What is the proper thing to do with this?

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

31 Aug 2009, 11:05 am

Being given a Bible at college is something that happened to me once. I just want to share this with you---and realize---I am not offering any advice here or giving a sermon---I'm just relating this story because this thread made me think of it.

The date was October 1, 1986, and I was 21 years old and attending college at Ohio University in Athens, Ohio. I drove to and from there each day of classes. So I was on the road about 3 hours each day. Well, on this particular day, I arrived at my assigned parking area, which was a fairly big walk from my class. As I was walking past the cafeteria area on this early morning, a man hurriedly walked across the street toward me. He handed me a Gideon Bible (New Testament). He said, "you might need this today." I told him thanks and I carried it with me in my pocket. On my way home later that day, I noticed the clouds darkening. Ohio State Route 32 became very lonely---hardly any traffic---just me in my VW Beetle. Everything grew eerily calm and still. Within 5 minutes, in Vinton County, weather's fury broke loose. Trees were falling, limbs were flying through the air, and my VW Beetle's windshield wipers bent around the side of the car. The hard rain was somehow entering my car and formed an inch or two pool of water on my floorboard. I started to slow down to pull over, but at that moment, the wind was trying to pick up the side of my car. I was in a tornado. And there in my pocket was that Gideon Bible. I didn't have time to think, but after the storm retreated, I remembered the man's voice..."you might need this today."

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2009, 12:34 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
Peko wrote:
I just had a faire at college where they brought many of the businesses & stuff in from the community. Long story short, one of the stands that was represented was from a church & the one guy from the church basically gave me & everyone else who walked by a copy of "New Testament Psalms Proverbs". I don't mean to be rude to people who are religious but as I am not Christian (at least in a traditional manner, still trying to find my own path when it comes to religion). I prefer religious groups that preach tolerance, blah, blah not going to make it a speech. The fact is I don't need it & wanted to know what other people think I should do with it, (keep it anyway, throw it out, leave it somewhere randomly, etc.)? I'd give it away but I don't know anyone who would want it. My family is not exactly religious & b/c my parents are lesbians, they are usually uncomfortable whenever entering a church b/c of the stupid stares & stuff. What in the world should I do with this thing mini religious book?

p.s. I was not expecting religious groups (local churches & such) to be represented. They even had a stand for the local Muslim group. (I haven't been here long & didn't know they exist until today.) Most of the stuff were local stores that offer students deals (its a college town basically).

GEE, why did you take the Bible!?

You know, it would be funny if Christianity were true. After all, if there WERE a God, and he demanded something, there would be no tolorence. After all, Viruses don't forgive you. Once you give them a chance, you caught them and that is that!

After all, a religion is supposedly governed by nature or god, so it isn't subject to anyone's decree. If it were, it would just be a club that is full of hypocrites.

Trust me, if the bible is taken at face value, it give conclusive evidence that all humans are the product of incest (from 1 man and 1 woman with a number of kids . . . cmon, that's genetically impossible). Granted, with as screwed up as humanity is, i wouldnt be surprised if incest was the reason behind our misery.

dadsgotas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Sep 2009, 3:43 pm

glider18 wrote:
Being given a Bible at college is something that happened to me once. I just want to share this with you---and realize---I am not offering any advice here or giving a sermon---I'm just relating this story because this thread made me think of it.

The date was October 1, 1986, and I was 21 years old and attending college at Ohio University in Athens, Ohio. I drove to and from there each day of classes. So I was on the road about 3 hours each day. Well, on this particular day, I arrived at my assigned parking area, which was a fairly big walk from my class. As I was walking past the cafeteria area on this early morning, a man hurriedly walked across the street toward me. He handed me a Gideon Bible (New Testament). He said, "you might need this today." I told him thanks and I carried it with me in my pocket. On my way home later that day, I noticed the clouds darkening. Ohio State Route 32 became very lonely---hardly any traffic---just me in my VW Beetle. Everything grew eerily calm and still. Within 5 minutes, in Vinton County, weather's fury broke loose. Trees were falling, limbs were flying through the air, and my VW Beetle's windshield wipers bent around the side of the car. The hard rain was somehow entering my car and formed an inch or two pool of water on my floorboard. I started to slow down to pull over, but at that moment, the wind was trying to pick up the side of my car. I was in a tornado. And there in my pocket was that Gideon Bible. I didn't have time to think, but after the storm retreated, I remembered the man's voice..."you might need this today."

