Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Do you have a history of trouble with IBS?
I am a female on the spectrum with a history of IBS troubles 20%  20%  [ 31 ]
I am a female on the spectrum with a history of IBS troubles 21%  21%  [ 33 ]
I am a female on the spectrum with little to no IBS troubles 7%  7%  [ 11 ]
I am a female on the spectrum with little to no IBS troubles 8%  8%  [ 12 ]
I am a male on the spectrum with a history of IBS troubles 12%  12%  [ 19 ]
I am a male on the spectrum with a history of IBS troubles 14%  14%  [ 22 ]
I am a male on the spectrum with little to no IBS troubles 4%  4%  [ 6 ]
I am a male on the spectrum with little to no IBS troubles 6%  6%  [ 9 ]
I am a neurotypical with IBS (please specify gender in response) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I am a neurotypical with IBS (please specify gender in response) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I am a neurotypical no IBS issues(please specify gender in response) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I am a neurotypical no IBS issues(please specify gender in response) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other (please specify) 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Other (please specify) 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
This poll is highly flawed (explain why) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
This poll is highly flawed (explain why) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Just want to see the results 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Just want to see the results 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 155

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2010, 7:09 pm

Hovis wrote:
I didn't know digestive problems were more common among people with ASDs. 8O But I suppose it might make sense, because IBS is thought to be the brain and the gut not working in correct cohesion, and if our brains are 'miswired' in the autistic way, then they could easily be miswired in others.
They aren't any more likely than people with other disabilities to have IBS. Once you adjust for that, there's no difference. Additionally, IBS is so extremely common, occurring in one in five of the general population (perhaps more--the majority of IBS cases never even see a doctor; and it is much more common in children), that you will see it co-occurring with autism by chance extremely often. No wonder the biomed quacks have seized on IBS as some sort of sign that autism starts in the digestive system--the coincidence of autism and IBS is among the easiest to detect, and they do not think about the fact that it simply occurs very often in the general population.

Evidence lacking for special diets in autism (Yahoo News)

Yet another study comes out with the result that bowel problems are no more common among autistic people than among NTs; doctors are being warned to watch for nutritional deficiencies in autistic children whose parents have put them on special diets.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2010, 7:28 pm

I finally got around to making that appointment to go see my doc about it, after paying close attention to what's actually going on during the weeks I don't smoke. it seems like my body really can't tell when it should purge. after 3-4 days I end up nauseous with a backache and bloated and cramps, then I go buy cigarettes and within minutes of smoking one I usually feel the urge to purge, then I feel bruised and beat up for a day or so but if I smoke a couple of cigarettes a day I'm more or less normal.

I doubt anything will come of the appointment since I won't take any more scary meds. more likely I'll start taking laxatives regularly. I really do need a consult for the fibromyalgia though, so it seems like a good time to talk to my doc about why my guts can't trigger the correct response on their own.

Carl_LaFong
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jan 2010, 8:32 pm

Yes, about 3 to 4 years back I went in to the gastro doc with symptoms which were sounding like Celiac disease but I ended up with a diagnosis of having IBS instead.

The PA recommended a book - I remember the author, Heather Van Vorous, but not sure which title. It was excellent and there was one thing which especially helped. Try to have 50% of every meal consist of soluble fiber - any starchy food like pasta, white rice, crackers. After starting that I've seldom had an upset stomach. There were other guidelines like cut down on caffeine, alcohol, oily foods, spicy foods, but soluble fiber was the key in my case.

Nephesh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jan 2010, 6:44 am

I'm not sure what I have, but it is certainly a digestive problem. There is, more often than not, a great deal of bright red blood in my stool. And usually, everything is fairly loose, very close to diarrhea. The doctors ran a colonoscope camera up and looked around but didn't find anything. They suggested that I wasn't eating enough fiber.
How much more fiber can I eat? I eat high fiber cereal (Flax Plus), I eat beans and brown rice for lunch and more beans for dinner. For a snack I make a shake out of Kefer, whey protein, hemp fiber, and Udo's Fast Food (more fiber). Beyond that problem my gut seems to be okay. And, despite the severe blood loss, I don't seem to be anemic or anything like that.

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2010, 6:48 am

I had it for about 10 years. It was horrible. I had trouble just going to the store to buy groceries.

Anyhow, this is what helped me. For temporary relief, I found that a daily dose of metamucil helped a lot. As did equalactin(Fiber-con).

Things that contained aspartame (diet coke, equal, etc.) made it significantly worse. Caffeine was bad too, but not as bad as aspartame.

What finally cured me was 4 ounces of fleet phospho soda (not the enema) in ginger ale, followed by another 4 ounces 4 hours later. That dosage causes spastic colon convulsions that produces significant diarrhea all night long so you don't want to get more than a few feet from the toilet if you try that. Also, I had to be on a liquid only diet the day before I started this treatment and continue to drink tons of water during the treatment. After gradually weaning myself back on real food, I haven't had any trouble since. At that time, Fleet Phospho Soda was available without a prescription.

I know very well what its like to have IBS and I hope this info will help some of you.

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2010, 7:03 am

I haven't ever had any noticeable digestive problems, except being allergic to milk when I was a baby. (I'm fine with it now.)

But, uuh..

WARNING! TMI:

You know how canned cat food has that sort of jelly stuff around it?
.....yeah, sometimes.. that.

