Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 11:23 am

Aspies have a wonderful rainbow of social blind spots. :wink:

What would you say are your BIGGEST social blind spots in the following categories :?:

1. Biggest cause of social impairment

2. Biggest cause of frustration or confusion (if different from #1)

I think mine are:

1. Monologues during 'conversations'

2. My tendency to almost always answer rhetorical questions (please let me not be the only one who does this) :!: :lol:

WillMcC
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 11:28 am

For me it's the inability to recognize faces. Almost everything else I can work around with practice

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 11:52 am

My inability to recognize that others are not interested in the same things I am.
My inability to feel what others think about me
My compulsion to over explain things
the blurt factor (intermittent)

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 11:55 am

Blind spot means I can't see it. I would have to ask those around me. But OP and next two posters have me nailed. I would not be surprised if one of those were my biggest blind spot. I do know have all those traits.

CerebralDreamer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 12:21 pm

Blindspot149 wrote:
Aspies have a wonderful rainbow of social blind spots. :wink:

What would you say are your BIGGEST social blind spots in the following categories :?:

I think mine are:

1. Monologues during 'conversations'

2. My tendency to almost always answer rhetorical questions (please let me not be the only one who does this) :!: :lol:

I had a college professor who was quite fond of rhetorical questions. Given my habit of answering them, it was quite an adjustment to make. I've never been able to predict what other people are thinking, which makes things more difficult than they should be. I also have a bad habit of saying exactly what's on my mind without filter.

I'd have to say ditto on the over-explanation...

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 12:24 pm

I cannot recognise faces. I answer rhetorical questions literally... don't you? :wink: If someone asks a question about one of my special interests, it's hard to shut me up, in one particular area particularly. I'm okay with body language if I focus intently on the signals... but if someone asks me about linguistics, language, etc... I'm likely to forget to concentrate on body language, and I'll just babble on till I notice the chilly absence of interest...

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 12:38 pm

Difficulty understanding other's perceptions of me...um...and Probably I send out the wrong body language...I have no way of telling really....

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 12:44 pm

Social heirarchy.

Within the usual social blindness, this is the one that gets me yelled at the most. I see a person, not a person above or below me. I will disagree with someone if I disagree, not go along because they have some kind of title or other vague 'superior' cachet.

So I am seen as insubordinate, disrespectful, and a threat.

dustintorch
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 12:59 pm

1. Inability to see what others think of me and social monologues.

2. constantly being misunderstood for whatever reason I've still not figured out.

I relate to everything else that posted so far, also.

racooneyes
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Oct 2009, 1:24 pm

Not knowing how to progress from preliminary small talk. I can chat about the weather or football for a few minutes but don't know what to do after a few minutes of this back and forth. Makes it really difficult to make and almost impossible to keep new friends.

Hmm, yeah being misunderstood is pretty bad but it's possible to work on that. I think the next most frustrating thing is the repetative and obsessive thoughts, takes a lot of constant effort to keep the negative ones at bay.

get all confused and then mix up the dates.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 1:34 pm

I hate small talk. I have no idea what to say to people and I can't wait to be left alone. The idea of talking just for the sake of talking is a waste of time IMO. I don't really want to know what they had eaten that day nor do I want to talk about my own dietary preferences, for example.

What i hate above is all is that no matter what I do or say or don't say I always stand out - I'm usually "weird" though more polite ones refer to me as "special", "unique", while all I want is to be left alone, and preferably not being noticed at all.

Murasame
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Oct 2009, 2:21 pm

Mine is probably not knowing what expression is on my face. People sometimes react badly to apparent negative looks I've given them or they'll ask me what's wrong when I'm actually feeling pretty normal. I get accused of smirking a lot as well.

10 Oct 2009, 2:30 pm

Not picking up on any social cues or hidden meanings.

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 2:37 pm

Blindspot149 wrote:

Inability to initiate and maintain interactions.

Blindspot149 wrote:

Not grasping others' intentions.

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 3:30 pm

Recognising rhetorical questions or the lack there of.

http://xelebes.wordpress.com/
My Blog

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 8:58 pm

Blindspot149 wrote:

1. Inability to "connect" with others. I can manage chit chat, but connecting to someone else depends wholly on there being some "chemistry" between us naturally, and it is very rare. Normally, this is not an issue as I don't need lots of shallow friends, but it's also why I won't join civic groups as I don't care for what they do and faking meaningful relationships is just too hard to do. This lack of ability to connect is why I can't nail job interviews. I can act the part but can't fake the connection.

2. Hard to say. I suppose it's that I can spot fine details about what's really going on when I'm in the capacity of observing other people interact, but I'm fairly clueless about spotting those same details when I'm in the interaction and need to properly respond to those details.