Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Mork
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Feb 2006, 3:46 pm

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone else feels like I do.

You know the movie BIG, the one with Tom Hanks. In the film, he wishes he was all grown up and ends up a kid in an adults body.

Well that's how I feel sometimes. It feels like my body has aged but inside I'm still a kid.

When I was a kid I tried to act serious and grown up.

I have 3 boys aged 7, 10 & 11. I feel more like their big bother than their dad.

NANU NANU!

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2006, 4:25 pm

I can identify with that. I am sometimes too friendly with my kids and they forget that I'm the boss!! In fact, I don't even like telling them what to do. I wish they would just do it! I'm not the "boss type". But in spite of this, people tell me I'm mature. I don't feel like other thirtysomethings and I don't fit in with them, either. I think people mistake intelligence for maturity. Another option is that we may mistake a care-free, or zany personality as immaturity.

JsMom
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Feb 2006, 4:58 pm

I could only wish to feel the way you do. Most of the time I feel the weight of the world on me, pressurizing every cell in my body. I use to feel carefree and silly...I use to be creative....I don't feel that way any more. I'm much too serious. I wish I could feel lighthearted again. :(

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2006, 5:10 pm

Ah, but you both are NT, as am I.*

I think Mork may have wanted to find out if it was a common Asperger trait.

BeeBee

*per our profiles. Of course, those have been know to be wrong.

JsMom
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Feb 2006, 5:24 pm

I think my Aspie son sometimes feels the way Mork described. There are times when he is just singing/chirping away like a little bird in his room, happy to be by himself and unaware of the troubles of the world.

Boy, do I envy him during these times. To feel this way in adulthood is a blessing. I think it's great that Mork can tap into that child like happiness. I hope my son can retain this type of happiness as he grows.

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2006, 6:31 pm

We never really finish growing up, anyway. (At least not until we die.) There are always new levels of maturity to reach. (doesn't that sound exciting)

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2006, 6:32 pm

I feel young but usually I don't associate myself with an age. I just am. I know my body is 24 years old-- plus nine months. And I do feel much younger and more immature than people of my age range as far as responsibilities and social engagements, etc. But my mind doesn't feel like it has an age to me.

JsMom wrote:
There are times when he is just singing/chirping away like a little bird in his room, happy to be by himself and unaware of the troubles of the world.

I was doing that today, all in my own little world, standing at the stove-- just sooooo happy cooking my Stove Top because they've finally invented Wheat Stove Top so that I can eat it again!! ! :D :D :D

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2006, 9:53 pm

JsMom wrote:
There are times when he is just singing/chirping away like a little bird in his room, happy to be by himself and unaware of the troubles of the world.

That was me yesterday! I was just listening to my iPod and I was completely unaware of the situation. (I became immediately aware that not only was my family home, but so was a neighbor family when I danced my way down the hall and up the stairs...right into thirteen sets of eyes staring at me because I was really into this song.) :lol: (Well, the Pointer Sisters make you want to jump, huh!)

But I do feel like BIG. It's fun most times, but it is kind of difficult to relate to "my peers" (as my mother likes to say.) I don't think I am immature, but I am childish...does that make sense?

Ladysmokeater
Veteran
Veteran

Location: North of Atlanta, South of Boston, East of the Mississippi, and West of the Atlantic

06 Feb 2006, 10:35 pm

there is this GREAT song "Everybody's got to grow up sometime, Why Cant I"

LOL, its my life in a one liner. My neice has even cried when I tried to explain that I accually was a grown-up. She said "no Aunt [Ladysmokeater]! You are a kid because grown ups arent fun anymore!"
I am the offical "peter pan" of the family.....

It has its gooddays, then it has its bad ones.

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2006, 10:53 pm

Everytime someone asks me how old I am, I'm reminded that I'm 31 years old. Otherwise, I forget I'm in my 30s, still thinking of myself as a teenager. I don't look nor act my age and can never figure out how to be "my age". Unfortunately, men my age who have high socio-economic status don't notice I'm alive because there's just something about me that radiates I'm not "one of them".

PlatypusMan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Feb 2006, 10:58 pm

I'm constantly being pressured to "grow up". I consider myself to be more mature than many, many other people my age; but I don't show it. Partly because I just don't want to, the typical "adult" activities that society has dictated are correct bore me. I also refuse to exhibit many signs of "maturity" also out of spite. I believe maturity is driven by societal beliefs; and it doesn't really allow for any deviation. Me, I'm 19. I play video games, I have my CD player with me constantly, and I still even play with toys when bored. And just because of these traits, many people I come in contact with think I'm immature.

As per being with children. I'm great with kids. I can put myself into their mindset and get along just fine.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2006, 11:48 pm

I feel like that, all the time. I'm 31 and I feel that I've never grown up. I have my stuffed Dogs and my Vintage toy Routemasters that I catch myself fondling at varoius times through out the day. I also enjoy wearing "Bright, groovy colours!" I love Polka Dots and Stripes, and I'm probably the only person over 30 that I know, who enjoys wearing Lace. Mary Poppins is my favourite Movie, which is very unusual for a person, my age. Austin Powers is my Hero, which says a lot, right there. At least I'll be a Playful Old Lady, instead of a Grumpy Old Lady.