Can AS obsessions come in the form of thoughts?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

rainbowbutterfly
Toucan
Toucan

29 Sep 2009, 1:12 am

Just wondering. Even though I've been professionally diagnosed (unexpectedly) many of my friends and family members don't believe I have AS partly because I have a wide range of interests/hobbies. Though, in an earlier thread, someone mentioned that sometimes AS obsessions or interests can come in the form of thoughts, and my mind is very repetitive. It travels 500 mph and is like a broken record. I've had the same thoughts every day, sometimes lasting for years. My repetitive daydreams have often been related to interests, but this hasn't been the case all the time. Sometimes, if I have nothing good to think about, I'll do repetitive worrying just for the sake of dealing with stress or keeping my mind busy, unless I find something else to do. Also I have a tendency to repeat certain songs or CDs over again everyday, and in college I was once playing the same CD (for an hour or 2, I think) every day for a month, because the music was like bliss.
What do you guys make of this?

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2009, 2:44 am

I would say yes. Happens to me all the time.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2009, 3:03 am

I have had this happen to me as well.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2009, 4:10 am

Actually there are only 2 possible state of my mind: Thinking with very intensity on a subject or space out. If I don't have anything to think about I usually focus on strange things, that's why a doctor (when I was young) said to me:

"You should always focus on a real problem, try to avoid not thinking or thinking on a spare argument, find a topic (an "intelligent" one) and try to think/solve it". It worked pretty well for me, but I don't know if many people are able to choce/drive their obsessions.

sefer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Sep 2009, 4:57 am

rainbowbutterfly wrote:
Just wondering. Even though I've been professionally diagnosed (unexpectedly) many of my friends and family members don't believe I have AS partly because I have a wide range of interests/hobbies. Though, in an earlier thread, someone mentioned that sometimes AS obsessions or interests can come in the form of thoughts, and my mind is very repetitive. It travels 500 mph and is like a broken record. I've had the same thoughts every day, sometimes lasting for years. My repetitive daydreams have often been related to interests, but this hasn't been the case all the time. Sometimes, if I have nothing good to think about, I'll do repetitive worrying just for the sake of dealing with stress or keeping my mind busy, unless I find something else to do. Also I have a tendency to repeat certain songs or CDs over again everyday, and in college I was once playing the same CD (for an hour or 2, I think) every day for a month, because the music was like bliss.

This describes my obsessive thoughts pretty well, and especially the music.. A few months ago I downloaded about 30 albums or so from the same artist, they go from the 70's at the start of her career to the 90's at the end, and I've been listening to them almost every day since.

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2009, 7:28 am

Sure it can be so. I think it's called perseveration when it's in the thoughts.
I know that from myself, where a (worrying or sad) thought can stick in my mind, and the longer I repeat the thought, the harder it is to stop it again. If it goes on too long, I might get depressed.

Have just had such a kind of thinking in the last days, but realised I had to talk to someone about them, so they wouldn't set too deep roots and fill all my mind, as they tended to do. In this time I need to find a new place to live and figure out what kind of job to seek, and that's a problem already because of executive dysfunction, let alone when those obsessive or perseverating thoughts fill it all up.
Now it's going better.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2009, 7:35 am

That is my life. Extremely obsessive in thought over key issues. Debilitating in a way.

starygrrl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2009, 7:43 am

rainbowbutterfly wrote:

Yes, in fact you sound EXACTLY like me. Repetitive thoughts, which is bad when they get caught on negative thinking. I do have a pretty wide range of interests, but at the same time there is always a primary interest that speaks a little louder. Recently it has been european city bicycles.

In general though, my mind is kind of caught on loop thinking. I am officially diagnosed with PDD-NOS now, though as a kid I was diagnosed with NLVD and Semantic Pragmatic Disorder. I share alot of aspie traits though, one is repetitive thinking and highly focused interests.

I have done the same thing with CDs, the Wilco's Yankee Foxtrot Hotel was one I can remember playing constantly for three months straight when it first came out.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2009, 7:49 am

Thinking about negative past events can be a pitfall. It's happened to me before, still does. I have repetitive thoughts and narrow interests, both.