Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Chief__
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Sep 2009, 6:18 pm

I wouldn't i think i live in the best world...

yarzak
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Sep 2009, 7:15 pm

To be able to understand others would have made life over almost sixty years so much less confusing and painful. I guess should ask what autism would be traded for:)

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 9:42 pm

No...

But I would gladly give up this damn depression.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

Marsian
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Sep 2009, 9:45 pm

Rather than get rid of it, I'd just prefer if we weren't such a minority because then it wouldn't be such a problem :colors:

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 9:55 pm

No. Being Autistic is hard but it's also my gift, my mind, and I could not be without. My video clip is in my sig line which explains too (thank you to smelena who compiled photos, my writing excerpts).

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 10:25 pm

I'd like to get rid of the negatives of autism, but keep the positives. :)

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Sep 2009, 10:25 pm

I don't really want to trade it. I would just like to be better able to read NVCs.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 8:00 am

Nah I wouldn't trade it, some of my friends or family might not like what I become.

TouchVanDerBoom
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Sep 2009, 8:27 am

Hell yes. And absolutely no.

To have avoided all the misunderstandings, embarassment and teasing of my childhood. To have been able to get on a bike and not use my logic to reason that it can't possibly stay upright and fall off. To be able to be like the girls my age I see out in bars with groups of friends, on stage or dancing. The girls with cars, a grasp on their finances, high pressure jobs they take in their strides. To be able to use intuition in conversation rather than intellectual reasoning, to be able to know the answer the the question right away, to be a normal, functioning girl. Yes, I'd like that.

But to lose my creative thinking. To stop wondering if the colours I see are the same as the colours other people see or how many other people in the world are thinking what I think. To lose my magical ability to write poetry and fiction that I never learned anywhere, that just exists in me naturally. To be without my special interests, to have sparsely stocked book shelves and talk about my interests like "Yeah I quite like that show, it's pretty funny" rather than "OMG, I am so obsessed with this show, it changed my life!" It seems to me like it'd be a pretty drab existence.

I definitely don't value organisational skills and "living the dream" over creative talent but then I could have been one of those infuriatingly perfect people who have both. That'd have been nice.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 8:33 am

I'll play with the cards I've been dealt.

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 11:27 am

TRADE IT FOR WHAT?

I mean, sure I'd trade it for super powers. I want to fly and have super strength and freezing breath and fall off horses. Wait, strike that last part.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 11:36 am

Trade it for... normalcy?

Most days, yes I would. I wish I wouldn't, but I would.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 12:57 pm

Trade it for what?

For non-autism I think not. Having no autism doesn't mean you cannot have major mental and other health problems too, especially depending on your past and life-situation. Some situations might be just made for having some aspects autism to get you through it in one piece.

But then, for super empathy and TOM, extremely clever social skills, abnormal flexibility combined with perfect structure and high giftedness that would be easily accessible and usable, I would say sure! And then if this were possible I'd try to pull out of it, because as an autistic person the idea of such a change makes me feel nauseous. Facing such a huge change feels like facing death.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 2:34 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
I'll play with the cards I've been dealt.

Good point, we need to play our cards as best as we can. I think overall I have a good hand of cards. I fear that if I shuffle the pack I might get a worse hand. So I would rather not trade my mind in for a randomly chosen one.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 3:23 pm

No. Trading my autism would feel like trading a part of my personaltiy to me. Autism kinda makes me what I am.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

EC
Toucan
Toucan

07 Sep 2009, 5:04 pm

Yep, wouldn't even give it a second thought.