Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

sm_droid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jul 2009, 2:31 pm

I love films, particualry horror, sci fi and fantasy ones and anything thats generally escapist or surreal. But I find that very often I have to watch a film maybe 2 or 3 times before I fully get whats going on. First time I watch I'm too busy focusing on the visuals (or lack of in some cases) and miss the plot completely. I can watch something and enjoy it without understnding it though. If I really want to understand it I will though, its just that it has to visually stimulating to keep my interest usually.

Anyone else get this?

Emor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jul 2009, 2:42 pm

I actually have quite a good attention spam in terms of following the story as opposed to my NT friends. When I was younger I'd be able to repeat the entire script of a film... idk why I can't now. I generally get the story line but I pretty much never understand the endings nor the relevance of them. I always have to have someone tell me what they mean.
EMZ=P

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 3:41 pm

I am watching " Dark Knight" right now and I only have a vague idea of what's going on. I have a problem following the plots of thrillers where there are crosses and double crosses and double double crosses. I'm confused right from the beginning. Well, I guess I'm not watching it anymore but it's still on. :)
I "get" chick flicks plot-wise because they're usually pretty direct. Boy loves girl-boy loses girl-boy gets girl back.
Anyway with thrillers it seems like I keep missing important details.

sm_droid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jul 2009, 3:53 pm

Aimless wrote:
I am watching " Dark Knight" right now and I only have a vague idea of what's going on. I have a problem following the plots of thrillers where there are crosses and double crosses and double double crosses. I'm confused right from the beginning. Well, I guess I'm not watching it anymore but it's still on. :)
I "get" chick flicks plot-wise because they're usually pretty direct. Boy loves girl-boy loses girl-boy gets girl back.
Anyway with thrillers it seems like I keep missing important details.

Yes, I particulary struggle with thrillers, gangster plots and police things. Trying to remember whats going on with each character takes a lot of concentration for me. Probably explains why i like straightforward good vs evil type stuff. Its not that I'm stupid, far from it. I seem to be able to take meaning form most surreal films to some extent but I think I find things that are too based in reality just dont keep my interest.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 4:03 pm

sm_droid wrote

Quote:
Yes, I particulary struggle with thrillers, gangster plots and police things. Trying to remember whats going on with each character takes a lot of concentration for me. Probably explains why i like straightforward good vs evil type stuff. Its not that I'm stupid, far from it. I seem to be able to take meaning form most surreal films to some extent but I think I find things that are too based in reality just dont keep my interest.

maybe it's a processing thing-things change too quickly-or maybe there's not enough character input to catch my interest.

NowhereWoman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jul 2009, 5:34 pm

It depends. If there are a lot of specific details in combination with fast-moving action, yes, I have to watch it a few times. I lose the plot when the screen is filled with what I see as distractions. I mean...they're not unwarranted, the details are part of the story, but my mind "blanks out" in the presence of tons of fast-moving details.

I LOVE the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and my husband and I own all three extended editions, but I had to watch Fellowship at least three times before I realized Boromir had a name that anyone had said during the movie. Seriously. Stuff like that.

On the other hand, once I do absorb a detail, I will never, ever, ever, ever forget that detail. Period.

sm_droid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jul 2009, 5:43 pm

NowhereWoman wrote:
It depends. If there are a lot of specific details in combination with fast-moving action, yes, I have to watch it a few times. I lose the plot when the screen is filled with what I see as distractions. I mean...they're not unwarranted, the details are part of the story, but my mind "blanks out" in the presence of tons of fast-moving details.

I LOVE the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and my husband and I own all three extended editions, but I had to watch Fellowship at least three times before I realized Boromir had a name that anyone had said during the movie. Seriously. Stuff like that.

On the other hand, once I do absorb a detail, I will never, ever, ever, ever forget that detail. Period.

I think my worst example of missing something completely in films was not cracking onto the fact that Palpatine was the Emperor in the Star Wars preqels until the moment just before he aged lol...I got a lot of stick off people for that one.

I never notice names in films, I just remember the faces, much like in real life for me.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 5:44 pm

I often like to watch a film, read the book and then watch it again but I usually get the plot.

The recent Batman was a good example of a film that I didn't quite get.

Sometimes though, just re watching films opens bits that you missed. For example; In Star Wars II, the "Anakin No!!" line which is shouted by the ghost of Qui Gon Jin.

sm_droid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jul 2009, 5:49 pm

gbollard wrote:
I often like to watch a film, read the book and then watch it again but I usually get the plot.

The recent Batman was a good example of a film that I didn't quite get.

