Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

hakemon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Oct 2009, 1:11 am

In my driving life, I've been called everything, a good driver, a bad driver, and never, a backseat driver. ;)

I question, do you drive? Do you drive good/bad?

I recently video taped my driving, and I ask, do I drive good? I have power under the hood of this car and I know it takes a good driver to NOT unleash it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oUeNKQZtM

That's me, my car, and my driving..

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2009, 1:57 am

Usually I drive pretty good, though I have made errors. Usually not catastrophic errors though.

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2009, 1:58 am

i drive better then most nt,s who seem to be fashinadet by drifting,speeding and stuff just waiting to get laugth when they lose a license :twisted:

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2009, 2:44 am

I do drive. I'm no better or worse than anyone else.

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2009, 3:19 am

I drive, on the highway (snelweg) I think I drive better than most; my car always fits in a tight spot when needed and always keep track of cars and motor cycles around me. In busy city centers I am not that good (I drive only on rare occasions in city centers). In living areas I am really careful with children and drive nicely.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2009, 3:42 am

I drive just the same as anyone else in Red Deer, Alberta.....LIKE A REDNECK!! :D

But seriously, Im not too bad.I drive just the same as anyone else,...Ive seen NTs who were worse drivers than any aspie.

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2009, 3:47 am

Good driving is defensive driving. But that means one must "get into the heads" of other drivers. I can see a difficulty here for low functioning autistic folk. It might even be a difficulty for aspies. It took me several decades and close calls before I became a solid defensive driver.

ruveyn

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2009, 3:56 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCpAPw7GXYw[/youtube]

a vid I found..someone driving in Red Deer, Alberta

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2009, 4:04 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=967K7SvXc2A[/youtube]

this highway goes through red deer.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2009, 4:16 am

I'm a pretty good driver, but that's because I'm a p**** on the road and don't get creative very often- I just drive.

SmallFruitSong
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Oct 2009, 4:47 am

Anyone else have problems with parallel parking? That is something I simply cannot do properly.

Other than that, I'm fine when I'm on the road.

Kiss me to the core."

Think you're ASD? Get thee to a professional!

arisu
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Oct 2009, 4:53 am

i live in new york city where i don't have to drive which, i guess, is a good thing since the thought of driving scares me. my hand-eye coordination is pretty bad.

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2009, 7:41 am

SmallFruitSong wrote:
Anyone else have problems with parallel parking? That is something I simply cannot do properly.

Other than that, I'm fine when I'm on the road.

Parking is a bit strange. Some days I put my car in the tiniest available space and other days I need half a street to park my car.
Otherwise my driving is quite consistent.

acclue
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Oct 2009, 10:48 am

I drive decently, but I do have trouble deciding when it's time to go; too many variables to check.

Also, if the road I'm driving on isn't busy enough to keep my attention, and I'm familiar with the road, I can hyperfocus and drive VERY dangerously (off the road, in the wrong lane, etc.). Fortunately, I've never been in an accident.

I also have a problem with driving being such an unforgiving mode of travel. I have a hard time remembering any kind of directions or recognizing places I've been, I just don't pay attention to that stuff. I'm just annoyed that, sometimes, if I take one wrong turn, it means driving for another hour or two to try to get back on track/not lost. There are two towns that are relatively the same distance from my home in different directions; I once became so lost that I had somehow found my way to the other town before I could find my way home.

Essentially (with the = being my route):

....==============
...//..............................\\
Town A......Home====Town B

my friends still hold that one over me now and then :oops:

Mmmph
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Oct 2009, 11:50 am

I'm an okay driver, for someone who's only been driving since March of this year. I don't like backing out of places, I can't paralel park, and can't park between two cars :)

As for long distance driving, though, I space way out. I get really tired, too. I've had to pull over to power-nap.

Maddino87
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Oct 2009, 12:11 pm

I've been observing my parents drive for years that driving just came naturally to me. I drive an old-but-well-kept '97 Ford Explorer SUV 200 miles each weekend on the highway connecting my hometown to Charlotte and I know the road and backroads like the back of my hand. Why bother with this trip? I don't like staying in one place for too long, so driving is my escape.
My only weakness is parallel parking in a limited space.