Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

zee
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2009, 9:17 am

I just wonder if anyone else has problems with wearing certain clothes, and if so, have you found any solutions?

Shirt problems:
If the neck is too small, I feel like I'm being choked all the time. I need to have space around the neck. However, if you cut the necks out of tee shirts you look like a total slob (I do it anyway). Moreover, most "women's" shirts are cut very low, so that you either have to wear another shirt underneath or else people see your bra everytime you bend forward. This may not be a problem if you're posed at an office desk all day, but all my jobs are physical.
Any shirt that's too short feels like it's chafing my stomach.

Underwear problems:
It feels like they are digging into the top of my thighs. I cannot wear underwear on long trips, and when sitting around to much, it is the worst feeling ever.

Sock problems:
I hate how the band pinches in random fleshy parts of the calves.

Pants problems:
The worst is when the pockets are too small; they rub against the top of the thigh, also when they get "bunched up" by the upper thighs. Also, if pants don't fit just right, they feel like they chafe my stomach.

SHoe problems:
They usually just don't seem "even". I always retie them, but it's never quite right.

I have found a few solutions here and there: I started buying expensive hiking socks which apply more even pressure everywhere, and I've learned to identify problem clothes quicker when shopping by past experience. I buy more expensive hiking shoes and wear them in so they last for years, and after some time don't feel so uneven anymore.
I started wearing a sports bra--which feels very tight and unhealthy--but it's not so bad when people see it when I bend forwards.

But still, at the end of the day, when other people want to go socialize,all I can think about is running home to strip out of these stupid clothes.

Eller
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2009, 10:14 am

I have a problem with seams. They're scratchy. I usually put tape over them. (From the inside, of course. Nobody gets to see it so it's not an issue that will be noticed.) And I don't wear certain types of cloth, but that's simple to solve - I buy only high quality clothing (which tends to be more socially accepted anyway) and choose only items that feel good to me. Since I'm very interested in fashion, nobody will notice anything "off".
And I only like shoes with very soft soles. That's a bit more difficult since I can't show up in sneakers everywhere. I have found a brand of sneakers I particularly like (and fortunately, they're also fashionable) and bought several sets of those, in different colors. If sneakers are not possible at some social occasion, I'll wear a pair of plain black shoes I got new (and soft) soles made for. Unfortunately, getting something like that manufactured isn't cheap, so I wear them as rarely as possible - wouldn't like to have to replace them.
Oh, and yay for hiking socks! :D

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2009, 10:18 am

I have some problems with the feel of certain clothes. In my experience, however, shirts always have too wide a collar. I actually wish they sold more shirts with tighter collars here.

As for socks, I don't have a problem with them anymore unless there are prints on them, but that is not often with adult size socks. Shoes, I don't wear laces since I can't tie them anyway, so I have shoes with zippers. I do have a problem with shoes always having too high heels for my liking, or if they don't, they are low shoes and won't reach my ankles, which makes me feel like my ankles are constantly swaying (or whatever it is that ankles do).

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2009, 10:25 am

When wearing a clip-on tie with a button-down shirt, I do get a slight constrictive feeling in the neck area, but it doesn't feel quite like I'm being strangled or anything.

But other than that, I can't really think of any.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

activebutodd
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2009, 10:41 am

zee wrote:
I just wonder if anyone else has problems with wearing certain clothes, and if so, have you found any solutions?

DO I EVER! You're in luck zee, I've pretty much experienced every one of these and taken action.

Quote:
Shirt problems:
If the neck is too small, I feel like I'm being choked all the time. I need to have space around the neck. However, if you cut the necks out of tee shirts you look like a total slob (I do it anyway). Moreover, most "women's" shirts are cut very low, so that you either have to wear another shirt underneath or else people see your bra everytime you bend forward. This may not be a problem if you're posed at an office desk all day, but all my jobs are physical.
Any shirt that's too short feels like it's chafing my stomach.

