What You're Doing Here Is Not Healthy, IMO.

Page 5 of 8 [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2009, 8:23 am

Emor wrote:
[snip]

I'm talking about the entirely different sociology this site sports. Instead of high social status being rewarded, we reward(with reputation) those who have been the most rejected and hate society the most. This leads one to become more and more anti-social.

I can honestly say, that someone self-diagnosising them selves with Asperger's thanks to skewed sites like this, that it could EASILY wreck anything from a decade to their entire life.

[snip]

I think WrongPlanet honestly can lead to SEVERE Acquired Situational Narcism. The site endorses a GIANT social tension between Autistics and non-Autistics, and this tension becomes so massive, one gradually believes they are incapable of an NT world, and tries to rationalise their reluctance to integrate in this world with nothing put PURE hatred.

[snip]

I'm sorry- but I just don't think this site is healthy to spend a lot of time on. You dig a hole so hard to get out of, and the more you stay here, the further you dig.

[snip]

Your 2 cents.

I can see how people can pointlessly dwell on their situation and become more depressed and obsessed with it. I've done it many times.

However, your view is one-sided. Wreck a decade of one's life? Hate to break it to you, but I've wrecked about four decades of my life BEFORE I ever learned about AS. I knew nothing about the condition (wouldn't have learned about it until I was 25 when it was added to the DSM in the USA), and my lack of knowledge left me fumbling to fit into a society I never could fit into.

Now I understand my condition better. Now I understand why I'm the way I am and that for all my efforts to "adapt" I will never "change" enough to be like other NTs...nor should I try to.

All of this because of WP.

Rather than criticize a site like this for being a poison pit to those wanting to dwell on self-pity, why not use the energy to feed such members positive thoughts so they get off the pity party and start making the most of their lives.

It's also noteworthy that not all WP members with AS are mild enough cases that a little bit of work provides a decent life. Some are more seriously afflicted and have serious issues. Maybe they come here because nobody around them accepts their condition or can begin to understand what they are going through.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2009, 8:26 am

Emor wrote:
Okay- I didn't expect some a large response... Well, didn't plan for one anyway.
The wide majority of these posts are rationalising their NT bashing.
No matter how much you try to justify it, in the end of the day it's a negative prejudice to the rest of the world around you and for that reason, I do not think swelling the prejudice is healthy by ranting and conversing about it here on WP.
For those who use NT as a synonym, for a lack of a better word, a jerk, this still looks bad seeing what NT initially means. However, ignoring that, I think you're put people into three boxes.
First box-Jerks/NT.
Second box-Non-jerkish NTs(some of you will probably have told yourselves they have traits of AS as well).
Third box- People with a diagnosis of a form of Autism.
Now, I don't think this is such a bad thing. While making a distinction between the second box and third box is well, frankly, rather pathetic, and also prejudice, it's not that damaging. However, I think what you're not noticing is that the distinction from the first and second box gradually... becomes rather insignificant.
This is what upsets me about this site because I think it encourages this lack of distinction and covers up with something far less severe. I'd also just like the time now to mention that I do in no way think Alex and all of WP's creators are to blame for the social linguistics of this site- which is what is causing such negative effects on some people.
Now those arguing that Aspie supremacism is a good thing, I just really don't want to go on about it. Any form of supremacism is narcissistic and if you can't face that then I'm sorry. But I really think that you should just let it go...
Making out NTs to lead a vain life... by any conventional standards, their lives are a lot more productive than one of that of an Aspie Supremacist who refuses to fit in(while the genuine Asperger's people desperately try to fit in) and often is unemployed or doesn't have that much of a great job anyway- all in search of a world which will except their way of thinking, and disregarding the fact that many, 'NTs' will actually LIKE this way of life. Having a different perception does NOT make you any better just because it's out of the norm, and if you think that you are truly pathetic, and I read your posts with contempt.
I'm sorry I've came to the point of throwing insults, but I honestly think anyone trying to defend a supremacism and an irrational prejudice doesn't really deserve any better- regardless of how a few people in High School might have been a jerk to them, etc.
Everything I made in my first point still stands.
Your alleged 'rationalisations' just show exactly what I'm talking about and don't persuade me and probably anyone else who isn't an Aspie Supremacist.
People who are offended by my post should not jump to the assumption that it's aimed at them- which is rather irritating that so many people have regardless of me specifying it several times.
-Emor.

