Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

spiderman
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Nov 2004, 10:52 pm

Does not caring about style have any thing to do with em :twisted: pathy?

ilster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2004, 1:10 am

Naaahhh. I think lacking fashion interest shows a deeper empathy for things that really matter - not just the clothes that someone wears.
I've been told otherwise by other NT's though.

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2004, 4:46 am

It shows only that you are fairly resistant to peer pressure and can think for yourself - so you only give a toss about things that matter to you and not the crowd. This is (in my view) a positive Aspie trait (though not limited to Aspies) and isn't linked to empathy. Why the hell should you care about style just cos others say so? That isn't being empathetic, its being a sheep.

Dunc :lol:

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

sparkplugloy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2004, 10:28 am

duncvis wrote:
IThis is (in my view) a positive Aspie trait (though not limited to Aspies) and isn't linked to empathy. Why the hell should you care about style just cos others say so? That isn't being empathetic, its being a sheep.

I totally agree. I just do not see the point in following the trend and caring about style.

Catffienated
Toucan
Toucan

18 Nov 2004, 11:40 am

I don't think it has anything to do with empathy as much as not getting the point of fashion. I just wear either A. A cat shirt and jeans or B. A shirt with some phrase on it and jeans.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2004, 11:45 am

Catffienated wrote:
I don't think it has anything to do with empathy as much as not getting the point of fashion. I just wear either A. A cat shirt and jeans or B. A shirt with some phrase on it and jeans.

I think the point of clothing style is essentially to attract people of the opposite sex (or same sex if that's what you like). It shows you care enough not to look like a complete slob, but I agree that emphasizing appearance and clothes over more substantial things like personality and intelligence will always backfire.

truthseeker
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Nov 2004, 1:05 pm

Isn't interesting, that we have similar views on many subjects?

WillyWebbs
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Nov 2004, 7:06 pm

Well, the purpose of fashion is project who you are by what you wear. Who would you be more afraid of, a wigger witha doo rag, huge white t-shirt and jean shorts, or a buisines man with nicely parted hair and a suit? What you wear usualy reflects who you are

JennieRichee
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Nov 2004, 7:17 pm

WillyWebbs wrote:
Who would you be more afraid of, a wigger witha doo rag, huge white t-shirt and jean shorts, or a buisines man with nicely parted hair and a suit? What you wear usualy reflects who you are

The business man.
(I was raised by hippies)
:wink:

NoMore
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2004, 8:11 pm

I don't think it has anything to do with empathy or a lack thereof. It just seems pointless to me to force myself to wear expensive or uncomfortable or ugly clothes just to "fit in" with social expectations. Not to say that I don't do that sometimes <sigh> but only when I have to. I find most popular fashions very uncomfortable and annoying.

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2004, 9:29 pm

JennieRichee wrote:
WillyWebbs wrote:
Who would you be more afraid of, a wigger witha doo rag, huge white t-shirt and jean shorts, or a buisines man with nicely parted hair and a suit? What you wear usualy reflects who you are

The business man.
(I was raised by hippies)
:wink:

lol Jennie. I totally agree... I would expect the business man to be more judgmental and hostile, and generally distrust conventional people. Money/smartness doesn't particularly indicate decent person, as the vast number of BMW driving a***holes seems to suggest :P

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2004, 4:28 am

what's fashion?

what's empathy?

V
(never been known to wear anything conventional.....apparently)

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2004, 6:26 am

Clothes shopping is my absolute fav activity! :P

I do car for styles, but not nessicarily the popular styles. I have my own style! :D

star-lily
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Nov 2004, 10:45 am

Me too. I think it's more important to wear clothes you feel comfortable in, that you think looks nice than what's fashionable.

monastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2004, 11:55 am

When I wear my drab, non-formfitting (but comfortable) and very plain garments, if you listen closely, you will hear what my attire is saying.

To all that will listen, my clothes are quietly whispering, "Don't judge me by my outward appearance, please look beyond and get to know the 'real me' and you may be pleasantly surprised. You see, who I am is so much more than what I 'appear' to be."

This conversation is a very secret communication between me and the rare few that use more than their eyes to view the world.

Katana
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Nov 2004, 12:11 pm

star-lily wrote:
Me too. I think it's more important to wear clothes you feel comfortable in, that you think looks nice than what's fashionable.

Exactly.

You feel you look nice, you feel comfortable in what you're wearing - anyone elses opinion is just balls!