I get that with turtlenecks and some crew necks. I like scoop neck t shirts. They're modest but don't grab your throat, and look like this Image

Alternately, get a really soft stretchy singlet that's tight to wear under your shirt. Preferably with a design, so when people see it they know it's outerwear. (this will also stop the top shirt chafing your stomach) Try looking in basic clothing chainstores they tend to have really basic clothing available that is what you want.

Quote:
Underwear problems:
It feels like they are digging into the top of my thighs. I cannot wear underwear on long trips, and when sitting around to much, it is the worst feeling ever.

Don't wear bikini or hi cut styles. Choose 'boyleg briefs', and reject any that have a rough/ thick bulky edge at the legs. Anything hard and annoying to press will be uncomfortable to sit on.

Quote:
Sock problems:
I hate how the band pinches in random fleshy parts of the calves.

There are some socks called 'circulation socks' that are designed not to do this. They're for diabetics, so you can get more info on the diabetes sites maybe? (They may also be called 'aeroplane socks'.)

Quote:
Pants problems:
The worst is when the pockets are too small; they rub against the top of the thigh, also when they get "bunched up" by the upper thighs. Also, if pants don't fit just right, they feel like they chafe my stomach.

Stretch jeans. Not the hard tough ones pretending to be 'stretch' that are 1% Lycra, but the ultra stretchy ones and in 'bootleg' style. I got a $15 pair like that, then bought Levis in the same style. Comfy as. They stretch heaps so you can have them tight, and because they're tight they don't bunch. Also sit and squat and bend in the changeroom before you get any of them.

Quote:
SHoe problems:
They usually just don't seem "even". I always retie them, but it's never quite right.

Try the shops that cater to different widths and lengths, you may have slightly different sized feet.

Quote:
I started wearing a sports bra--which feels very tight and unhealthy--but it's not so bad when people see it when I bend forwards.

*shudder* I hate sports bras. Get yourself fitted in normal ones, some shops have a fitting service which means that you cut down on chafing/pinching caused by the wrong size. Also you might be able to cover it with a tight smooth camisole in black/white which will cover you up and simply look like a tank top.
Even learn about the fashion technique of layering, or buy a knit or a crossover style shirt which will not gape. Image
Or try a vest.

Quote:
I have found a few solutions here and there: I started buying expensive hiking socks which apply more even pressure everywhere, and I've learned to identify problem clothes quicker when shopping by past experience. I buy more expensive hiking shoes and wear them in so they last for years, and after some time don't feel so uneven anymore.
But still, at the end of the day, when other people want to go socialize,all I can think about is running home to strip out of these stupid clothes.

Yep, trial and error is the best way. Can't you tell that I have the same issues and have been doing extensive research? :lol: It's turned into an obsession. I hope these help, these are they ways I've fixed the worst issues I had with clothing without resorting to wearing pyjamas all day.

27 Jul 2009, 11:22 am

I can't stand wool on my bare skin so I hardly wear it and I wear a shirt under it.

I don't like certain clothes that feels scratchy on the outside my bare arms rub against it. I had to wear a dress in choir we made and the material was scratchy so I always kept my coat on my lap so I wouldn't have to feel it with my bare arms.

I do not like wearing anything below my belly button, pants and shorts must come up to my belly button. I don't like how low they are so I pull them up and I do not like them hanging real low. I hate the feeling. I hate them being loose around my bottom. I prefer having the bottom of the shorts or pants near my crotch than hanging way below it. I avoid hip huggers.

Sometimes bras bother me because of the wires so I use toilet paper to keep it away from my skin.

Rolled down socks used to bother me because I didn't like the heavy feeling so I always kept them pulled up. Then I started to keep them rolled down because I feel fat with them pulled up so it made me get used to it.

Stretch pants, makes me feel fat so I don't wear them or wear a long shirt that covers my thighs. I don't have any stretch pants anyway.

But luckily I don't have very many sensory issues so clothes aren't really a problem for me. Being sensitive to many of them sounds real annoying because then it makes it really hard to shop for new clothes and buying the right kinds.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2009, 1:03 pm

Threads like this make me not so sad about neuropathy.