I don't think I am better than them, just not like them. Most of my encounters with them are either ones of indifference, they have been hostile in the past, with the NTs saying things about me that aren't true (like, she's ret*d, she's crazy, she's weird, she's ugly). Why should I praise them for that? I think they are shallow and ignorant. Okay, true, maybe a few could prove me wrong and not be, but in the past they have behaved horrifically toward me and that is no exaggeration. Do minorities like the KKK? I have had the same kind of experiences witn NTs that minorities have with the KKK. Would you condemn a minority for hating the KKK?
But that's just NTs I've known. I realize there are NTs on WP and they might not be like the NTs here which is why I post a disclaimer. The NTs I refer to are people I've known, not posters on WP since I don't really know them and have no idea what they are really like. Some of the NT posters see the negativity about NTs and think they are the targets and get offended, but, not in my posts.

Hmmmn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Sep 2009, 8:28 am

Emor wrote:
Hmmmn wrote:
Haven't read all you post (use the 'enter' button more please) but I agree up to a point. The point I don't agree past is that some of us are actually trying to help ourselves and others here. The lack of an ignore button on this board (???) means you literally can't read it without being negatively influenced but it also means this is an exercise in tolerance and forgiveness and letting people have their own opinions, things that are important in real life

I don't think it's unhealthy as such but there's definitely the potential for harm here but then again it's one of the few places on earth we mind find someone we can relate fully to and who can fully relate to us, which is probably quite important.

I COMPLETELY agree. I am not saying that WrongPlanet is not beneficial- but I think that the amount of negative content here compared to the positive support on here is not a healthy ratio. I don't think it outweighs it as such, but it's still WAY too high.
Which is why I hope this thread changes some of the social linguistics here, for example, the endorsement of NT bashing and the skewed social status ladder.
-Emor.

Yeah you're right it's completely out of balance. You'll notice though that when you try to let the people who are doing the damage know they won't be able to understand where you're coming from at all (as you may be finding out), it's not because they are stubborn or being ignorant or trying to cause harm deliberately or whatever it may seem it's because of the lack of theory of mind, they literally can't see how what they are doing is affecting others. Sad but there's nothing you persoanlly can do about it. I applaud your attempt though, something I've thought about but never been able to do.

Emor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Sep 2009, 8:28 am

How many times do I have to say that I don't think that WrongPlanet has a negative influence on every member!?
I just think it has more than enough of an negative effect on SOME members to the point that it suffices me to warn those who plan on joining the site of the risks.
Which IMO, are very real. Looking through the replies on this thread confirms this for me.
The PMs I've received from people agreeing with me confirms this for me.
The fact that WP has helped me with some problems also confirms that WP is beneficial, but a lot of other things further confirm that in the long run WP has had a negative influence on me and many others who visit this site.
-Emor.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2009, 8:36 am

I agree with you Emor!! Yes it is a bit hyporcitical of me since I go on this basically all the time. But I've been trying extremely hard no to let this site make me feel worse about myself, because I have a habit of getting obessesive and dwelling on things. Because I value and enjoy having friends and I don't know why people here feel the need to suddenly stop having friends and completely abandoning the NT world, it isn't good for you. I get out there and have a life, true just like you I've never been little miss popular but I what popularity I do have I won't let disappear because of these sites. I just come here to give opinions and read other people's and if I feel myself getting worse or more antisocial I "slap myself in the face" as it were and remind myself that I'm doing fine.

