data. Multivariate logistic regression analyses were used to examine predictors of employment status and self-reported health.

Results: Of the 254 adults with ASD who participated in this study, 61.42% were employed and 38.58% were unemployed. Over half of the participants reported job imbalance on the Short ERI Scale and the vast majority did not receive any job assistance. Participants who disclosed their ASD diagnosis to their employer were more than three times as likely to be employed than those who did not disclose. Education level was also a significant predictor of employment status.

Conclusions: This study suggests disability disclosure and education level are factors that contribute to employment status.

Keywords: Asperger’s disorder; Competitive employment; disability disclosure; organizations.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 6:56 pm

Employment Research and Reports - The Arc’s Autism Now Center
https://autismnow.org/on-the-job/employ ... d-reports/

[ . . . ]

How Many People with Autism Spectrum Disorders Work in the Community?

There is no good source for this number for adults with autism spectrum disorders. Data from the National Longitudinal Transition Study 2, a 10-year study of youth who received special education services, suggests that young adults with autism spectrum disorders are less likely to work than most other disability groups. The final data collection point was completed in 2009 when participants were age 23-26:

32.5% of young adults with autism spectrum disorders currently worked for pay versus an average of 59.0% for all respondents. Only one disability group had a lower rate of employment participation.
47.7% of youth with autism spectrum disorders worked for pay in the past two years versus an average of 78.4% for all participants.
29.0% of young adults with autism spectrum disorders were looking for work if they were unemployed compared to 47.7% for all participants.
Source: www.nlts2.org

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 7:35 pm

These sources give much more believable numbers than the 15% of adults with ASD employed which I used to hear.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 1:11 am

The old classic 80% always seemed a little high personally.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2021, 9:14 am

I assume this is with respect to diagnosed Autistics. That could've skewed the results.

There is probably a correlation between Autism severity and likelihood of it being assessed and diagnosed. And a correlation between severity and employment status. Employed mild-severity Autistics who did not know they were Autistics would have been incorrectly grouped in the study.

For example: Me. I was definitely employed but it was only through a fluke that--at the age of 64--I was formally assessed and diagnosed as Autism Spectrum Disorder, Level 1 (Mild). Prior to the unlikely circumstances that caused me to seek a diagnosis I would have been incorrectly classified as an employed Allistic.

I find it difficult to believe I am the only Mild-Autistic who wasn't diagnosed.