Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Cardboard_Castles
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Apr 2012, 3:59 pm

This may be a post already, but I would like to know if anyone else finds themselves counting subconsciously.

Occasionally, I will catch myself counting steps, breaths, cars, lampposts, keystrokes, . . . whatever. It's like I have an internal counter that just runs in the background while I have other thoughts in the foreground.

I also catch myself memorizing license plate numbers and other number series just out of nowhere.

All very strange. Thoughts?

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 4:02 pm

It's one of the things my overactive mind does. It goes along with my listmaking obsession. I'll get bored and start making lists of objects with the numbers of each.

Ecl713
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 4:18 pm

Sound very familiar.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 4:45 pm

Yes, I count all the time, hence my username on this site. I must count into the tens of thousands every day in small batches of up to around twenty or one hundred, occasionally higher. Keystrokes, footsteps, mouthfuls of food, the little counter is always running in the background. I'm still counting when I'm in bed trying to get to sleep. I often visualise geometric shapes in two or three dimensions and count the corners (nodes) or the sides. I tap out numbers with my fingers on all surfaces. If I'm sitting watching TV I'm still counting. I never ends.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 4:46 pm

Cardboard_Castles wrote:
This may be a post already, but I would like to know if anyone else finds themselves counting subconsciously.

Occasionally, I will catch myself counting steps, breaths, cars, lampposts, keystrokes, . . . whatever. It's like I have an internal counter that just runs in the background while I have other thoughts in the foreground.

I also catch myself memorizing license plate numbers and other number series just out of nowhere.

All very strange. Thoughts?

It could possibly be: Arithmomania[/b or] IF it's just occasionally it might be some sort of coping mechanism or something you simply enjoy doing to occupy your time.

Even, A secondary interest, perhaps...............

[b]TheSunAlsoRises

EstimatedProphet
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Apr 2012, 4:53 pm

Jory wrote:
It's one of the things my overactive mind does. It goes along with my listmaking obsession. I'll get bored and start making lists of objects with the numbers of each.

Do you make lists all the time?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKTh7zBIcrM

Totally off topic, but I couldn't help myself :P

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 4:58 pm

I count steps, and stair steps, and the number of city blocks I drive past, but that is about it.

I classify the types of license plates. The plate design changes every few years where I live so I keep a mental catalog of the current active plates, and a listing of past plates, and what changes each time.

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 5:02 pm

I do that to a supprising degree. I always count steps, count and quantify time such as working out precicly the amount of time it takes to finish tasks and count pixel spaces such for graphics I count each notch of pixel for precice levels of details. I design system models and this I do to an increadable degree.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

Cardboard_Castles
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Apr 2012, 5:06 pm

TallyMan wrote:
I often visualise geometric shapes in two or three dimensions and count the corners (nodes) or the sides.

This sounds quite fun actually. I'll have to try this one.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 5:16 pm

EstimatedProphet wrote:
Jory wrote:

Do you make lists all the time?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKTh7zBIcrM

Totally off topic, but I couldn't help myself :P

Yeah. Quoting myself from a past topic:

Quote:
I have an obsessive habit of making lists when bored. Lists of albums of my favorite bands, lists of movies in a series, lists of characters in video games, lists of the books of my favorite authors, etc.

I actually remember getting in trouble in grade school once because one of my teachers saw that I had been writing the word "fatality" over and over on a piece of paper, and she took it and sent it to my parents. It was more innocent than it sounds – I had been writing a list of the fatalities in one of the Mortal Kombat video games, from memory.

EstimatedProphet
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Apr 2012, 5:29 pm

Jory wrote:
Yeah. Quoting myself from a past topic:

I was being sarcastic. Watch the video and you'll understand why I was asking.

blackcat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 6:18 pm

I tend to count things when i am upset or anxious....so...fairly often. It's a self soothing sort of thing.

Lytig
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Apr 2012, 9:52 pm

I count my steps a lot when I am alone. For example, I will count the number of steps from leaving work to getting home (which is right across the street). I will either count the steps in total or count in groups. I may just count my steps 1-8 over and over just because it feels right. Or I will do the same thing with breaths. I never have a set number to start with I will just start counting and then start back at one when it feels right and then continue to go to whichever number I ended at the first time. I may find myself counting 12 or 7 breaths over and over just to calm myself. I will also sometimes memorize license plates (passing cars or cars of people I know). My counting never has a grand purpose, it just calms me or helps me relax after work.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 10:19 pm

Yeah, I count things periodically, either because I have nothing better to do or as something of a calming mechanism.

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 11:04 pm

Not now, but I did count stuff a lot as a kid. Not sure how "sub-conscious" it was, I think I was mostly aware of it. At one point I even decided to just "count" - not any objects, but just saying numbers (integers) in sequence, out loud, until I got to a million. I never got that far, of course, but probably got to somewhere in the tens of thousands. Even got in trouble for counting on at least one occasion, as I've posted before.

biribiri20
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Apr 2012, 11:40 pm

Not so much now but I did it a lot when I was younger. I used to count everything, despite being so bad at math. Now I just count the tiles on the floor or the amount of letters in a word, but reading is more my thing now. I have trouble stimming in public so I will randomly read signs and letters or whatever I can find around my environment when I'm feeling too anxious or I will repeat a line or phrase of a song in my head and it usually keeps me calm.

Diagnosis: ADHD-PI, suspected AS
Your Aspie Score: 142 of 200, Your NT Score: 74 of 200, You are very likely an Aspie
AQ: 38/EQ: 16/SQ: 52