Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

bubzy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Jul 2009, 4:11 pm

Hello-

I would love to learn about those special interests that keep up going. I have been fascinated by weather since as far back as I can remember. Interestingly, my interests have gradually evolved into working with people. See, it's not that I crave any socialization, it's that people's brains are like a puzzle. Getting to motivate someone to have a better life, such as those with disabilities, fascinates me because if I can find the right buttons or pieces of the puzzle, it kind of gives me a rush. I guess when i was younger I looked at weather as being a big puzzle, and realized weather patterns had an impact throughout the globe. Then that moved to animals, getting into their minds and studying their behavior. Then to people. It's like my mind evolved from the inanimate (weather) to animals (non-human) to working with kids to working with people with disabilities. Though I have to say that some of my adult people with disabilities have no impairment in social ability. Then it feels kind of weird because it's almost like a role reversal.

Anyway, look forward to some of your responses.

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 4:53 pm

computers/games ..i been into those since i got my first ps1 when i was 6XD was playing mostly that crash bandicoot racing

Batz
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jul 2009, 4:59 pm

Writing--or better yet creating stories. Always been interested ever since I came up on anime. Now I create stories with anime and out-of-the-box elements intertwined, though I read every genre of fiction.

SeizeTheDay
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 5:05 pm

Down syndrome. Medical conditions. Neurology. Medicine. etc.

"The person who knows everything has a lot to learn."

"Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum" (I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am) René Descartes

Richardce
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jul 2009, 5:12 pm

TV boxsets, i am completely obsessed with them. I am also i little bit obsessed with the human body and creating '24' style storys.

Emor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jul 2009, 5:16 pm

I enjoy reading about diseases/disorders/conditions and their causes and possible cures. Generally these are very narrow, over the past 2 months I've read about:
Capgras Syndrome
Fregoli Syndrome
Stockholm Syndrome
Charles Bonnet Syndrome
Solipsism Syndrome
Seasonal Affective Disorder
Major Depressive Disorder
Bipolar Personality Disorder- Types 1 and 2
Manic Episodes
Multi Personality Disorder
Phantom Limb Syndrome
Osteoporosis
Dysthymia
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
They're all very interesting :D. Of course, memorizing the statistics is just as entertaining.
I've also been reading and taking online Philosophy classes. For around a month my obsession was Solipsism, but then I actually read Rene Descartes, 'First Meditations of Philosophy' and hated the way he constructed his arguments, and found Solipsism Syndrome and the cases of it more interesting. Now I'm reading David Hume's, 'An Enquiry into Human Understanding', far more satisfying! I've also been reading about David Hume himself.
There's also been other small interests like some phones and insects, but meh xD.
EMZ=]

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 5:22 pm

Various through the years. Some are more hobbies, others I obsess over from time to time:

Music
Traditional folk music of the world, particularly of the British Isles
Music evolution
Maps (and constructing elaborate worlds through drawing maps)
Knitting techniques and markup language
Computer programming, in particular language constructs
Contra dance

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 5:35 pm

Researching soul-filled destinations, planning, executing, exploring, photographing, writing about the places. The shrink I went to for dx said I don't have AS because my obsession is USEFUL to others. 8O

Emor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jul 2009, 5:38 pm

Greentea wrote:
Researching soul-filled destinations, planning, executing, exploring, photographing, writing about the places. The shrink I went to for dx said I don't have AS because my obsession is USEFUL to others. 8O

I hate it when I know more than the doctor or whoever I'm consulting in such issues xD.
EMZ=P

bubzy

13 Jul 2009, 5:43 pm

Wow-

This has been very interesting to see some of the respones. I would love to find a way to create different groups of people where they can share facts about there intrests, where to find info., etc. That way we can find people to discuss these things with without worrying that we are boring the other person. Any ideas?

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 6:11 pm

political blogs
gnostic texts
human migration-genome project
quantum mechanics and as it relates to eastern thought
conspiracy theories

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 6:34 pm

Christianity. Specifically the can's and cannot's of it. I kinda seem to ask Christians the same handful of questions just to be able to hear about it. Especially hearing about things criticizing it, very especially in music... which brings me to...

Music. Specifically "indie" music and different ways of obtaining it. I obsess over one band for years at a time as well. Bands with religious themes are bonus points for me.

Books. I obsess more on finding books that I would like to read more than actually reading the books. I like books more if they relate to someone I'm interested in. I can't think of a book where I haven't rushed the ending just so I can start a new one so I can add more to my lists of read and want to read. Which brings me to...

Lists. I love the idea of lists but I find it so overwhelming I just end up thinking about making lists and saying I will when in actuality I don't! I seem to enjoy it though so oh well, even if I rarely accomplish anything.

Autism/other disorders. Self-explanatory and it seems common on here at least.

Past/Other: Certain muppets in Sesame Street until a year or two ago. Scrabble-- still obsessed over it not as much; used to play days without sleep. When I was younger I was obsessed with animal rights/activism/vegetarianism. Forensics and mysteries, still like them but not really obsessed anymore. The color yellow. Clothes. Certain objects. Okay I'll stop now.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 6:47 pm

Birds and nature: Well, I've decided birds are going to be my career... also in school projects became about birds somehow, umm, I carried around a birdbook everywhere and memorized it page by page, etc.

Sonic the Hedgehog: I've done almost everything possible in the fandom, let's just leave it at that.

Brain Disorders: especially autism of course and what I've been dxed with, schizoaffective bipolar type. I also like trying to find info on meltdowns cause I had them very badly as a kid, but I have a hard time with this for some reason.

In the past:
Pokemon.... when I was in high school I was that weird bird/pokemon girl... ummm, I even programmed my graphing calculator with a pokemon program, yeah...

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

bubzy

13 Jul 2009, 7:09 pm

Yeah, meltdowns are interesting as in what causes them. There is certainly a host of factors that can cause them, but mainly it's when someone is losing control. And yes, although adults may not show meltdowns as much as kids, there are many adults that have internal meltdowns in the form of anxiety and depression.

xalepax
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 7:11 pm

My special interest is YouTube. I have made thousands of videos... Now Im working with launching the first video on my new channel..... thats basically my life at the moment....

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 7:29 pm

Aimless, count me in with the conspiracy theories!!