Emor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Sep 2009, 8:37 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Emor wrote:
Okay- I didn't expect some a large response... Well, didn't plan for one anyway.
The wide majority of these posts are rationalising their NT bashing.
No matter how much you try to justify it, in the end of the day it's a negative prejudice to the rest of the world around you and for that reason, I do not think swelling the prejudice is healthy by ranting and conversing about it here on WP.
For those who use NT as a synonym, for a lack of a better word, a jerk, this still looks bad seeing what NT initially means. However, ignoring that, I think you're put people into three boxes.
First box-Jerks/NT.
Second box-Non-jerkish NTs(some of you will probably have told yourselves they have traits of AS as well).
Third box- People with a diagnosis of a form of Autism.
Now, I don't think this is such a bad thing. While making a distinction between the second box and third box is well, frankly, rather pathetic, and also prejudice, it's not that damaging. However, I think what you're not noticing is that the distinction from the first and second box gradually... becomes rather insignificant.
This is what upsets me about this site because I think it encourages this lack of distinction and covers up with something far less severe. I'd also just like the time now to mention that I do in no way think Alex and all of WP's creators are to blame for the social linguistics of this site- which is what is causing such negative effects on some people.
Now those arguing that Aspie supremacism is a good thing, I just really don't want to go on about it. Any form of supremacism is narcissistic and if you can't face that then I'm sorry. But I really think that you should just let it go...
Making out NTs to lead a vain life... by any conventional standards, their lives are a lot more productive than one of that of an Aspie Supremacist who refuses to fit in(while the genuine Asperger's people desperately try to fit in) and often is unemployed or doesn't have that much of a great job anyway- all in search of a world which will except their way of thinking, and disregarding the fact that many, 'NTs' will actually LIKE this way of life. Having a different perception does NOT make you any better just because it's out of the norm, and if you think that you are truly pathetic, and I read your posts with contempt.
I'm sorry I've came to the point of throwing insults, but I honestly think anyone trying to defend a supremacism and an irrational prejudice doesn't really deserve any better- regardless of how a few people in High School might have been a jerk to them, etc.
Everything I made in my first point still stands.
Your alleged 'rationalisations' just show exactly what I'm talking about and don't persuade me and probably anyone else who isn't an Aspie Supremacist.
People who are offended by my post should not jump to the assumption that it's aimed at them- which is rather irritating that so many people have regardless of me specifying it several times.
-Emor.

I don't think I am better than them, just not like them. Most of my encounters with them are either ones of indifference, they have been hostile in the past, with the NTs saying things about me that aren't true (like, she's ret*d, she's crazy, she's weird, she's ugly). Why should I praise them for that? I think they are shallow and ignorant. Okay, true, maybe a few could prove me wrong and not be, but in the past they have behaved horrifically toward me and that is no exaggeration. Do minorities like the KKK? I have had the same kind of experiences witn NTs that minorities have with the KKK. Would you condemn a minority for hating the KKK?
But that's just NTs I've known. I realize there are NTs on WP and they might not be like the NTs here which is why I post a disclaimer. The NTs I refer to are people I've known, not posters on WP since I don't really know them and have no idea what they are really like. Some of the NT posters see the negativity about NTs and think they are the targets and get offended, but, not in my posts.

WHAT!? NT's are the f'ing KKK?
Urm, NO. You have just generalised a group of neurotypicals SEVERAL times in the course of the last 24 hours in a negative manner and have gave them NO chance.
What has the average neurotypical said about an Autist(sp?)- most likely nothing, and if so, probably not something negative.
I'd really appreciate it now if you were to stop posting hate posts on this thread now- it's extremely frustrating and we both clearly have different views on the subject.
You probably think it's highly delusional of me to come in here trying to change you all thinking I'm here to help when in fact I'm just raving and ranting.
I think you're someone who's gradually grown an unhealthy hatred towards the NT population and is probably beyond the point of return- or maybe is currently in denial with them self. If the latter is true, all I can say is that I hope you eventually notice that there's a world full of wonderful neurotypicals who can emphasise with people like us.
If you don't then I'm very sorry on what you will miss out on life but respect your decision to remain in the dark and walk this world in an ignorance oblivion.
-Emor.

