Baby in the family 10%  10%  [ 10 ]
More than one of the above 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Other/Poll needs more options 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 105

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2009, 7:15 pm

Only child, though my mother had a miscarriage afterwards, so I was nearly a firstborn.

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).

wildgrape
Toucan
Toucan

18 Sep 2009, 7:15 pm

I am in the middle between two nt siblings. Autism is about genetics, not birth order. I suggest you do some research on genetics my friend.

polymathpoolplayer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Sep 2009, 7:24 pm

Francis wrote:
I'm the third child and the baby in the family.

Was I supposed to select 'third child' or 'baby in the family' in the poll? :?:

Either way - or vote for a combination - or vote the way you think is more logical; then if it needs explaining I'd be glad to hear it.

polymathpoolplayer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Sep 2009, 7:32 pm

CTBill wrote:
Francis wrote:
Was I supposed to select 'third child' or 'baby in the family' in the poll?

I wasn't sure what the OP intended either, but I interpreted "Baby in the family" as meaning "last-born, with significantly older siblings" (or possibly "only child born late in the parents' lives"), which is a far different situation than just being "third-born". In many ways, we remain the "babies" even long after we've reached adulthood, especially to our siblings.

Yes I would take it that the "baby" is the last but personally would not include someone who was second-born because that scenario is not the same as the so-called typical "baby in the family" pampering or relaxation of rules by parents, which tends to occur at the fifth or sixth child (my family had five kids and there WAS a relaxation of rules with the youngest LOL!! !). But vote how you feel.

The conclusion I am seeing here is that it would be nice if polls on WP could allow you to vote in more than one box, to avoid a choice having to be too narrow, such as: "3rd and last child with adopted sibling whose age is between my age and my next older natural sibling's age".

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2009, 7:40 pm

polymathpoolplayer wrote:
Peko wrote:
3. NT stepsister (I know she doesn't count for the bio standpoint but consider her my sister anyways)

Maybe, but from a socialization/maturation point of view she would count - as the spectrum is not just a hereditary thing - it is influenced by environment too.

Possibly, but b/c we didn't live together 'til I was 14 and she was 10, I doubt it from an environmental point of view.

polymathpoolplayer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Sep 2009, 7:40 pm

wildgrape wrote:
I am in the middle between two nt siblings. Autism is about genetics, not birth order. I suggest you do some research on genetics my friend.

And my theory is that the birth order might show an unusual distribution of autism. If we just stick to conventional knowledge and accept it as Gospel, how can science ever expand? And NEVER assume you KNOW how genetics works. Remember it wasn't until the 1950's that the geometric shape of DNA was posited and proven. Should we have stuck to Mendel? Science will never KNOW anything 100%, just get closer and closer, with an occasional revolution that makes everything before look ridiculous and clumsy. Aristotle - Newton - Einstein - ring a bell?

My point is that having autistics born in the earlier parts of birth order within families, this may prove that autism has an evolutionarily beneficial role on the survival of mankind, just like depression has been recently assumed to be a survival benefit by causing deep analysis and dwelling on problems, perhaps first generated during the Ice Age by being sad over not having stored enough food in the cave for the winter???

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2009, 8:19 pm

I was an only child and have it, my son was my first and he has AS as well. My mother also shows many many signs and was the first born, as well as her mother.

"I enjoyed the meetings, too. It was like having friends." -Luna Lovegood

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2009, 9:03 pm

Second and last child.

Older sibling is outgoing and fairly successful as far as getting along with people and finding opportunities.

Family is somewhat dysfunctional, but I suspect my mom may have a touch of AS, but I can't be sure. She's managed to have a career and friends without being so "socially awkward" like I have been.

Sati
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2009, 11:46 pm

I'm the second and youngest. My older sister is NT.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 1:28 am

Oldest: ME (AS)
Middle: Sister (NT)
Young: Sister (HFA)

Didn't include older step brother, considering he only has one of my parents.

TouchVanDerBoom
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Sep 2009, 6:09 am

I'm my mum's baby and my dad's only child. My mum has two sons who are much older than me from a previous marriage but my dad just has me. I answered "baby in the family" - was that wrong?

Woodpeace
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Sep 2009, 6:13 am

I am the oldest of four children.

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 6:24 am

2 of 3

wildgrape
Toucan
Toucan

19 Sep 2009, 8:04 am

Polymathpoolplayer wrote:

Quote:
If we just stick to conventional knowledge and accept it as Gospel, how can science ever expand?…

For the record, polymath, I completely agree with your comments above on seeking novel scientific explanations. Autism has yet to become a special interest for me, but I know that better understanding of it is sorely needed. Good luck seeing if you can find something useful following this path.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 8:11 am

Francis wrote:
I'm the third child and the baby in the family.

Was I supposed to select 'third child' or 'baby in the family' in the poll? :?:

My very ASish friend was also the 3rd child/Baby of the family.
The oldest (his brother) is totally NT..and supposedly his sister (the middle child) is kinda messed up and has her issues

My very ASish mom was the middle child, and her siblings are all NT...I am pretty sure.
I do have suspicions about her older brother though.

Chiron0224
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Sep 2009, 11:01 am

I'm the middle child of three and an aspie. My older brother and little sister are like uber NT(seriously, their a whole different level of NT). Also EVERYONE ELSE in my family is NT. I am one of those "no family history" cases. Not a single uncle, aunt, random cousin. Nothing. I have no idea what happened in my case, but I wouldn't trade my unique mind for the world.