Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

asar
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2009, 5:15 pm

Hi,

When invited to parties, do you welcome them or dread them? And why?

For me - I dread them. Maybe it is because of all the people coming up to me, wanting to make small talk, I'm not sure. My stomach gets all twisted up in knots before the event. And even holiday family gatherings get me twisted up.

The holidays are approaching fast and I dread them because of it. I can't wait until the holidays or the parties are over.

Gosh, I hope I'm not the only one. 8O

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2009, 5:23 pm

Often I do go to them, but I don't usually talk to many people there. If there's any quiet person at a party not really talking to people, it's me. :?

SpongeBobRocksMao!

stevecam
Raven
Raven

18 Nov 2009, 5:29 pm

I love small talk

Try not to be nervous, we are all unique in our own little ways, and if someone doesn't like what you say, that is there problem
Although you should always consider how the other person reacts to something, just in case you are bringing up something uncomfortable

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2009, 5:56 pm

asar wrote:
Hi,

For me - I dread them. Maybe it is because of all the people coming up to me, wanting to make small talk, I'm not sure. My stomach gets all twisted up in knots before the event. And even holiday family gatherings get me twisted up.

The holidays are approaching fast and I dread them because of it. I can't wait until the holidays or the parties are over.

The word "avoid" would imply that I am getting invitations and turning them down. I don't get party invitations. It's not that people hate me and can't stand to have me at their parties, it's simply that I don't know more than a handful of people, and none of them are party people. I've been invited to about three parties in the past decade. That suits me fine.

Last Christmas, a friend of mine wanted to me come to a party at her house, but it would have been people from her and her husband's professional careers, in a higher socio-economic status than myself, which sounded like it might feel awkward. I don't do "dress up and schmooze" very well. So I didn't go. I don't see the point in mingling with people I have nothing in common with and will never see again. If I knew that my friend would have been close by, I might have reconsidered, but knowing her, she would have be frantically playing hostess and making sure there were enough hors d'ouvres.

I do like good food and good drink, though. If I can just sit in a comfy chair with a glass of eggnog , and listen to the conversations around me, then I'm fine with that.

Hobart
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Nov 2009, 6:00 pm

asar wrote:
Hi,

avoid like the plague :lol:

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2009, 6:43 pm

I avoid them like the H1N1 virus. Everyone there pretending that they want to be there, making samll talk just to say something. Then they all leave pretending they all had a good time. Everyone seems so fake at those things.

stevecam
Raven
Raven

18 Nov 2009, 6:54 pm

KenM wrote:
I avoid them like the H1N1 virus. Everyone there pretending that they want to be there, making samll talk just to say something. Then they all leave pretending they all had a good time. Everyone seems so fake at those things.

I would hate to go to one of these parties

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2009, 7:41 pm

stevecam wrote:
KenM wrote:

I would hate to go to one of these parties

That is the way I see everyone at every party I have ever been to. Maybe because of my AS I can cut through the BS and it looks to me like everyone is being fake and not saying what they really mean, that they are just as bored as everyone else and don't want to be there as well.

stevecam
Raven
Raven

18 Nov 2009, 7:50 pm

I think my ASD lets me see other through NT's a lot easier too, I think that's because they are different to us, and it is easier to see problems in a person that is different then yourself

Some parties get pretty boring, some are pretty exciting, personally I like to go to parties where the people are not there to make an idiot of themselves, just there to enjoy themselves and enjoy the company of others
I don't like parties where it is all teeny bopper music and where everyone is trying to get as drunk as they can and I hate it when everybody there is negative

Aoi
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2009, 7:54 pm

I generally don't go to parties of any sort. I have enough sensory issues that parties are very challenging at a purely neurological level. At a social/psychological level I usually find parties dull and pointless. I also have very few friends and acquaintances, so I rarely have to decline an invitation.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2009, 10:01 pm

sometimes.

Most of the time I cant be bothered going but usually I enjoy them if I do. These are the ones where everyone gets drunk though. Not the small talk ones.

I never want to go to the small talk ones

Whatsherhame
Toucan
Toucan

18 Nov 2009, 10:09 pm

Depends.

I hate large-scale partying like at clubs or dances. I don't mind little get-togethers with family and friends, though.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2009, 10:33 pm

Hate 'em, won't go to 'em.

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2009, 10:34 pm

Parties are boring.

Fidget
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Nov 2009, 10:42 pm

I do enjoy parties and get excited about going to them, because I love being around people, and I get lonely. Once I'm actually there though, continuing to make conversation seems to feel like a chore, and I usually just get tired and want to go home.

Sati
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2009, 10:55 pm

Depends on the kind of party, who will be there, and how many people will be there. Generally I avoid them.