I have a problem with shirts grabbing my neck, and I HATE shirts fitting around the stomach. If it's tight there, I will NOT wear it. I end up buying guys t-shirts. Oh, and the length thing too, I like shirts that cover my butt a bit, so I used to buy teen boys shirts from skate shops. Caint anymore though, darn 'top'. And bras with lace are OUT. Has to be smooth cotton. Goddess makes a style thats nice, the wire is wrapped pretty well.

Because of my leg I cannot wear hells, so thats not an issue, but I hate them anyway. I love my Sketchers, they cover my whole foot and they make an all black mens pair so they are pretty well suited for the work I do. And I won't wear shorts, only these cargo pants I find at Old Navy. Comfy! They fit loose to, cause I hate bunching.

Most of my clothes are a few sizes too big, but I just caint stand the fabric being against my skin constantly.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2009, 1:04 pm

Shirt problems - I can't stand it when the sleeves on a t-shirt are too short...I spend so much time tugging on them to stretch out the sleeves. I also hate when the neck is too small. Underwear problems: Can't wear boxers, they are too loose and bunch up ALL the time. Boxer-briefs are totally unbearable since they are tight in the upper thigh area, so only tighty-whities work for me. Hanes are the most comfortable. Sock problems: I like ankle socks, but not the ones that are really short. Pants problems: Jeans are not do-able 99% of the time. The cold hard denim is like torture. But I'll wear them sometimes - I'm getting more desensitized to them. Shoe problems: Regular shoes, like Nike, New Balance, etc. are too flimsy so I wear skateboard shoes...Twice the padding!

So yeah, I have clothing problems.

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2009, 1:30 pm

I seldom if ever wear trousers at all (am female), and it's purely because of physical comfort issues. I can't stand the way seams seem to dig into you and how most constrict whenever you move. Also, the only trousers I will occasionally wear are the capri pants style with shorter legs, because I can't bear the bottoms of ordinary legs trailing on my feet. All other clothing must be well away from feet, at least several inches. Apart from coats for some reason, I don't like long sleeves either - fabric must be away from my hands.

Never, ever wear a bra because of extreme psychological and physical discomfort.

Some clothes I can't bear being tight-fitting, but others I really need to be tight fitting, such as socks, and can't stand any loose feel.

MorbidMiss
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jul 2009, 2:07 pm

Depending on how much heavy activity you do and your cup size the tank tops with bras built in can be perfect. They are more comfortable than regular bras to me. Even at a D cup I feel I have enough support, although I have to warn that the most "active" I generally get on any given day is chasing my toddler, there is not a ton of bouncing involved.

I do not like shirts choking me either, I absolutely cannot even think about wearing a turtle neck. Just thinking of it makes me feel like I am being strangled and I do not have sensory issues generally. I just do not like things touching my neck, specifically the front of it. I second the scoop neck idea, they are comfy and very fashionable right now also. You can get longer tanks, there has been a lot more interest in "modest" style clothing in fashion lately. I think all of the patterns going around on the internet reminded those people that they were missing out on some money by having all of the shirts/skirts/shorts be super short.

Not all hip hugging jeans are the same, some of them are almost obscenely low cut, but the pair I have (rarely wear jeans myself anymore) is actually just below my belly button. If you cover it with a shirt could you possibly use a "bella band" like for pregnant women? It is just kind of like a tube top, only it is meant to help them keep their pants up once they cannot button them anymore. *giggle* I never tried them myself, I blow up like a balloon when I am pregnant so it would be no help to me.

For boyshort briefs: I have a specific brand that I like, Haynes Comfort Soft. They do not have a wide waistband, the seams are small and not itchy to me, baring in mind that I am most likely not as sensitive as you are but they are softer than any other underwear I've had that were mostly cotton. I get them at Walmart for fairly cheap. Also if you do not mind non-natural fibers Gillian O'Malley Ultimate Seamless Boy Shorts from Target. Unfortunately they make me feel kind of sweaty, so I can only wear them if it is chilly out. Other than that they are very comfortable.

darby54
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Jul 2009, 2:56 pm

Clothes-hypersensitive here, too. Some great suggestions above.

activebutodd wrote:
zee wrote:
Underwear problems:

Don't wear bikini or hi cut styles. Choose 'boyleg briefs', and reject any that have a rough/ thick bulky edge at the legs. Anything hard and annoying to press will be uncomfortable to sit on.

