Anyone have strong moments of intuition and understanding?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

changing89
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jan 2010, 5:54 pm

The question that im asking is. "Does anyone (with aspergers on here) have strong moments of being extremely intuitive and understanding of people, but most of the time don't? Yet when you do have very strong feelings do you seem to be right on the money?"

I just had this experience now and wanted to blog about it really quickly.

My mom was getting mad with me on the phone because we had made a deal that i would pay for my cell phone bill ( i am 20 years old and she is a massive control freak and a dry addict/codependent/adult child) a long time ago. And ive been paying for it every month. All the sudden she says to me, ill pay it, and i didn't say anything, because I was gonna pay for it anyways.

But than i called my mom and told her and she freaked out and she started getting mad with me and i started getting very mad at her and i could tell her voice was shaking she was angry.

Anyways, i called my sponsor (spiritual guide) and i explained it to him and he said to me: "Why do you think she got so mad with you?" And i said to him, "Because she's afraid to let go, abandonement and control" and i felt it and meant saying that and understood it. He said to me "You know for someone with aspergers, that was very intuitive"...

I started to think do i have aspergers, i have not gotten diagnosed, but this is why i am asking this question.

This is actually kind of interesting too and i hope it doesn't get bumped... but could i possibly have an overwhelming amount of intuition? For some reason i never realized this too but when i am watching a movie or a television show and something is embarassing to me, my skin crawls. Maybe i feel much more emotions than others and it is too intense? Makes more sense actually.... I stand with the overproduction of emotions and neurons.
-sam

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 6:09 pm

changing89 wrote:
He said to me "You know for someone with aspergers, that was very intuitive"...

Well for a sponsor, that statement was not! Anybody who takes a personal inventory *should* thereafter intuitively know why other people do the very same kinds of things we have ever done.

I would not let this kind of thing cause you to question yourself.

M_p_furo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jan 2010, 6:29 pm

changing89 wrote:
My mom was getting mad with me on the phone because we had made a deal that i would pay for my cell phone bill ( i am 20 years old and she is a massive control freak and a dry addict/codependent/adult child) a long time ago. And ive been paying for it every month. All the sudden she says to me, ill pay it, and i didn't say anything, because I was gonna pay for it anyways.

But than i called my mom and told her and she freaked out and she started getting mad with me and i started getting very mad at her and i could tell her voice was shaking she was angry.

"Because she's afraid to let go, abandonement and control" and i felt it and meant saying that and understood it.

I could be wrong, but I wonder if you used the pattern of past experiences to explain her behavior for this current experience? I'm not sure if I would call that "intuition." But I'm honestly not sure. Someone else may have a better grasp of what "intuition" is.

But I don't think that people with Asperger's are incapable of intuition, from what I know about the concept.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 7:40 pm

I have many moments like that. I think that I have more intuition than even most women. I know which people to trust, and which people not to trust. I can also gage whom to talk to what, about.

ilivinamushroom
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Jan 2010, 9:10 pm

I believe our ability to objectively observe people and situations definitely gives us skills that emotion based people do not. I notice things about people in minutes that it may take others years to figure out. I have warned many family members about certain people and I was perceived as being negative, all turned out the way I predicted one even took my Papas life savings.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2010, 9:57 pm

I think missing the surface layer of communication can lead to perceiving more of what's really going on with people. If someone is putting on the act of being a "good person" but really isn't my gut misses the act, and responds to how they really are.

Saved my parents from being cheated out of about $30,000 this Spring that way (and was later able to confirm the guy was lying).

changing89
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jan 2010, 11:55 pm

lee i enjoyed your reply. I did do my 4th step. and i think i understand what you are saying lol. i need more responses this is very deep stuff to me. And my sponsor said it to me as a compliment, not as a "looking down upon" statement... Not a bully statement, so i think that was misinterpreted lee.

I did feel that my mom was being controlling as i told her before that i did not want her to pay for my bill. Its hard to explain. I had a feeling. I had a feeling. AGHHHH. I had a feeling... oooo000 that tonites gonna be a good nite lol

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 1:01 pm

changing89 wrote:
... And my sponsor said it to me as a compliment, not as a "looking down upon" statement... Not a bully statement, so i think that was misinterpreted lee.

Yes, I had heard that differently. Please forgive! If something can be heard negatively, that is often where I quite naturally begin.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 1:33 pm

If I'm "on my game," it's scary how well I can read people.

Then again, I think my AS doesn't impact my ability to "read" someone as much as I'm clueless about what to do with the information.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 1:41 pm

I do this quite a bit, but I wouldn't call it "intuition" as it's not something I just "feel".

I look at a person's behaviour over a certain period of time, add it to the recent development that initiated this inquiry and the result I come up with is always an objective observation. Which tends to be accurate most of the time, albeit potentially insensitive and hurtfull.
It's a concious process, a quick one, but concious nonetheless.

ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 4:15 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
gage whom to
Gauge, whom is only placed after a preposition. And no, I don't have moments of intuition.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 5:47 pm

ursaminor wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
gage whom to
Gauge, whom is only placed after a preposition. And no, I don't have moments of intuition.

Gauge, or guage? I have difficuly keeping that straight, but I think the "ua" is different than in "gauze"! :wink:

valkyrieraven88
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jan 2010, 6:35 pm

I think since we can't "read" people, people with autism will sometimes rely on other senses like intuition. I've had this, too. I'll just understand things about people that my friends don't, although I'm still hopeless at socializing.

release_the_bats
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 8:04 pm

changing89 wrote:
The question that im asking is. "Does anyone (with aspergers on here) have strong moments of being extremely intuitive and understanding of people, but most of the time don't? Yet when you do have very strong feelings do you seem to be right on the money?"

Yes.

I think it has to do with all the time I've spent as a passive and relatively unbiased observer of people. I've spent a lot more time listening keenly to conversations than actively participating in them. And when people get to know me, they tend to really open up to me because I'm so tight-lipped and non-judgmental. I don't give away people's secrets. Instead, I use them to help me gain insight into humanity in general.

As a consequence, I've become quite insightful about people, and I say this only because others have pointed it out to me. I've been told, "You have a face no one can lie to - it's like you see straight through a person into the core of who they are," and, "You're really good at picking up another person's way of thinking and you kind of take it on yourself as you interact with them."

The above tends to apply to more relaxed social situations. In more formal situations, I get self-conscious and therefore less aware of other people.

I'm still socially awkward.

ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 8:05 pm

leejosepho wrote:
ursaminor wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
gage whom to

Gauge, or guage? I have difficuly keeping that straight, but I think the "ua" is different than in "gauze"! :wink:
Gauge.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 8:30 pm

This form of insight happens to me quite a bit, actually...and I have more of these realizations as time goes on and I acquire more friends/social experiences, etc. It's all about the shift from being a passive socializer to an active one...the more you socialize, the greater amount of insight you end up gaining.

For example, last night, I finally "figured out" a friend of mine who I was often confused by. Much of it was because he is a guy of contradictions: he'll say one thing but then behave in a completely different way. After talking with a mutual friend about him and then thinking about him for a while, I got a really sudden burst of insight into what he was all about.

Most of these realizations seem to involve a sudden burst of understanding into someone's behaviour or point of view.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.