Emor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Sep 2009, 8:40 am

MONKEY wrote:
I agree with you Emor!! Yes it is a bit hyporcitical of me since I go on this basically all the time. But I've been trying extremely hard no to let this site make me feel worse about myself, because I have a habit of getting obessesive and dwelling on things. Because I value and enjoy having friends and I don't know why people here feel the need to suddenly stop having friends and completely abandoning the NT world, it isn't good for you. I get out there and have a life, true just like you I've never been little miss popular but I what popularity I do have I won't let disappear because of these sites. I just come here to give opinions and read other people's and if I feel myself getting worse or more antisocial I "slap myself in the face" as it were and remind myself that I'm doing fine.

It's good to know that you can acknowledge what goes on in this site and not end up following the trends so many other people have done.
I however, regardless of how helpful this site has been at times, doubt I can without suffering the effects described in my post.
-Emor.

Hmmmn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Sep 2009, 8:40 am

This might interest you Emor, and anyone else who's wondering why we might do this. http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt107421.html

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2009, 8:44 am

Emor wrote:
bhetti wrote:
Emor wrote:
I COMPLETELY agree. I am not saying that WrongPlanet is not beneficial- but I think that the amount of negative content here compared to the positive support on here is not a healthy ratio. I don't think it outweighs it as such, but it's still WAY too high.
you should visit the cult recovery board I frequent. this place is tame in comparison. but then, I don't read every post in every section, I'm only interested in picking apart the cult system in which I was entrapped, not dwelling on "good times" of which there were very few. does that make me a cult-bashing bag of negativity, or someone trying to sort out how I got here? I used to post 6-8 times a day there, now only a couple of times a week. people, even aspies, go through phases of life where they have to spend more time processing bad experiences to get past them (that was tongue in cheek in case it wasn't obvious).

I'm glad that you consider what I've specified a beneficial recovery process.
However, I beg to differ for others. I've seen people here with thousands of posts and I'd consider them still in this alleged 'recovery' process.
I also do think that this recovery process still is hard to justify considering it's dependent on bashing and discriminating against a certain group of people.
Any other type of supremacism(a good example would be racially based supremacism) would not be accepted as a recovery method, and even if it was, people would still say it's not a justified recovery process and unfair on those you condescend over to make you feel better. It's a very selfish recovery process imo.
I just think it's about time someone spoke out about this for all the NTs on this board who are probably sick of our crap, and the Aspies who don't bash NTs and are sick of them setting a bad example for us. OF COURSE NTs are going to bash us if all we do is bash them.
If you're going to bash on them- bash on them in private, not on a site which represents the Autism community as a whole for many people.
-Emor.
but wait.... you do realize it can take people from abusive systems 5 years or even longer, even with therapy, to get to the point of acceptance? some people with AS have had it way worse than you or me, and building expectations for a person's recovery timeline based on our own experience is harmful to everyone.

case in point: I was verbally and emotionally abused in the cult, and physically abused by my husband in the cult, for many years. my new husband could not wrap his head around the depth of my hatred for my ex, because in his mind it should take 3-4 years to recover from an abusive situation and move on to "forgiveness" (a BS religious construct, IMO).... until one day I asked him to witness one of the insane exchanges we go through on a regular basis and which leave me completely frustrated. after the exchange, my husband walked into the house and told me "everything I ever said about how you should get over it and move on, I'm sorry. I can understand why you're still frustrated and angry. that would drive me f*****g over the top."

after than little bit of understanding from another person, it got easier to let it go. now I'm at the point where I know I can't trust my ex, that given the odds at least 50% of the things he says are a lie, and it's not my problem. I live my life expecting him to lie, and I'm rarely disappointed. even when he does tell the truth, I've lost nothing by distrusting him. however, the thing that is changed, because of that bit of kindness from my present husband, is that I don't expect the same thing from everyone else so I can take each relationship as it comes.

