Page 3 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2006, 9:11 pm

Nuttdan wrote:
But I also totally agree. It's "my words" being linked to ads, just lame in that regard.
I am looking into the Copyright Laws for sure.

GalileoAce
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2006, 9:59 pm

I don't have much problem with the ads at the top and this side. Gotta pay for the site somehow...

But the green text thingys I find really offensive..It's almost like some SciFi where every 5th word you speak a little screen on your clothes shows an advertisment for what you just said..

Another thing I find HIGHLY annoying is the ads at the top that contain sounds when the mouse moves over them... I can't tell you how annoying they are...

Cade
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2006, 10:20 pm

I don't think they are tasteful. They are distracting, espeically for someone so visually dominant like myself (and many other Aspies - we're not good at ignoring details, y'know)That take away from the poster's words, even if you don't open the link. I find that intrusive. I also dislike a program that interjects intself into what i or someone else has written and used our words as ads. I mean, it'slike consumerist intellectual hijacking or something.

If I can opt out of them I will. I understand the situation alex is in with running this site, so I won't hammer away at this. But since Nuttdan asked, I offer my take on it.

I don't have Firefox, and my Earthlink browser doesn't block them. How do I opt out, if I can? If I can't, yeah, I'll have a bigger issue with it.

GalileoAce
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2006, 10:27 pm

I just added the Firefox Extensions that Sean posted up, and 0 ads... So they're good. But it doesn't much help people who don't use Firefox, nor would I suggest everyone switch..

I think something needs to be worked out, so there's something that will bring in the most amount money, with the least amount of site disruption.

I would donate to the site, personally, but I'm not in a good financial place to do so...

Ladysmokeater
Veteran
Veteran

Location: North of Atlanta, South of Boston, East of the Mississippi, and West of the Atlantic

27 Jan 2006, 10:28 pm

they are annoying, but I understand the need.....

Cade
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2006, 10:30 pm

I also would like to add that these sponsored links appear to be interfering with my browser's ability to load the thread pages. I'm getting a half load, and then the screen goes blank - it's seems to freeze up when it tries to load the links. That's definitely frustrating. I have Earthlink dial-up - I suspect this was designed with nicer, faster types of connections in mind.

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2006, 11:11 pm

They even affects somebodies signature too come on this is really stupid I think very much. These adds need to GO.

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2006, 11:31 pm

alex wrote:
I don't see what the big deal is. I've been *very* helpful in listening to suggestions and complaints. What makes you think I won't do so about intellitext?

Hmm, I dunno, maybe it might have something to do with the fact that you're turning the site into a cesspool. Don't hold me on that, though.

alex wrote:
Something has to pay the bills. If you ran a site this size you'd realize how expensive it is to do so.

Gee, I could have sworn that just two weeks ago you told me hosting costs were "trivial." Oh, wait! There it is in my IM logs! What do you know!

alex
Developer
Developer

27 Jan 2006, 11:32 pm

TB_Samurai wrote:
I assume that you probably have to pay to get rid of ads. I would, but we're low on money right now and my dad's trying to save money so I can get a dragon fursuit built.

No, Opt-out of the green links is free. I will be adding an option to your control panel which will allow you to do this.

alex
Developer
Developer

27 Jan 2006, 11:39 pm

ghotistix wrote:
alex wrote:
I don't see what the big deal is. I've been *very* helpful in listening to suggestions and complaints. What makes you think I won't do so about intellitext?

Hmm, I dunno, maybe it might have something to do with the fact that you're turning the site into a cesspool. Don't hold me on that, though.

alex wrote:
Something has to pay the bills. If you ran a site this size you'd realize how expensive it is to do so.

Gee, I could have sworn that just two weeks ago you told me hosting costs were "trivial." Oh, wait! There it is in my IM logs! What do you know!

Please don't misquote me. I said hosting was trivial compared to the other expenses which are quite high.

Hosting isn't what makes a site great. Also, I'd hardly call the site a cesspool. I'm insulted by the very idea.

alex
Developer
Developer

27 Jan 2006, 11:43 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
Sean wrote:
Bec wrote:
Sean wrote:
Bec wrote:
All of these ads are really irritating. It's gone too far in my opinion. WP is supposed to be about the members, not the ads. It needs to stop.

That's what Firefox is for- and all the ad blocking and Javascript blocking extensions available for it. ;) I haven't seen an ad in weeks! 8)

I use Firefox. I have my pop-up blocker on, but that doesn't help with this site. Where is the ad blocker?

No Script:
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=722&application=firefox

Ad blocker:
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=10&application=firefox

And then be sure to add the filter rule to block content from http://wrongplanet.us.intellitxt.com/*" to your list of Adblock rules. This seems to have eliminated them from what I can tell briefly.

That should work. For those using Safari, I recommend PithHelmet for ad-blocking although it's very aggressive and blocks a few things that aren't ads unless you use a custom configuration.

Also, There is ad-blocking software for internet explorer. I know Symantec makes something.

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2006, 11:55 pm

Is there a list of words that is being used? I ask this so I will not use these words. I would like to see the list if it is possible please.

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2006, 12:13 am

alex wrote:
Please don't misquote me. I said hosting was trivial compared to the other expenses which are quite high.

Yeah, and WrongPlanet is really showing all that money pouring into it. I suppose having features that actually work isn't very high on the list of things to blow cash on?

alex wrote:
Hosting isn't what makes a site great.

Look at this, an entire thread full of people talking about how great WrongPlanet is!

alex wrote:
Also, I'd hardly call the site a cesspool. I'm insulted by the very idea.

I get it. You're right and everybody else is wrong. Good to know.

If you're just looking to get rich off of WrongPlanet, you'd might as well come clean so new members who aren't used to your antics won't have to be taken by surprise whenever this sort of thing happens.

GalileoAce
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2006, 12:32 am

You're out of line ghostix.... Wrong or right, your tone is way out of line for any member.

MindOfOrderedChaos
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2006, 12:34 am

GalileoAce wrote:
You're out of line ghostix.... Wrong or right, your tone is way out of line for any member.

Surprisingly I agree with you.

MindOfOrderedChaos
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2006, 12:39 am

I think Alex should be repected for his work on creating this site and to the level that it actually does function and work at. I don't find many problems with WP and its much better than any thing I could of done my self. The fact is Alex didn't have to make WP and if he hadn't would there be another site like WP now? Probably not.

If all that you have to comaw it was in portage, so I'll give it a lplain about this site is a few adds (Is there pop up adds? My pop up blocker works fairly well) then I don't think you have any grounds to call this entire site and community compost. I think it is the people that make WP and you are effectivly insulting ever one by saying that Ghostix.