Does anyone else have seasonal depression?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2009, 5:01 pm

I get depressed when I can't go outside, but that's easily fixed because there's no problem with going outside during winter. I may end up going out in a negative 5 degree day (that's Fahrenheit, not Celsius), but by golly I will have my sunshine!

I guess it's not really "depression". It's not like the episodic major depression I've gotten, when I couldn't think straight or plan things or sometimes get out of bed. It's more like a fuzzy-headed sort of half-anxious, half-annoyed, mostly-tired state. Sunshine is vital for me. Thankfully I live up north far enough that my pale skin doesn't automatically mean I will get burnt to a crisp, because I hate sunburns and the smell and feel of sunscreen about equally. I still try not to stay out longer than an hour at a time on cloudy or wintery days, no longer than a half hour in direct sunlight.

I think, maybe, that getting enough sunlight does fight real depression even when it's not the seasonal kind; but it could also be the moderate exercise I tend to engage in when I'm outdoors--walking, usually, or messing with my flower beds. I haven't been on a long hike in such a long time... I'm probably out of practice. I really miss it. I used to go all the time when I lived near a lot of trails, but now I'm in this town where you get nothing but paved bike trails (boring!), anemic patches of trees, and farmland.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

crone
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Sep 2009, 5:37 pm

I have SAD. We moved to AZ nine years ago for my health and suddenly that went away. Now I only get it during the monsoon season when it can be cloudy for several days at a time. I'm ok for about two days and third day is bad, feel like my feet are concrete, no energy, dragging myself around, grumpy, and I hate it! But the weird thing is that when we moved, our Himalayan cat who was a total loner and wouldn't bond with anyone, suddenly began playing, purring, and romping with the other cats. It was amazing! I never gave a thought to animals having this, but seeing the difference in him has convinced me that why not? He also sleeps a lot more and is lethargic on cloudy days so there you go. And the lights didn't help me either Trinny!

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2009, 8:08 pm

I like it when it gets cooler. Right now, we are going through the hottest time of year in Santa Maria, CA. It is over 95 degrees. I can't stand that kind of heat. I have to drink a lot of water to avoid collapsing from the heat.

Night_Owl_Amber
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Sep 2009, 9:19 pm

I used to be the other way round, where I'd hate summer and get slightly depressed once it got to March and the evenings started to get longer. I'd be really happy once the end of August came because I knew the evenings would start getting longer and the weather cooler.
Now I dont really get depressed when summers coming, I just look forward to all the summer outdoor things that are gonna happen.

Noa x