Sea Gull

27 Jan 2006, 7:16 pm

^What he said, man.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2006, 7:16 pm

Bec wrote:
All of these ads are really irritating. It's gone too far in my opinion. WP is supposed to be about the members, not the ads. It needs to stop.

That's what Firefox is for- and all the ad blocking and Javascript blocking extensions available for it. ;) I haven't seen an ad in weeks! 8)

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2006, 7:18 pm

Can it block intellitext ads?

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2006, 7:30 pm

AbominableSnoCone wrote:
Can it block intellitext ads?

I see one little (text) Google ad by the member list now that I just upgraded my ad blocking extension, but no green links in the posts. That is fine with me. My big reason for blocking all the ActiveX and flash ads was because how hard they would run my CPU when they had a glitch, and I'm running a hyper-threaded 3.0gHz Pentium 4!

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2006, 7:31 pm

I think it'll get better once I'm used to it. Right now I'm just reacting to it as if it's a link put there by a member and that's throwing me off. if I still hate it in two weeks I'll consider it a problem. But I think I'll grow accustomed; and it defintely beats staring at cleavage while I talk about body image issues. ;)

Nuttdan
WP Co-Founder
WP Co-Founder

27 Jan 2006, 7:32 pm

Alex called me and asked me what I thought, and I gave him my usual angry rant about tastefulness and not trying to force things on people or diluting the value of the site.

He's also trying to make the site better. Some of the newer content on here is pretty darn good. Ads do enable that improvement, to some degree.

Like I've mentioned before, I'm working on the new version of WP.net with a new design, and I'm really worried about what's going to happen with it. I'm not getting paid a dime for my time that could be spent taking more paying clients, so the ads really get to me now.

But I've committed to the task, and I'm carefully trying to design places for ads that look good and don't interfere...but my guess is in a month after it's launched, it'll just have tons of inconsistent and irrelevant ads in every random nook and cranny possible.

So I'm trying to suggest ways of making this better because I really don't want my efforts to be in vain. Let's hear some rational arguments from you guys for and against different kinds of ads. To me, maybe a big ol' banner at the top and bottom of the forums and JUST THAT would be reasonable. Some well-placed text ads on the front page would be good. I dunno. I think we'd both be interested in hearing because our own conceptions of ads because mine and alex's are probably not aligned with the opinions/expectations of the users.

Do the current ads bug people here, or, within a certain degree, *are* they still tasteful?

Last edited by Nuttdan on 27 Jan 2006, 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2006, 7:33 pm

Serissa wrote:
But I think I'll grow accustomed; and it defintely beats staring at cleavage while I talk about body image issues. ;)

PMSLMAO!! !

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2006, 7:38 pm

What I don't like is using My words as a advertisement, that to Me is going a bit to far in the end. Yes You need ads but this type of advertisement I don't think so in the end. I like My words to be My words I have typed them Myself not to make a advertisement in the end. Alex I think this is going a bit to far. My words are My words nobody else. Do I have to Copyright Them or What? I hope I Do Not Need to Do That.

Nuttdan
WP Co-Founder
WP Co-Founder

27 Jan 2006, 7:40 pm

I'm looking through the site more, my feelings are kinda mixed now about the green text.

It does give the opportunity for some interesting links to thinks that aren't "aspergers cure!" google ads or generic untargeted graphical ones. I think that's kind of neat, and in a way, less intrusive.

But I also totally agree. It's "my words" being linked to ads, just lame in that regard.

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2006, 7:44 pm

I think the google text ads are perfectly unobtrusive. A banner ad is okay, but the animated ones can cause a lot of problems as Sean said. So I think we should insist on only non-animated ads. I really don't think we should stick with the green ad-links for much longer.

Nuttdan
WP Co-Founder
WP Co-Founder

27 Jan 2006, 7:48 pm

One site where the ads *really* get to me is on SparkNotes. Here I am, trying to review my knowledge of The Scarlet Letter and there's this animated crap at three points embedded in the actual text I'm reading. Extremely distracting.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2006, 7:55 pm

What if there was a random link in each of our sigantures at the end of whatever our signature really is (if we have one, if we don't, there'd just be the link)? That wouldn't interrupt the flow mcuh more than sigs do alreayd. Is this feasible? ((Assuming, of course, it doesn't mean taking away our current sugs.))

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2006, 8:03 pm

Sean wrote:
Bec wrote:
All of these ads are really irritating. It's gone too far in my opinion. WP is supposed to be about the members, not the ads. It needs to stop.

That's what Firefox is for- and all the ad blocking and Javascript blocking extensions available for it. ;) I haven't seen an ad in weeks! 8)

I use Firefox. I have my pop-up blocker on, but that doesn't help with this site. Where is the ad blocker?

JsMom
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jan 2006, 8:06 pm

People discuss a lot of personal information and feelings on this site. Adding ads to our words makes it feel like we are being exploited...like "big brother" is watching. I don't really think that is an unreasonable perception. It may certainly make people think twice before posting, which defeats one of the main purposes of this site.

The ads at the top, bottom and left side don't even phase many people because they are the usual places for ads to appear and are generally accepted.

I understand how costly it is to run a website...however, reconsideration of ad placement on our words would be appreciated.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2006, 8:09 pm

Bec wrote:
Sean wrote:
Bec wrote:

I use Firefox. I have my pop-up blocker on, but that doesn't help with this site. Where is the ad blocker?

No Script:
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=722&application=firefox

Ad blocker:
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=10&application=firefox

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2006, 8:44 pm

Sean wrote:
Bec wrote:
Sean wrote:
Bec wrote:

No Script:
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=722&application=firefox

Ad blocker:
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=10&application=firefox

And then be sure to add the filter rule to block content from http://wrongplanet.us.intellitxt.com/*" to your list of Adblock rules. This seems to have eliminated them from what I can tell briefly.