Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2009, 12:17 pm

I was talking to my dad about the Twilight book Breaking Dawn and he said did you just finish reading it I said no I read it a couple months ago. (I can remember every major plot detail of the Harry Potter books and Twilght series since I love those books.) and yet don't ask me to do 5 chores at once since I'll get confused (take out the trash do dishes clean the bathroom, etc.) Me: Do trash ok now what I forget the 2nd etc. chore part LOL!

SplinterStar
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Sep 2009, 12:22 pm

It depends... My memory is mostly little fun facts and things, like a TV show I watched ten years ago, or the latin root of a word. Multitasking, math, and names? Forget it.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2009, 12:23 pm

Yeah.

It seems to be one of the positive aspects of my ASD. It's not just for factual data, it's actions, verbal words and images too.

Locustman
Toucan
Toucan

02 Sep 2009, 12:26 pm

Yes, as long as I'm not expected to remember anything important. :lol:

Interlude
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Sep 2009, 12:29 pm

Yes, an excellent visual memory (not "photographic" though). Most of all of details, and dates. And I remember precisely entire sentences people typed to me months ago.

Murasame

02 Sep 2009, 12:50 pm

I have an awesome long-term memory. I can remember incidents that happened nearly 20 years ago with amazing clarity and can recount every action, every word that was said and describe the location in detail. However my short term memory is abysmal. People usually have to tell me things several times to make sure I don't forget anything and I can never remember where I've put something, even if I only used it 5 minutes ago!

Quinster
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Sep 2009, 1:01 pm

Everything that goes in slowley drains away. :(

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2009, 1:06 pm

My memory is incredible for the most trivial things...for example, I remember the address of the hotel we stayed in when we were in Santa Fe, NM back in June 2001!

Stuff that most people consider worth remembering, not so much.

Denim
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Sep 2009, 1:15 pm

Work memory is bad but when I jam it to my head it stays there.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2009, 2:04 pm

I also remember plots and details of books very well that I read months to years ago.

vintagedoll
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Sep 2009, 3:46 pm

My long term memory is good for some things. I remember small details of conversations that happened decades ago, I also tend to remember exact dates when things happened and the ages that people were at the time and I get annoyed when other people don't remember those details correctly. Some incidents from my early childhood are stored as images, like photographs in my mind. That way I remember things that nobody would expect me to remember from way back.
But my short term memory is so bad that it has caused me of a lot of anxiety. It has got a bit better, I've had to find strategies for dealing with it because it's caused me so many problems. I have left things behind in places, lost important things and I still often mislay things like keys etc. Sometimes I'll have something in my hand one moment, and the next moment it is a complete mystery to me where I've put it, my mind is somewhere else entirely. Sometimes I forget whether or not I've eaten and sometimes I go to do a task and forget that I've already done it.

dadsgotas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Sep 2009, 3:51 pm

Yes. The problem is with remembering things I don't care about, and I can't choose what to care about.

C-57D
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Sep 2009, 3:58 pm

Mine can be sporadic and sketchy. I can remember letters I wrote at work and legal facts, but forget the names of people I see. I can remember a lot of trivia about Doctor Who, and things about books and literary theory, but forget what I ate for dinner last night. I can reel off my bank account numbers but can go shopping with a 5-item list and forget 2 things.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2009, 4:15 pm

I can't remember anything, I still read though.

dadsgotas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Sep 2009, 4:20 pm

C-57D wrote:
I can remember a lot of trivia about Doctor Who

And apparently Forbidden Planet too, C-57D.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

02 Sep 2009, 5:26 pm

I have an excellent memory. Always have. Can remember details about nearly everything. Have trouble remembering math and the multitasking too as an above poster mentioned though.