Sometimes though, just re watching films opens bits that you missed. For example; In Star Wars II, the "Anakin No!!" line which is shouted by the ghost of Qui Gon Jin.

I didnt fully get The Dark Knight first time, but I was too busy loving the details and style of it to take in the full extent of what was going on. I was just thinking Batman = Good and Joker = Evil. Watching it second and thrid time I realised the whole point of it was actually about blurring the boundry between good and evil...I think lol

StillStorm
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jul 2009, 5:56 pm

I love films and usually have greater concentration and attention span for them than reading books. On the whole I can usually get the gist of the plot pretty well, though often miss some of the more subtle aspects of some films.

What I do find really difficult though is describing or summarising a film after I've watched it - my mind just doesn't seem to store the details in a way that I can recall in a coherent manner. Is this something that anyone else finds? Say, I got to the cinema with a friend and we're talking about it afterwards, or I'm describing it to someone the next day. Now I'd certainly be able to remember a number of details or good scenes, but anything more detailed or subtle, especially when it comes to the sequence things happened, I just can't describe - my mind just seems to hold a jumble of disconnected details.

I'm also hopeless at remembering names of films, or which actors were in which films - this seems quite an un-aspie thing to me. I just seem to have a superficial memory for that sort of thing - whereas I have quite a good memory for other more abstract things like dates, times, places I've been etc.

sm_droid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jul 2009, 6:05 pm

StillStorm wrote:

What I do find really difficult though is describing or summarising a film after I've watched it - my mind just doesn't seem to store the details in a way that I can recall in a coherent manner. Is this something that anyone else finds? Say, I got to the cinema with a friend and we're talking about it afterwards, or I'm describing it to someone the next day. Now I'd certainly be able to remember a number of details or good scenes, but anything more detailed or subtle, especially when it comes to the sequence things happened, I just can't describe - my mind just seems to hold a jumble of disconnected details.

I kind of get this...I very often find myself talking about scenes that didnt actually happen or not in the way I remember. I also find myself focusing on stuff thats not that relelvent to the main plot, or expect something to happen then get confused when it doesnt as I'm still following that in my head.

SteveeVader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jul 2009, 6:13 pm

I love most movies perticularly classic comedies and really cerebral films, I love old horror because that stuff is actually scary like night of the living dead, old texas chinsaw masacre.
I really think movies are my special interests because I really think in depth and continually talk about films and video games and planes.

OH and DARK KNIGHT easily one of the best films in the last 10 years, fastest grossing movie of all time, fastest to reach 300 million
don't I can't talk about it I'll go insane on it bad me lol

sm_droid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jul 2009, 6:19 pm

SteveeVader wrote:
I love most movies perticularly classic comedies and really cerebral films, I love old horror because that stuff is actually scary like night of the living dead, old texas chinsaw masacre.
I really think movies are my special interests because I really think in depth and continually talk about films and video games and planes.

Classic horror seems to be my latest obssession. First it was Hammer films and that quickly extended to every horror featuring Peter Cushing or Christopher Lee. Now I've just added Universal, Lugosi, Karloff and Vincent Price to that list. It'll take me forever to find them all :!:

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2009, 2:52 pm

sm_droid wrote:
Yes, I particulary struggle with thrillers, gangster plots and police things. Trying to remember whats going on with each character takes a lot of concentration for me.

Hmm, I never really thought about it, but maybe that's why I don't really care for those kinds of shows/movies.

Though sometimes if one really grabs me, I can follow along fairly well...especially if I enjoy it quite a bit, then I'll check out some stuff on IMDB, or get the DVD and enjoy the special features...etc. etc...

eeyore19
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jul 2009, 4:21 pm

I generally don't have a problem following films, and sometimes I'm able to put the pieces of the puzzle together before my wife does. What does trip me up sometimes is trying to keep straight how all of the different characters relate to each other. I'm also very bad at trying to put into words what I liked or didn't like about a movie (I'd be a terrible film critic).

TB
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2009, 4:42 pm

StillStorm wrote:
I love films and usually have greater concentration and attention span for them than reading books. On the whole I can usually get the gist of the plot pretty well, though often miss some of the more subtle aspects of some films.

I'm also hopeless at remembering names of films, or which actors were in which films - this seems quite an un-aspie thing to me. I just seem to have a superficial memory for that sort of thing - whereas I have quite a good memory for other more abstract things like dates, times, places I've been etc.

same except i forget dates and times also XD. i always catch on to the plot fast.
movies are the interest i get the most joy from.