Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

invertedcomma
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Sep 2009, 1:47 pm

First of all, hello everyone :)
I 'think' I am affected by Aspergers or another autistic condition.
I have never fitted in and always blamed other things, my appearance or whatever.
I think in pictures, always have, it was a revelation to read the book 'Thinking in Pictures', I thought everyone was the same!
I do not have the facial recognition ability that others have. I always thought it was because I had poor eyesight, but no, I have to meet someone (or see pictures) about 15 times and then I can spot them anywhere.
I never had any proper friends at school. And people made fun of me, for being a scruff.
I am really out of my depth at social occasions, if I know what to do I can flunk it, but if it is just mingle, Im lost, unless there is a friendly face I already know to latch on to.
I find it so much easier to communicate on line or on the phone than face to face.
I get on with and understand animals much easier than I do people, even my own family.
I am quite particular about my home, it has to be cleaned properly every week or I get grumpy about it.
I am quite fascinated by studying people, seeing what makes them tick and watching how they interact with each other.
My husband definitely has Aspergers, he is very obvious, he is quiet, I chatter on needlessly to anyone and everyone until I get in with a group of people, then I seem to clam up. One to one Im fine, even in interviews, it when there are more people.
I have been through so many jobs! I always seem to ruin it somehow, but to me it seems to be their fault entirely, like when they are stealing staff meals, I cant just leave it because it is wrong and against the rules, so I speak up. It does not make me popular and they freeze me out. Then I end up leaving because they are horrible every day I go to work. I would rather work with little children who dont judge.
What do others think?
Do I have something?
How do I find out?
Thanks in advance :)

paolo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2009, 2:35 pm

I have never had a passion fo a clean house, perhaps because, in my family, housekeeping was entrusted to me and to my elder sister. My mother was busy with other occupations (she was a small publisher, and my father was a professor and scholar, certainly inept to the broom, but intolerant of external aids). For everithing else my life has been very similar to your life: When I was a child and a teen there was no Web, so I could only write letters. My personal good wishes for what they may be worth.

TheCurs
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Sep 2009, 3:53 pm

Hi Inverted, welcome to WP.

I was diagnosed with AS last summer and I can relate to everything you say about yourself. It certainly sounds like you have a lot of autistic traits. If you seriously believe you might be autistic (and it sounds like you have done some research on the subject and have been thinking this for some time) then I would strongly recommend you seek a professional diagnosis. In my case I know just to know one way or the other really helps in gaining peace of mind and accepting yourself, and help those you care about understand you a bit better also. I think the worst thing you could do is to think you have the condition because you seem to fit the mould. Some of the symptoms/traits of autism (AS especially) are so similar to other conditions, disorders and mental health problems that it is very possible for people to mis-diagnose themselves, because they are seeking a quick answer as to why they the way they are and Asperger's seems to fit the bill. I don't mean this to sound as harsh as it might, I just say it to illustrate how strongly I feel it is to seek a 'proper' diagnosis and not be forever asking yourself that question "Am I?".

The best way to seek a diagnosis is through a GP. Just make a routine appointment and tell them you think you may have an ASD and you want a diagnosis. And don't take no for an answer. If you get a negative feedback or feel you're not being taken seriously then keep trying until you find one who listens. If your in the UK there's also the National Autistics Society, whose details you'll be able to get online. Contact them and they should be able advise you about the quickest way in getting a diagnosis in your region (who to contact etc). There's usually a lengthy waiting list and the whole process will probably be very drawn out at times but the end result is definitely worth it. If you do decide to go down this route and get a diagnosis its also a good idea to take a small entourage with you to the appoinment (if possible), especially a friend/relative who you were very close with throughout childhood/adolescence, as well as people who know you well now.

Hope this has helped and good luck in whatever you decide to do.

invertedcomma
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Sep 2009, 3:34 am

Thanks for your replies.
There is really no one I could take with me, except husband who is definitely AS (not diagnosed).
The reason I have had to get interested is because now my little boy who is five is showing signs and is going to need help.
Besides just knowing is there any practical benefits to me and my husband being officially diagnosed?
I read on the net that girls hide it very well, much better than boys, which I seem to have done, people just think Im gobby and odd.
Im in the UK.
Im reading on here that it is hard to get a diagnosis. I dont think I could go through months of hassle, just going t do the school run is hard work for me, all the mothers made up and obviously with it, I hate going to big public places unless I know exactly what Im doing.

visnofskygirl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2009, 10:31 am

invertedcomma wrote:
I read on the net that girls hide it very well, much better than boys

yeah...this is true...i'm not too obvious :P

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2009, 10:50 am

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

jelibean
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2009, 11:43 am

Whooohooo, WELCOME inverted comma.......and welcome too to the tribe!!

I am in the UK and have just graduated from uni with a PGCert Autism, one of my assignments including different schemes, programmes and support systems in ONE country let alone the world, so depending on where abouts you are in the UK will depend on where to go and who to talk to. Let me know by pm if you prefer.

And yes girls get missed more, fact! Thankfully more research is being done and it will soon become apparent that just as many of us girlies are on the spectrum as boys, we just present differently that's all. Also the research into the genetic link is getting hotter and hotter. It is my belief that genetics is the key here. With your husband possibly Asperger and you suspecting you may be...... there is no wonder you are seeing signs in your son. But have no fear it is not all scary if you know what you are doing and how to go about it.

If there is anything I can do let me know. In the meantime, grab yourself a copy of Loving Mr Spock by Barbara Jacobs.....the book is in high demand so you may have to order it from a private seller on Amazon....it is taking off bigstyle and I learned SOOoooo much from it.

Again WELCOME! You will meet many wonderful people on here who won't let you down.

:D :D

invertedcomma
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Sep 2009, 12:26 pm

Some other bits.

When I was a kid I remember sitting on the settee repeatedly banging my head back full force against the cushions because I liked it. I remember being told to stop a lot and smacked hard for it. I dont remember when I stopped doing it though, at what age I mean.
I also used to stare at the light or windows and go off into my own thoughts, which I could never ever recall when I was asked what I was dreaming about. I got into trouble for not disclosing what I was thinking about. This does not happen as much now, I tend to keep busy. When day dreaming I often see an ultra violet worm chasing around the edge of bright lights and windows and I assumed this was a symptom of epilepsy which I used to have. The fits do not happen anymore, they used to be brought on by stressful situations which I am now in a position to avoid
Even though Im 42 years old Im regularly treated like a child by people, even those who are younger than me.
I have an extremely sensitive sense of smell.
And I blurt out information about myself that I shouldnt to complete strangers within minutes of starting to talk to them. Afterwards I could kick myself and vow to be more careful but then it happens again and again. Im also brutally honest. I used to get whalloped by my parents for putting my foot in it regularly. And when I got shouted at and asked why, all I could say was 'Because its true!'.

What do you think?