Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

2PreciousSouls
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Sep 2009, 6:25 am

Is there anyone here who is able to give good eye contact, and likes to be affectionate?

Were you always able to do this or was it something that you had to learn over time?

Thank you in advance.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2009, 7:12 am

I am one of those.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

zena4
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2009, 7:16 am

Not always and not with everybody.
But for different reasons.

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2009, 12:47 pm

I can make eye contact. I can sometimes feel strong affection. Sometimes I feel so cold and apathetic though. I actually felt this way once when trying to comfort my crying friend. I hated myself for not caring enough, but all I could do was keep up the facade.

racooneyes
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Sep 2009, 1:10 pm

Had to learn. Was told to do it by one teacher but only did it with people i liked and only a tiny amount. Recently found out i needed to work at it if I want people in my life so that's what i'm doing. It's worthwhile and i enjoy it but it's not easy.

get all confused and then mix up the dates.

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2009, 1:46 pm

Never. I've always been terrible with emotional stuff and eye contact is very uncomfortable for me.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2009, 1:59 pm

I can with girlfriends, once I get to know them well enough, and that's about it.

And even then, it's not so much proper eye contact as it is staring, but at least it's not as forced as it is with anyone else.

whipstitches
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Sep 2009, 2:02 pm

Well.... I was REALLY good at it for many years. I would say that I definitely had to learn to be that way, however. At the moment, I have good eye contact with people that I know, but it is a real chore to make good eye contact with people that I encounter out and about. The main reason that I have a problem now is because I have been a stay at home mom for about 4 years now and I also have been battling depression over the past three years. If it were not for those things, I would still be doing just fine with the eye contact thing. I am now working on getting my skill back and I can tell now that it will not take me all that long compared to how long it took to learn the skill. Learning the skill was more of an evolution that anything because I learned while I was growing up.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2009, 2:05 pm

I'm not entirely sure what "good eye contact" is exactly. But I'm able to at least maintain some eye contact now. I didn't used to be able to do it at all in the past.

With my boyfriend and my dog, I can be comfortable with eye contact and showing affection.

I don't really have affection for any one else.

lostinparadise
Raven
Raven

25 Sep 2009, 2:15 pm

i never could now i am working on that.i am practicing

MommyJones
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2009, 2:27 pm

My son has good eye contact, and is very affectionate with hugs. Kisses on the other hand...I use them for punishment. He HATES them :wink:

willmark
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2009, 3:27 pm

I assume you are excluding NTs and Aspie half breeds. If not then I qualify for affectionate with eye contact. I couldn't always do that, but it wasn't a learned skill. It became easier when I realized that other people can't see into me the same way that I see into others through their eyes.

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2009, 5:51 pm

2PreciousSouls wrote:
Is there anyone here who is able to give good eye contact, and likes to be affectionate?

Yes.

Quote:
Were you always able to do this or was it something that you had to learn over time?

Ohh dear, don't know about way young days.
Do know it is something that comes and goes. Has been like that for many years.

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2009, 9:27 pm

Well, i know that growing up my eye contact sucked. My parents, and a teacher of mine, would keep saying, "Look at me when im talking/talking to you." To this day, i still tend to look at someone when theyre talking, but i think its more of a blank stare with occasional blinking. However, when I speak, i tend to look away or blur the image of the person's face (so im just looking in their general direction when im speaking to them).

As far as affectionate, i still have some issues mainly due to touch being associated with it (took me forever just to hug my mother on a regular basis). Dont get me wrong, Id like to be, but there's too much uncertainty involved that im extremely paranoid about it (being male, I have this fear of being targeted for "false" cries; "rape!", etc. . . . paranoia perhaps, but still shakes me up).

MrVulcan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Sep 2009, 12:53 am

I have excellent eye contact & affection with animals. Humans on the other hand are a different story.

subliculous
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Sep 2009, 10:00 pm

only with animals and a boyfriend. i haven't had a boyfriend in about 9 years.