This may not be for everyone (and I can't believe I'm discussing my undies on a public forum :lol:) but after years of trial and error, I have found the absolute most comfortable undies for me are the Jockey Elance string cotton bikini. Don't be put off by the "string" thing - this is NOT a thong... there is full coverage, but they are the most "barely there" comfy undies I've ever found. The cotton is very soft and has lots of give, and if you have the correct size there is no digging into skin.

activebutodd wrote:
zee wrote:

*shudder* I hate sports bras. Get yourself fitted in normal ones, some shops have a fitting service which means that you cut down on chafing/pinching caused by the wrong size. Also you might be able to cover it with a tight smooth camisole in black/white which will cover you up and simply look like a tank top...

MorbidMiss wrote:
Depending on how much heavy activity you do and your cup size the tank tops with bras built in can be perfect. They are more comfortable than regular bras to me. Even at a D cup I feel I have enough support, although I have to warn that the most "active" I generally get on any given day is chasing my toddler, there is not a ton of bouncing involved.

I have worn tight smooth camisoles and tank tops in place of bras for years. I don't even own a bra... though I realize this isn't an option for everyone... but for me a close-fitting comfy stretchy tank gives me all I need, even when I'm trotting my horse.

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2009, 4:54 pm

i have no much problems with clothing but i have nothing against some pressure 8)

i like cloths that are not loose

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2009, 5:54 pm

Socks used to be a pain, they'd itch and get twisted and fall down.. so I stopped wearing them. Shoes also. It's been great.

Underwear... ffff, they stopped making the kind I like, so I don't know what I'll do when mine fall apart. D:

Shirts.. got no problem, shirts are grand.

pants. Oh god pants. My continuing struggle. I found the PERFECT pair of pants, they were sooo comfy with perfect pockets and a perfect waist, but of course there had to be something terribly wrong with them. They must have been dyed with snake venom or something because if I sweat, they start to EAT MY FLESH. But I wore them anyway, until they starting getting holes, which was much too soon, god dammit. And now I'm stuck in pants limbo with a pair of capri/shorts things that have a drawstring that either falls down my ass or digs into my hips and gives me a muffin top. I'm seriously considering learning the art of making pants. Then I can recreate the snake-death pants in a normal HUMAN-COMPATIBLE material.

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2009, 7:19 pm

Well..I wasn't going too, but you're not so lucky

I cannot stand any shirt sleeve below the elbow

Only on Jackets when it's really cold, no sweaters

The other main thing is nothing around the neck

not even a necklace, X-wife made me wear one, I hated it.

No jewelry anywhere, don't like it on me, on others, anything goes. (or everything) :lol:

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2009, 8:05 pm

Shirts:
Must be tight. I always wear tight tanktops of some kind underneath and it makes me feel better. Tags don't bother me too often unless they are on the side. Can't be short, must be longer.

Pants:
Prefer skinny jeans. I hate when jeans rub against me. All through Elementary I refused to wear jeans too. I only wear jeans when I leave the house, otherwise I wear pajama bottom capris and other kinds of shorts.

Shoes:
Trouble tying shoes. I prefer wearing flip flops. Socks have to be no-show socks and very thin.

dustintorch
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2009, 8:17 pm

I used to have a lot of problems with tags...I was thinking about why I haven't had any problems with this recently and then I looked through all my shirts and realized none of them had tags. I guess they don't make many of them with tags anymore. I can't wear tight pants if I'm going to have to sit for a long time. Also, my pockets can't be bunched up or I'm always fixing them. I have to have headphones that go in the ear. I hate wearing the ones that strap over the head. Also, the wire connecting the headphones has to be free from restriction. If the wire gets caught on my clothes and it tugs on my ears, I'll get physically upset. I don't like having loose pocket or I'll constantly be paranoid that my stuff is going to follow out of them. I guess that one's normal though. I can't have a shirt be too short or I'll be tugging on it all day. Lastly, I hate wool.