Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

danielcanberra
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Feb 2006, 5:12 am

My iPod died yesterday. I was loading Rammstein's Sehnsucht on and it crashed the computer. Everytime I tried to put the Pod on, it kept on crashing the computer.

Something about device driver error and no longer recognising the 'hardware'. I think it also wiped 4,500 songs.

I like to listen to my Pod in the morning on the way to work while I am walking. It helps to prepare me for the workday. Listening to music helps me to stop thinking and I can relax for 20 minutes before I arrive.

Not having the music this morning put me into a very agitated mood.

I don't know what to do. I need it to listen to music while I walk to work.

Perhaps I can get an iPod shuffle in the meantime?

I don't know how to fix the old iPod. It is 18 months old and is the 1st or 2nd generation before the click wheel came out.

Help!! !

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2006, 8:30 am

Can you send it into www.apple.com for repairs (can you afford to)? I'd look it up on ther web site.

pad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2006, 2:09 pm

that sucks. gracias.

Wisguy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2006, 3:11 pm

Have you tried rebooting the iPod? On my 3rd-gen unit, it is rebooted by pressing the 'play/pause' and 'menu' buttons at the same time for several seconds, something that I do every month or two as a regular maintanence thing.

Otherwise, I would also contact Apple. Failing that, you should be able to find reasonably-priced used units on eBay.

Good luck!

Mike

alex
Developer
Developer

07 Feb 2006, 4:46 pm

Umm, it sounds like your ipod isn't broken. It sounds like your windows installation is screwed up. Missing device driver is a Microsoft problem, not an apple one. I bet you can use the iPod on a Mac without any problems.

A device can't crash a computer. A crash is always the operating system's fault.

Wisguy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2006, 5:12 pm

alex wrote:
Umm, it sounds like your ipod isn't broken. It sounds like your windows installation is screwed up. Missing device driver is a Microsoft problem, not an apple one. I bet you can use the iPod on a Mac without any problems.

A device can't crash a computer. A crash is always the operating system's fault.

I started to think in that direction a short while after I posted my thoughts on rebooting (it can't hurt to do that anyway). Check your OS installation.

Does your iPod work when you try to play it? Does iTunes work on your computer's speakers when you try to play it? If so, then you have an OS problem.

Mike

danielcanberra

08 Feb 2006, 5:16 am

Thank you all, for your kind advice.

I've asked a colleague from work (the same thing happened to him but his iPod was set to Mac on PC) to find out what he can do.