Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

nettiespaghetti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Sep 2009, 5:29 pm

Has anyone seen it? Any good? I haven't yet, I guess it's not out on dvd yet but I don't see when it's supposed to come out...??

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 6:11 pm

It's ok. As far as storyline goes, it takes a long time to get interesting, but I'd say it's worth renting out at anyrate.

With regards to portrayal of Asperger's, it describes the 'sterotypical' aspie quite well without being too obvious. My bf didn't think I resembled the main character at all, but I could definitely identify with him.

I'm not sure why it's a romantic comedy though; there's hardly any humour at all (that I could see...)

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 10:26 pm

I wouldn't have seen it had I not been interested because of the AS character. I thought the juxtaposition of the girl on the rebound from a liar lover and losing faith when her father becomes a liar too, and realizing her mother put up with her father being a liar was interested in Adam because he was totally honest, and realized sometimes too much honesty was a problem as well.
I liked it because there are many reasons people are attracted to each other, and many reasons people don't work out, together. Adam wasn't able to realize she wanted more than being a substitute for his father and she wasn't able to have all the bells and whistles of an NT relationship. But they were able to sort out several things about each other and themselves and as such both grew in their relationship to each other.

zeichner
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Sep 2009, 7:34 am

There's a thread about this movie - http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt97826.html - in Television, Film & Video. :)

nettiespaghetti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Sep 2009, 6:41 pm

Oh ok thanks :)

CowboyFromHell
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 2:14 pm

"blah blah space blah telescopes"

--"Son, we're on lunch break, we're eating lunch. That's not lunch talk."
--"..... A girl moved into 13B"
--"Now that's lunch talk!"

Hell, that alone makes me want to see it. Not laugh your ass off type of humor, but there is humor there.

I just don't like the way that they made the Adam character fairly childish. Like his space obsession causing him to wash that chick's window in an astronaut suit.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 3:14 pm

I saw it, great film. :D The ending could have been improved in my opinion, but it has comedy and it will definitely make you laugh. :D However, it has a lot of sad scenes, but it's still quite funny. :)

SpongeBobRocksMao!

nettiespaghetti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Sep 2009, 5:00 pm

I was beyond pissed, called the cinemas on Sunday and that was the day they pulled it out of the theater :( Damn them. Now I have to wait for it to come out on dvd, however long that will be. Sounds good though, just seeing the trailer when he looks at her (I swear it looked like he wasn't looking her in the eyes lol) and says "I have this thing called aspergers syndrome" and he looks all nervous and uncomfortable.... I just wanted to go hug his fictitious character :)

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 5:07 pm

the only bit i have seen really got me angry, the scene where adam tells the girl about the difference between aspies and nt's telling how we cannot lie, are genious' and lists the most important men in history telling her they were all aspies. What a load of fallacious garbage. I doubt I will ever watch it

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 8:46 pm

CowboyFromHell wrote:
"blah blah space blah telescopes"

--"Son, we're on lunch break, we're eating lunch. That's not lunch talk."
--"..... A girl moved into 13B"
--"Now that's lunch talk!"

Hell, that alone makes me want to see it. Not laugh your ass off type of humor, but there is humor there.

I just don't like the way that they made the Adam character fairly childish. Like his space obsession causing him to wash that chick's window in an astronaut suit.

A very telling AS part is when after she hauls him into her window, she says "I was frightened!" and he says "But it was just me" and she said "But I didn't KNOW it was you" and he said "oh!" like he was remembering that other people don't know what he knows. . .