They always say rubbish like that. If you offer up enough portentous moments, sooner or later someone in a susceptible mood will encounter a coincidence and think you were on to something. People will pray for healing a hundred times. If there's one recovery, they'll credit the prayer for that, and the other ninety-nine times, they weren't praying hard enough.

Anyway, on topic:

Today I was on a train with my son, and someone stood up and started preaching. I considered asking him to stop, or at least asking him how long he was going to be, but I thought that might encourage him: some of them think they're soldiers in a war, and giving them a hint of opposition might make them more determined. I thought the possibility of his experiencing any doubt on being told how unwelcome his lesson was didn't even exist. So after I consulted my son, we got up and left the carriage. Politely but clearly, we indicated that we didn't want him in our space.

The religious - at least, Christians, the religious group with which I'm most familiar - seem to believe that people generally want what they're selling. By meekly accepting it from them, we encourage this belief (and encourage them to believe that their work is succeeding). It's too late to refuse the "gift", but leaving it for someone else only makes you the church's postman. Wasteful as it is, bin it. If there was a God, and He wanted it to land in someone's hands, He'd find a way (being omnipotent and all); if, on the other hand, as all physical evidence suggests, the whole thing is self-delusion or scam, then by throwing it away, you'll do the truth a favour.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Sep 2009, 6:22 am

dadsgotas---it was not rubbish. I stated in my reply that it was not me delivering a sermon, but rather telling a story that had happened to me when I was in college. I would appreciate you not using my story as a way to blast Christianity. I do not bash those who do not believe---I respect people. I encourage you to respect all possibilities too.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Sep 2009, 6:29 am

I find it interesting how religious topics cause so much uproar. When someone says they believe in God---they get criticized. When someone says they do not believe in God---they get criticized. But if someone says they don't like hot dogs---no big deal---who cares? But my observation is that by the overly sensitive nature of religion, it proves one thing---those who do not believe in God might be thinking there is a possibility that God does indeed exist. Why else would non-believers get so touchy over it. If you don't believe---it shouldn't bother you what others believe. It's nothing more than saying that some of us like hot dogs...isn't it?

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Sep 2009, 6:33 am

I am not reading anymore on this thread, so if anyone decides to post comments---I won't be reading them. I have said all I am going to say on this topic about my Gideon Bible that I believe was God's protection over me. I have had miracles in my life. By God's grace I am alive today. I know that prayer works. It has worked for me numerous times. And no---they were not coincidences---I know what coincidences are.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2009, 12:57 pm

I haven't read the whole thread, because I know how religious topics cause problems... but just wanted to say to the original poster that I'm a Christian, and I sympathise with your quandary here.

My suggestion would be to leave it in a public place, where someone else may be glad to receive it.

Also, as someone who used to be in a lesbian relationship, and HATED Christians with a scary passion, I understand how your parents are uncomfortable around Christians. Seems to me like part of your concern is biblically quite sound... you want to honour your parents, and not cause them discomfort. I think it's sad you probably won't ever read the Bible, but that's entirely your choice, and I really respect your concientious attitude about what you'll do with this copy. I remember once throwing a Bible in the bin, because I hated having one in the house... seems you're not a crazy psychotic like I was!

Whatever you do, I wish you the best, and your parents too.

dadsgotas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Sep 2009, 3:06 pm

Thanks, glider.

I didn't "use" your story at all; I only commented on it. I think the hot-dog analogy is false, though, because nobody has ever approached me as a stranger and tried to persuade me that I must love the hot dog, the hot dog loves me, the hot dog created me, and if I don't give my life to the hot dog then I'll suffer forever. If they did, I'd be offended and have concerns about their mental well-being.

I have read the Bible (and am surprised by how many Christians say they haven't), and some of the texts from which much of its material was derived, and I have seen prayer fail many, many, many times. I've never seen it achieve anything which might not have happened anyway. I have known many Christians who believe, almost without exaggeration, that if they pray for sunrise and the sun comes up, then their prayers have worked.

Christians are, or include, people who follow you around for years, tapping you on the shoulder and whispering to you about the love of Jesus, and then when you turn around and ask them to leave you alone, throw up their hands and say, "What's his problem? Why is he picking on me? He wouldn't be so sensitive if he didn't have a God-shaped hole! Why won't he let us practise our quiet faith in peace?"

I am relieved that you don't bash those who don't believe. Otherwise, I might misunderstand your remarks about non-believers who get touchy.

It's not necessary that you share my point of view (fortunately). I think I should be allowed to express it, though (but not to strangers in railway carriages).

In spite of all this, I try to respect your faith at least as much as I respect those of the adherents of other mythologies, living and dead.