Scandinavia, north Russia, Greenland or North Canada?

Page 2 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 3:59 pm

I am Jewish too ethnically, although I secretely became Christian (but I continue to keep Jewish law and such).

Were you trying to go to Israel because you thought they would be more tolerant to your differences? That is what my mom was bringing up whenever I was going on a next step school-wise, that may be I should apply somewhere in Israel for that very reason. I always refused to do taht out of principle -- the very act of doing that would amount to admitting that I am incapable of surviving under normal circumstances. But then again, that might be just my rebellure against my mom; down inside I am so desperate that I am willing to do anything and everything that might help -- as long as I don't have to tell it to my mom of course.

As a side thought, my mom seems to be more comfortable herself among her own kind. Is it a Jewish thing to be less confident than others, just like they are less physically fit than others? Do you think that is part of why they insist on sticking together so much?

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 4:22 pm

Yes, I hoped to fare better socially here. But I don't find that people here are more tolerant of me than they were back home in South America. But you shouldn't base yourself on my experience alone, of course.

Why Jews stick together...well, that's a long story, it has to do with roots and values...

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 4:32 pm

Roman wrote:
Going to New Zeland or Australia has always been my dream. Somehow it always felt that Southern Hemisphere = Magic, simply because I never been there. Do you have similar feelings about Northern Hemisphere?

I guess I do. I have been to Europe and it did seem magical to me... so old-world, with all the castles and cottages and gardens and all the history. I havent been to America though.

Taking a break.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 5:03 pm

The Nordic countries are your best bet. They are quite a tolerant people though some of them might have more of a problem with you being an immigrant sponging off their benefits than your Asperger's. Denmark in particular has a big anti-immigration movement at the moment.

coralbell
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jul 2009, 5:06 pm

I lived "north of 60" as a very young child, and since then have lived both rurally (central latitude of my province, in Canada) and now live in a city in the south of my province. It seems to me that people are more tolerant when they are more interdependent. For example, I lived in a place where there was only one grocery store, so you would always want to be seen as good customer, because where else are you going to go? Or if its the middle of the winter, at night, and your car battery needs a boost, you had better be able to rely on your neighbour.

I now live in a city which is known for both its extreme cold climate and its support for artists. We like to say that if you are not very outdoorsy in the winter, then you'll be some kind of artist (visual, performing, multi-media, on and on) because you are indoors, at home, so much of the time. If you don't have something creative and productive to do, then the cold can make you really hard to live with. I am involved in both music and craft, and I know that winter is my most productive time.

I have had tolerant (arts sector) workplaces and intolerant (financial sector) workplaces. I mostly temp now or do contracts, in order to avoid the workplace politics. Just giving my two-cents worth here.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 5:15 pm

As we say in Sweden, 'Welcome to Sweden'. You'll be able to start a whole new life here, yes? :wink:

The furthest north I've been is Jämtland. I'll be visiting it again on Wednesday, I'm quite excited.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 7:58 pm

Jämtland looks beautiful.

Are people indeed more tolerant when they're interdependent?

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 8:10 pm

Greentea wrote:
Sue, I didn't know you were a writer! I write X-Files slash fanfic and some of the women, being Canadians, have written some beautiful fics located in north Canada, and that's where I got the idea from. Indeed, they say the things you say here. That's what got me wondering...is a society less focused on people better for Aspies?

Writer's blah topic

Yes, I am one of those.

I do not focus on people as much in my writing. There is little if any dialogue, mostly monolgue, and the people exist for the story. It is all visual. This is the only way I can write.

I am sort of a cross between Alice Monroe and Al Purdy.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2009, 3:10 am

Greentea wrote:
Are there igloos, esquimos and polar bears there? And did you see Santa?
ya we have polar bears roaming on streets and attacking people also we get water by melting snow :lol: nah not really ,u could see it same kind country as canada in weather (cold winters,warm summers) (well mostly)

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2009, 3:40 am

Followthereaper, what's your polar bear called and does she have pups yet. Is your school-bus pulled by reindeer? And how long does it take you to build your own winter igloo without your parents' help?
:wink: :wink: :wink:

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2009, 3:56 am

I saw one polar bear when I visited Hammerfest, Norway.

mosez
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jul 2009, 5:03 am

Well, here I am again. How are you? Got a bit fed up here a while, and later I destroyed my PC, when rearranging the pc room. (the PC fell down)Had to replace most every card in the PC, incuding the main board.
The result is a bigger, faster and better PC.
Had a little struggle to get going again. Passwords etc. had no backups. I had to hack into my own mind. Facebook, WP, everything I had to remember to logon again.
But, here I am, ask away

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2009, 5:18 am

OddFinn wrote:
Well, Finland is between North Russia and Scandinavia. People often confuse Finland as being a part of Scandinavia. So if you meant to include Finland there, here I am.

finland IS a part of FENNOSCANIA.

Scandinavia = Norway + Sweden
Fennoscania = Scandinavia + Finland

"Nordic countries" = Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Iceland and Finland.
"Norse" ^^^ sans finland ;)

me norwegian, live in trondheim. locals often consider swedish jämtland (or jEmtland ;) ) as being an eastern part of this region. cus it used to be. ONE DAY!! !

mosez
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jul 2009, 5:47 am

ZEGH8578 wrote:
OddFinn wrote:
Well, Finland is between North Russia and Scandinavia. People often confuse Finland as being a part of Scandinavia. So if you meant to include Finland there, here I am.

finland IS a part of FENNOSCANIA.

Scandinavia = Norway + Sweden
Fennoscania = Scandinavia + Finland

"Nordic countries" = Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Iceland and Finland.
"Norse" ^^^ sans finland ;)

me norwegian, live in trondheim. locals often consider swedish jämtland (or jEmtland ;) ) as being an eastern part of this region. cus it used to be. ONE DAY!! !

Well, I allways figured Finland to be a part of scandinavia, at least a nordic country. Denmark, likeways.
Denmark is definatly a part of scandinavia in a sense of history, but might not be in the geographic sense of it. I'm maybe wrong at this, but there is a lot of confusion about which countries really belongs to scandinavia or not.
First time I ever heard the word;Fennoscania.
Sure you're not kiddin'?

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2009, 6:01 am

mosez wrote:
First time I ever heard the word;Fennoscania.

It seems there's a d missing. The correct form is Fennoscandia.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2009, 6:06 am

moseeeez! I've been wondering about you! How are you? And yesterday more than ever, because I had to do all my research on Norway by myself. :D Glad to know you and your computer are back in the game :)

Now nem en kepje and tell me, what's the furthest north you've been? From my research yesterday, Norway doesn't have really semi-deserted areas...but would living up north make it easier on Aspies to find jobs?