Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

TomAdams92
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Oct 2009, 1:40 pm

Are aspies less likely to get jobs and if they are is it possible not somehow pretend you dont have aspergers?

WritersBlock
Raven
Raven

27 Oct 2009, 1:49 pm

This is a somewhat loaded dual question.
Are people on the spectrum less likely to get jobs? I don't believe so but then opinions on this will vary greatly: Some will claim constant discrimination and others will have experienced no discrimination at all.
Is it possible to pretend not to be on the spectrum? Sure it is- I do it all the time. Quite successfully I might add.

ETA: I do suggest avoiding any job which requires taking a "Unicru" personality inventory unless you overtly lie on it. It's a divisive test designed to exclude most people who exhibit any kind of spectrum traits (IMHO).

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2009, 3:37 pm

I know you won't like this question, but it really all depends on the person, how your AS presents itself, and what kinds of jobs you're applying for. Personally, I don't recommend faking it too much in the interview. Putting your best foot forward, sure, but not pretending to be someone you're not. Because then if you get the job, you'll be stuck having to keep up the act.

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2009, 3:38 pm

I know you won't like this answer, but it really all depends on the person, how your AS presents itself, and what kinds of jobs you're applying for. Personally, I don't recommend faking it too much in the interview. Putting your best foot forward, sure, but not pretending to be someone you're not. Because then if you get the job, you'll be stuck having to keep up the act.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2009, 6:57 pm

A high-functioning Aspie who has learned enough coping skills to present effectively in an interview is probably not going to be significantly disadvantaged.

On the other hand, an Aspie who presents learning disabilities, or profound social deficits is going to require accommodation, that may be easier or harder to come by, depending upon the jurisdiction, the industry and the nature of the employment.

My current job involves all manner of mathematical, economic and financial modelling, and was designed for me so that my boss could hire me without a competition. But I have also successfully competed for jobs in enormous, open competitions.

The stories of success or impediment are as varied as the Aspies who are involved in them.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2009, 7:37 am

TomAdams92 wrote:
Are aspies less likely to get jobs and if they are is it possible not somehow pretend you dont have aspergers?

Yes and yes.

Having AS to any degree which impairs you is crippling in trying to gain opportunity where the hiring person doesn't take the time to know you as a whole person.

However, depending on how impaired you are, it is possible to monitor your actions and put on a good game face to have a shot at getting hired.

Of course, after you are hired, keeping the job is the next challenge.

I've been unable to ever secure a "good" job or keep one that even came close.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Oct 2009, 8:12 am

I just wanted to tell you my experiences in getting jobs.

1. I was in high school and a new grocery store was opening down the road from my house. The owner was friends of my family and seemed excited to give me a job interview to work as a stockboy. I was interviewed by him...and never got a call back.

2. I was in college and decided to try to earn some money by working at an ice cream shop. The owner there was good friends with my father and even suggested I work for him. He said for me to come in for an interview and be prepared to work. I interviewed...and he never called me back.

3. My cousin was high up in the management of an upscale department store near my hometown. She said to come in for an interview and I would get a job. And I did. I was a sales clerk in men's clothing. Awkward---oh yes, but I got paid. I only worked as an extra during the Christmas season during my college years.

4. Immediately after getting my English/teaching degree I got hired to teach high school English at a local school district. I was given the roughest classes the principal could possibly assemble for me. And the principal was my cousin. What was going on? I wasn't even given a classroom---I had to roam the building using other teachers' rooms on their prep periods. The following year, the principal called me into his office and told me, "I hired you for one reason...so that you could teach here one year and then be released so that I can take your position because I have been wanting to resign from the principalship of this school...then I will take your English position." I could hardly believe this. I contacted an attorney in the teacher's union and the battle started. It was decided it was unlawful for him to do this, so I remained a teacher, and he remained the principal. Things got ugly fast. He gave me classes with over 30 discipline problem students at a time. I averaged 7 detentions a day just for one class. I couldn't do anything with the students. Whenever I expressed my concerns over the trouble with the classes, he said he would remove 5 students or so and put them in another class to help me...but instead, I gained more students and things got worse. He was trying to drive me out. The assistant principal told me things would only get worse for me. I got my Master's Degree and through a default and missed deadline on the Board of Education's part, I had to be given by law a continuing contract. The principal had then placed a video camera in my room as he tried to catch me in any mistake so that I could be fired. I was in a living hell. The principal finally resigned, and things slowly got better for me. Now, I teach the gifted---and I am happy.

Sorry for the long narrative. But it felt good to rant a bit.