Emor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Sep 2009, 8:48 am

Hmmmn wrote:
This might interest you Emor, and anyone else who's wondering why we might do this. http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt107421.html

The primary purpose of my thread is too give those joining a warning I never received.
I don't really see however how that post justifies an irrational hatred to a group of people. If anything it'd appear that it's saying that one should be more cautious of excuses for behaviour one claims to be due to a disorder...
-Emor.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2009, 8:52 am

Tadzio wrote:

Your view on employment selection also raises concerns involving the notion of merit decisions by employers. The latest fads of Social Intelligence and Emotional Intelligence outweighing Intellectual Intelligence and other skills is society begging for disasters; indeed, trillion dollar Ponzi schemes under the formerly well-liked, popular, and friendly, but ignorant, regulators' noses is a great example of the dangers of High-end Social Intelligence held high over having a detailed, technical talent.

this is absolutely correct and an astute observation, Tadzio!

Tadzio wrote:
How, and why, does being labeled by society as a magna cum laude graduate, make my concerns with Asperger's Syndrome indicative of probable Aspie Supremacist attitude, while my skill concerns with subjective and informal cultural customs as assigned failures, is a spiralling hole? I don't think it is wise to aim for simple and typical mediocrity just to be a member of a so-so normal majority that has contempt for anything valid and objective, but outside the current most popular version of pseudo-reality.

Quoted for Truth. Reality is subjective. Succumbing to the prevelent mode of reality does not make it any more authentic than my own reality.

Emor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Sep 2009, 8:53 am

bhetti wrote:
Emor wrote:
bhetti wrote:
Emor wrote:
you should visit the cult recovery board I frequent. this place is tame in comparison. but then, I don't read every post in every section, I'm only interested in picking apart the cult system in which I was entrapped, not dwelling on "good times" of which there were very few. does that make me a cult-bashing bag of negativity, or someone trying to sort out how I got here? I used to post 6-8 times a day there, now only a couple of times a week. people, even aspies, go through phases of life where they have to spend more time processing bad experiences to get past them (that was tongue in cheek in case it wasn't obvious).

I'm glad that you consider what I've specified a beneficial recovery process.
However, I beg to differ for others. I've seen people here with thousands of posts and I'd consider them still in this alleged 'recovery' process.
I also do think that this recovery process still is hard to justify considering it's dependent on bashing and discriminating against a certain group of people.
Any other type of supremacism(a good example would be racially based supremacism) would not be accepted as a recovery method, and even if it was, people would still say it's not a justified recovery process and unfair on those you condescend over to make you feel better. It's a very selfish recovery process imo.
I just think it's about time someone spoke out about this for all the NTs on this board who are probably sick of our crap, and the Aspies who don't bash NTs and are sick of them setting a bad example for us. OF COURSE NTs are going to bash us if all we do is bash them.
If you're going to bash on them- bash on them in private, not on a site which represents the Autism community as a whole for many people.
-Emor.
but wait.... you do realize it can take people from abusive systems 5 years or even longer, even with therapy, to get to the point of acceptance? some people with AS have had it way worse than you or me, and building expectations for a person's recovery timeline based on our own experience is harmful to everyone.

case in point: I was verbally and emotionally abused in the cult, and physically abused by my husband in the cult, for many years. my new husband could not wrap his head around the depth of my hatred for my ex, because in his mind it should take 3-4 years to recover from an abusive situation and move on to "forgiveness" (a BS religious construct, IMO).... until one day I asked him to witness one of the insane exchanges we go through on a regular basis and which leave me completely frustrated. after the exchange, my husband walked into the house and told me "everything I ever said about how you should get over it and move on, I'm sorry. I can understand why you're still frustrated and angry. that would drive me f***ing over the top."

after than little bit of understanding from another person, it got easier to let it go. now I'm at the point where I know I can't trust my ex, that given the odds at least 50% of the things he says are a lie, and it's not my problem. I live my life expecting him to lie, and I'm rarely disappointed. even when he does tell the truth, I've lost nothing by distrusting him. however, the thing that is changed, because of that bit of kindness from my present husband, is that I don't expect the same thing from everyone else so I can take each relationship as it comes.

