do you think you talk a bout yourself too much?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2009, 10:31 am

i do sometimes. i know i might talk about myself a lot, but it's because i know myself best, and i'm very introspective. if you volunteer information, or want to tell me something, i will be all ears. but it might not occur to me to ask you something.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2009, 10:46 am

::Raises hand::

Guilty. :oops:

Extremely guilty. :oops:

For the same reasons. Someone mentioned in a post last week that such behavior could easily be mistaken for narcissism. I can see how one might interpret it that way. :oops:

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2009, 10:52 am

*sigh* so far from narcissism. i mean, i do LIKE talking about myself, but i dont understand anyone else as much as i do myself, and i like knowing my subject :D. i take great interest if someone tells me how they think or something. i just like learning about psychology. i am guilty of being more interested in myself than others at times, but isnt everyone? i dont think that is narcissism.

JasonGone
Raven
Raven

20 Oct 2009, 10:59 am

i am guilty as well. i have heard from many people that became friends that they thought i was arrogant when they first met me.
it always seems to be arrogant or psycho.

but yes, i am extremely guilty of talking about myself alot.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2009, 11:04 am

i talk about what i see through my eyes. i may not realize that the person i am talking to wants to contribute, and i often fail to hear their utterances. i talk about me when i am asked to talk about me, but i do not when i am not asked.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2009, 11:15 am

Quote:
Do you think you talk about yourself too much?

Yes. Now I realize that it's a sort of a stim for me to talk all the time. I just can't stand these awkward silences.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2009, 11:19 am

Yes, ma'am... I certainly do. I agree that I do so because I know myself best... I also (and this may be just knowing myself best) speak of myself a lot because the only way I can understand where someone is coming from is from drawing on my own experience. If it has not happened to me, I cannot relate at all. As a result, I retell happenings from my life and try to use that as a base point to understand others. It is not that I am trying to what... one up them or steal the conversation... I just cannot understand if I cannot understand. I also find myself more than willing to listen, but not so good at asking questions... unless the conversation is about a specific topic, ie if I am talking to someone about yarn, I might have a million questions for them about their preferences, experiences... it comes off as a factual information search though... This frustrates my nt daughter who always wants me to, out of nowhere, draw answers from her with specific questions that I can never seem to form. I tell her I would love to listen if she wants to talk. I just never know what to ask her to help her along the way. I feel bad about it. I have no thing to draw on from personal experience to understand the life and thought process of a typical twelve year old girl.

AMD
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Oct 2009, 11:26 am

Only on the forums. :oops:

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2009, 11:35 am

dossa wrote:
I retell happenings from my life and try to use that as a base point to understand others. It is not that I am trying to what... one up them or steal the conversation... I just cannot understand if I cannot understand.

yeah! i hope they dont think that i'm stealing the convo or oneing them up! ideally after recounting, they would say "yes, that's what I mean" then i would know i understood.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2009, 11:57 am

Spazzergasm wrote:
ideally after recounting, they would say "yes, that's what I mean" then i would know i understood.

Yep. That's it too.

Eto
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Oct 2009, 1:04 pm

dossa wrote:
Yes, ma'am... I certainly do. I agree that I do so because I know myself best... I also (and this may be just knowing myself best) speak of myself a lot because the only way I can understand where someone is coming from is from drawing on my own experience. If it has not happened to me, I cannot relate at all. As a result, I retell happenings from my life and try to use that as a base point to understand others. It is not that I am trying to what... one up them or steal the conversation... I just cannot understand if I cannot understand. I also find myself more than willing to listen, but not so good at asking questions... unless the conversation is about a specific topic, ie if I am talking to someone about yarn, I might have a million questions for them about their preferences, experiences... it comes off as a factual information search though... This frustrates my nt daughter who always wants me to, out of nowhere, draw answers from her with specific questions that I can never seem to form. I tell her I would love to listen if she wants to talk. I just never know what to ask her to help her along the way. I feel bad about it. I have no thing to draw on from personal experience to understand the life and thought process of a typical twelve year old girl.

I understand this all too well. I do this a lot. If someone is talking to me about a problem, my first instinct is to go "Yeah, I get that too, one time such-and-such happened and it made me feel ___" just to let them know I know how they feel, or give them an idea what I'm basing my empathy on.

I'll bet I get really annoying. >> And then I also don't want to talk about good things that have happened in case it comes off as bragging, so I instead come off as complaining. I don't really know why people enjoy my company sometimes... :roll:

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2009, 1:08 pm

Eto wrote:
I understand this all too well. I do this a lot. If someone is talking to me about a problem, my first instinct is to go "Yeah, I get that too, one time such-and-such happened and it made me feel ___" just to let them know I know how they feel, or give them an idea what I'm basing my empathy on.

I'll bet I get really annoying. >> And then I also don't want to talk about good things that have happened in case it comes off as bragging, so I instead come off as complaining. I don't really know why people enjoy my company sometimes... :roll:

DITTO. completely understand.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2009, 2:10 pm

I'm not sure if this is a rhetorical question (the bain of my life) or a trick question.

But............yes of course I talk to much about myself..............

I wonder if it is partly because not many people want to talk with me/us so we overdo it whenever we manage to find someone who doesn't head for the nearest international airport when they meet us :?: :arrow:

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2009, 2:26 pm

Blindspot149 wrote:
I'm not sure if this is a rhetorical question (the bain of my life) or a trick question.

But............yes of course I talk to much about myself..............

I wonder if it is partly because not many people want to talk with me/us so we overdo it whenever we manage to find someone who doesn't head for the nearest international airport when they meet us :?: :arrow:

it sucks. :/. and dont worry, it wasnt rheotorical. ;).

CleverKitten
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2009, 5:03 pm

I've noticed that alot of NT's seems to talk alot about other people, and very little about themselves. They will go on and on about the lives, thoughts, feelings, and exploits of someone else, but not relate their own experiences into the conversation.

It is sooo WIERD to me! I don't talk about other people's lives, thoughts, and feelings because I do not know other people's lives, thoughts, and feelings as well as they do themselves. Why not just let someone tell his/her OWN story?

I hate it when someone talks about my life, thoughts, and feelings because they always get the facts all wrong! Then I'm sitting there silently stewing in my frustration because it is apparently "rude" to correct someone's mistakes. :roll:

Check out my blog: http://glanceoutthewindow.blogspot.com/

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2009, 5:27 pm

mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

In almost every conversation I have the urge to chime in with my own experience in something, "I did that..." or "When I was..." or "I could never..."

I sometimes remember the occasional, "what about you?" but to be honest, those are the exception, not the rule.