I don't know if that's really relevant, but thought I'd post it for the sake of adding to the information pile. It started around high school some time. I'm 24 and female.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Jan 2010, 4:49 pm

wigglyspider wrote:
WARNING! TMI:

You know how canned cat food has that sort of jelly stuff around it?
.....yeah, sometimes.. that.

I don't know if that's really relevant, but thought I'd post it for the sake of adding to the information pile. It started around high school some time. I'm 24 and female.

That sounds like you are not digesting fats. I believe that the substance that your are describing sounds like bowel mucous, which shows some sort of bowel irritation.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Jan 2010, 4:52 pm

Nephesh wrote:
I'm not sure what I have, but it is certainly a digestive problem. There is, more often than not, a great deal of bright red blood in my stool. And usually, everything is fairly loose, very close to diarrhea. The doctors ran a colonoscope camera up and looked around but didn't find anything. They suggested that I wasn't eating enough fiber.
How much more fiber can I eat? I eat high fiber cereal (Flax Plus), I eat beans and brown rice for lunch and more beans for dinner. For a snack I make a shake out of Kefer, whey protein, hemp fiber, and Udo's Fast Food (more fiber). Beyond that problem my gut seems to be okay. And, despite the severe blood loss, I don't seem to be anemic or anything like that.

Have you ever had any type of surgery/ I've been having this problem, and after a colonoscopy that showed nothing, it was finally diagnosed as post surgery adhesions, which are causing segments of the intestines to adhere to scar tissue. This causes tearing and bleeding when you have a bowel movement. After I had some Physical therapy on my abdomen, breaking up said adhesions, the problem was fixed.

AMDeering
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jul 2010, 10:39 pm

I have IBS-D alternating with IBS-C. I usually welcome the "C" with open arms. I've yet to find anything that helps me, but I haven't really looked much. I've ran to my doctor whining and crying about it, but she suggested exercise. Pffft.

No, no. I'm trying, I really am. I usually get a flare of IBS-D around the time of my menstrual cycle. 8 times out of 10 I'll flare up around them. The other 2 out of 10 times I just flare up whenever. I have not had an IBS flare this month, though, but certain stress factors are not in my life right now.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?"

Sefirato
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jul 2010, 3:23 am

For a long time I've always known that I have IBS-like symtpoms. Only until last week I didn't know what it was. Now I do. I have to go to the doctor and have this checked out to be sure, but I'm pretty sure this is what is causing me to have IBS-like issues. It's mostly because of Fructose. (especially High Fructose Corn Syrups) I'm not sure, but maybe some of you might have this too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose_malabsorption

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 5:41 am

Since April I've been having IBS symptoms. I am usually very nervous about going the toilet, because I don't know what's going to happen next. Thankfully this past week or 2 hasn't been that bad, but today it's back in full swing. I don't know what's causing it, I don't know if it's something I'm eating, an emotional thing or what?? I sometimes try to avoid all-bran or anything really fibery so I'm not too loose. Some days I've eaten nothing but white toast and crackers.
It's very restricting, especially in the morning, because many days I go to the toilet about 3 times a morning, whether it's loose or not. I don't get constipation though, I sometimes wish I did because at least it's hard! I've almost become scared of my own bowels, going the toilet fills me with anxiety because it's so f*****g unpredictable!

huytongirl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Sep 2014, 4:54 am

I do have IBS, and am lactose intolerant (ie more diarrhoea). Soya in any form provokes it too. I don't have gluten intolerance - had a test at the hospital during a very bad diarrhea spell.

I feel often like an animal fed on the wrong food - like a cat fed on dog food.

But I a rationalist and have no truck with pseudoscience - any explanarion which goes on about toxins and leaky guts is nonsense. I tried googling this and drowned in woo and warrior mommies - the first hit that came up was from Autism Lies. So I feel frustrated. I want an explanation which doesn't rely on fairy dust or eugenics.

Maybe as someone said here, we're just a bit skewed and that goes for everything. High intelligence and a bad sromack. Heigh ho.

huytongirl

25 Sep 2014, 4:55 am

I do have IBS, and am lactose intolerant (ie more diarrhoea). Soya in any form provokes it too. I don't have gluten intolerance - had a test at the hospital during a very bad diarrhea spell.

I feel often like an animal fed on the wrong food - like a cat fed on dog food.

But I a rationalist and have no truck with pseudoscience - any explanarion which goes on about toxins and leaky guts is nonsense. I tried googling this and drowned in woo and warrior mommies - the first hit that came up was from Autism Lies. So I feel frustrated. I want an explanation which doesn't rely on fairy dust or eugenics.

Maybe as someone said here, we're just a bit skewed and that goes for everything. High intelligence and a bad sromack. Heigh ho.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2014, 9:10 am

I only have IBS when I'm at my boyfriend's house, which is once every week. :roll: Couldn't have it at a worse possible time and place. Otherwise, I have no trouble with guts at all.

I tried looking up on Google about it, but all it says is what foods to avoid. Food doesn't play a part in how my guts behave. I have a very tolerant stomach. I've often drank gallons of milk and have no trouble at all that night. But whatever I eat, and whether I eat or not, I get IBS at my boyfriend's. I f*****g hate it, and I don't know what to do to stop it coming at the worst possible time. I've took stomach settling tablets but they only work for a certain amount of time, and I'm scared to take too many because I'm on antidepressants, so you've got to be careful when you take over-the-counter type of medication.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2014, 10:13 am

I have cyclic IBS. Constipation not as bad as diarrhea.