What sense/prounouns do you use? & talking to yourself

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Uhura
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Oct 2009, 8:04 pm

Do you talk to yourself? If so do you say things in the "You" or do you say it with "I"? I have tendency to use 'you' when talking to myself or thinking but when I talk to others, I have no problems using "I".

Do you ever think in past tense when planning things? I sometimes think 'I did this, this, and that, or whatever when I am planning and mean "I will do this, this, and that."

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2009, 8:07 pm

Often times I don't even use pronouns..I might use "lets" or "we" when I do...I am pretty sure I skip the pronouns..and say "need" to do this or that

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2009, 8:48 pm

I talk to myself a lot. I usually use "you" or "we". The only time I use "I" is when I am debating a topic with myself. Then I use both "you" and "I" while being both the pro and con side of the issue. I have a bad habit of referring to myself as "we" when speaking to others. I once had a therapist raise an eyebrow at me over that and she thought I might have dissociative identity disorder. I have been trying not to do that... It seems to bother people. Heh heh heh.

As for planning, I tend to speak in present tense. I have issues getting things done and that seems to help me manage to follow through with what I have to tend to... though if I have to speak with someone else before I finish the task I speak of the thing as though I have done it... perhaps as a way to have to do it so I am not a liar. I am therefore committed to it...

Cassia
Toucan
Toucan

06 Oct 2009, 10:05 pm

Both "you" and "I" talking to myself. Probably more often "you". I think there's a difference between when I talk to myself and call myself "you" and when I talk to myself and call myself "I", but I'm not sure what the difference is.

I don't use past tense in referring to future plans.

Now convinced that I'm a bit autistic, but still unsure if I'd qualify for a diagnosis, since it causes me few problems. Apparently people who are familiar with the autism spectrum can readily spot that I'm a bit autistic, though.

X_Parasite
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2009, 10:29 pm

When thinking verbally, I don't talk to myself, but rather to someone else, who isn't present. Obviously, I use the second person.

machf
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Oct 2009, 10:47 pm

"Let's" and/or "we" would be the translation of what I use... (as in "veamos", "let's see"). And I mostly use pronouns when talking to other people ("you") or about some person who is also present ("he", "she", "this one" - my cousin hates when I refer to her as "this one"), I'll hardly use their names.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2009, 11:14 pm

I use the I sense.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Krasher
Raven
Raven

06 Oct 2009, 11:18 pm

Talking to myself is one of my favorite hobbies, so there are several ways to have a conversation. Too much time to practice.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 12:03 am

dossa wrote:
I talk to myself a lot. I usually use "you" or "we". The only time I use "I" is when I am debating a topic with myself. Then I use both "you" and "I" while being both the pro and con side of the issue. I have a bad habit of referring to myself as "we" when speaking to others. I once had a therapist raise an eyebrow at me over that and she thought I might have dissociative identity disorder. I have been trying not to do that... It seems to bother people. Heh heh heh.

Yeah, I do this to myself in my head (or sort of muttery under my breath as I'm walking down the street). It's not full-out talking to myself, exactly, but I imagine if I cared a bit less how I was perceived walking down the street it would be. :)

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 1:24 am

We will have to think about that, what will we do, there are at least two beings in our head.

I thought it was the two sides of the brain, different ways of perception, but they have to agree to act.

I hear NTs only have one side working, and that would explain a lot.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 2:48 am

Always as one person thinking to another. I'll refer to myself as John, Johnnie (which other people have called me), John Boy (again, something other people have called me, not a choice of words I'd've made myself!), Kay (short for a lot of things), fool (mentally accompanied by Cat Power singing "come along, fool"; if you think that's a cumbersome way to think, you're right!), plain "you", and other variations on a theme. Occasionally I'll think "well you know, and I know" meaning both sides of the mental dialogue. I used to use some more complicated mental pronouns, but not so much now.

The year is still young.

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 2:56 am

X_Parasite wrote:
When thinking verbally, I don't talk to myself, but rather to someone else, who isn't present. Obviously, I use the second person.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 12:48 pm

I talk to myself. When I talk to myself it's often times "you".

When I do something I'll think, "We need to ___", or "Let's ____".

For people I'm close to or on the internet, I often times don't use them. For instance, "What is ___ doing?" "How is ____?".

My sister is autie and doesn't use the appropriate pronouns. I think from hearing her all the time I just picked up the behavior.

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 1:13 pm

X_Parasite wrote:

Same here. When talking with others, I get confused or often do not clarify what I'm talking about. I will say things like "We were talking about", but I'm actually meaning my mom and I, or my boyfriend and I... I just never say it.

I also have a problem using "he said" or "she said" at times if I agree with somebody. I will say "we think" or "I said"... not meaning to take credit, just not thinking about the other person involved in the conversation usually at all when I'm relaying it later on. :? If I agreed with them, basically they are non-existent when I think about it later.

I can only assume that this is because it is now what I AM THINKING, and no longer what they are thinking as far as I'm concerned. I know and realize otherwise after I say it, but never notice it until after I've already said it.

As far as planning, it doesn't really happen-not well at least. I can do "at 5:30 every day I do this" "at 8:00 this happens in my house every night"... things I can count on, things I KNOW will happen. But if there is anything else planned anywhere in an evening, I'm at a loss, because I don't know if 8:00 stuff will become 8:30 stuff that night, or if one of the kids will get sick, or if I'll have my clothes dried in time, or if I'll be feeling up to it, etc. In those cases, I don't think "I" or "you" or anything of that sort... I just get frustrated with people and sulk.

"I enjoyed the meetings, too. It was like having friends." -Luna Lovegood