I'd appreciate when people are having post directed at me(I'm assuming it's directed at me seeing as your quoting my message) that you explain the point of your analogy or just don't put in the analogy period, seeing as I'm having trouble interpreting them.
It'd appear that spending time with neurotypicals has been beneficial and ridded you of preconceived perceptions of all NTs. I don't really see how this pertains to an Autism Support Site which sports hatred towards NTs and has few NTs on the board anyway.
-Emor.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2009, 8:53 am

Bhetti, if you read my post you would realize I meant the ones I have known because those are the ones I mean when I type "NT". How would I possibly know all NTs so why would I be refering to them all? It would be impossible to know all of them, but the ones I have known are very much like a hate group and have some things in common with groups like the KKK. Very hostile and intolerant. Why would I express a dislike for them for no reason? If they were nice to me and wanted to see me survive and progress I wouldn't say anything negative about them, would I? Most people who vent negative feelings about them have been treated like crap by them. Some people get treated like crap JUST because they seem different and certain NTs think you are mentally deficient, thus, an easy target, so they take out their anger and frustrations on you because they think it's okay and no one will care. They are just abusive people, generally, and there are too many of those around here. For sure. It's perfectly normal to dislike this type of person, imo.They act much the same way groups like the KKK stereotype and take out their frustrations and failures on minorities.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2009, 8:59 am

Emor wrote:
MONKEY wrote:

It's good to know that you can acknowledge what goes on in this site and not end up following the trends so many other people have done.
I however, regardless of how helpful this site has been at times, doubt I can without suffering the effects described in my post.
-Emor.

Also, I have met nice/not nice people from both groups, ASD and NT. I only use that word myself because it's the term people use, but I hate NT bashers and AS supremicists, it's rediculous and downright stupid.

Emor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Sep 2009, 9:03 am

MONKEY wrote:
Emor wrote:
MONKEY wrote:

-Emor.

Also, I have met nice/not nice people from both groups, ASD and NT. I only use that word myself because it's the term people use, but I hate NT bashers and AS supremicists, it's rediculous and downright stupid.

Indeed- I've also met people just as irrational on the spectrum as the stereotypical NT we all like to believe is real and people just as socially inept as the stereotype of someone on the spectrum who's NT.
In the end the whole NT AS thing is just a vain formality and one I wish people would just disregard overtime, like people have done now with gender- the jokes people make about it are disregarded as insanity when one starts to seriously discriminate between the two.
Sites like this do not help those who don't want to be labeled nor stereotyped, NT or ASD.
-Emor.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2009, 9:18 am

Emor wrote:
MONKEY wrote:
Emor wrote:
MONKEY wrote:

-Emor.

Indeed- I've also met people just as irrational on the spectrum as the stereotypical NT we all like to believe is real and people just as socially inept as the stereotype of someone on the spectrum who's NT.
In the end the whole NT AS thing is just a vain formality and one I wish people would just disregard overtime, like people have done now with gender- the jokes people make about it are disregarded as insanity when one starts to seriously discriminate between the two.
Sites like this do not help those who don't want to be labeled nor stereotyped, NT or ASD.
-Emor.

Although the rilvary and hatred between the two also proves that humans in general are no different to animals. You know people have a holier than though attitude towards other animals, but just look at how packs of wolves fight eachother and all that, what we do is no different only we don't usually use our teeth or whatever, as annoying as it is it's something we can't completely run away from, a bit sad but you know.