Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Aspienoid
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 12 Jan 2009
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Posts: 112
Location: Somewhere in Outer Space

16 Nov 2009, 5:03 pm

In my English class, I have been given the task of constructing a persuasive essay (to be presented in the form of a speech).

Now, I enjoy writing quite a lot; however, this assignment has me drawing a blank. I do not know what I should write about (I am cincerned with other students not being interested in what I have to say).

I was thinking about bringing autism or developmental disorders into the essay as I think I would do well with that idea; but, I do not know how to turn the idea into a persuasive essay.

One thing I would like to mention (here, not in the essay) is that I have not been diagnosed with autism or anything else. I just have my secret gut feeling that it could be possible.

Do you have any ideas for a topic? Any advice or suggestions are much welcome and appreciated.

Thank you!


_________________
http://scarlet-tide.deviantart.com/

"With one good trait there is usually the sacrifice of another."


Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 May 2009
Age: 55
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,450
Location: x

16 Nov 2009, 5:44 pm

Aspienoid wrote:
In my English class, I have been given the task of constructing a persuasive essay (to be presented in the form of a speech).

Now, I enjoy writing quite a lot; however, this assignment has me drawing a blank. I do not know what I should write about (I am cincerned with other students not being interested in what I have to say).

I was thinking about bringing autism or developmental disorders into the essay as I think I would do well with that idea; but, I do not know how to turn the idea into a persuasive essay.

!


Since it has to be persuasive, it must persuade people into accepting or at least considering something about autism or developmental disorders. So here are some controversial topics that you could try to persuade people on:
1)the origins of autism: "The rate of autism is rising because of enviromental changes" or "the rate of autism is the same, but the rate of diagnosis has gone up"

2)the new DSM: "Aspergers Sundrome should be included under the umbrella term of 'Autism Spectrum'" or "Aspergers Syndrome should retain its own category"

3)cure: "if a cure for autism becomes possible, it should be persued and offered" or "nothing can undo wiring so to persue 'cure' is to persue destruction of personality of autistic people or genocide of those fetuses carrying it"

4)difference or disability: "The autism spectrum represents a different way for minds to operate but it is not a defective way" or "the autism spectrum is a disability and anything that can be done to make children 'less autistic' should be done"

These are just a few of the topics that have been hashed out here. Any one of them could be turned into a persuasive essay. I've written some persuasive essays of my own on a couple of these topics (otherwise known as really long posts).



fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Apr 2009
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,821
Location: The Autistic Hinterlands

16 Nov 2009, 5:48 pm

Well, any essay starts with a thesis and continues with supporting points. A persuasive essay is all about convincing people why your thesis is valid, and possibly changing their minds.

Your thesis could be something like "autism does not imply mental retardation" and then cite examples of why this is not so. Or possibly "you probably know someone who is autistic and don't realize it." There are countless other things you could talk about.

Hope that helps a bit.


_________________
"That leap of logic should have broken his legs." - Janissy


Aspienoid
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 12 Jan 2009
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Posts: 112
Location: Somewhere in Outer Space

16 Nov 2009, 6:52 pm

You both have good tips here. I feel like I will have to tread carefully (as fiddlerpianist said about not knowing about someone being diagnosed with autism). I do not want to offend anyone and I also want to keep the class interested (which is hard considering I don't speak well so I am difficult to understand).

What about this, as a potential topic:

"Developmental Disorders: Disabilities or Differences?"


_________________
http://scarlet-tide.deviantart.com/

"With one good trait there is usually the sacrifice of another."


wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Apr 2009
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,306
Location: WA, USA

16 Nov 2009, 7:24 pm

fiddlerpianist wrote:
Your thesis could be something like "autism does not imply mental retardation"


That's what I was going to suggest.. I think that's something really important that many of the public has strong misconceptions about. Although I don't know if that would be persuasive or just informative.

Aspienoid wrote:
"Developmental Disorders: Disabilities or Differences?"

I think this one is pretty good, in its intention.. but I don't know, because a lot of us struggle because we lack certain important abilities, so I'd say it technically is a disability, for sure. So I just don't know how convincing a speech you could make out of it.

Sorry. XD;;;
You don't have to listen to me, lol.


_________________
"You gotta keep making decisions, even if they're wrong decisions, you know. If you don't make decisions, you're stuffed."
- Joe Simpson


hazelm
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 3 Nov 2009
Gender: Female
Posts: 46

16 Nov 2009, 8:24 pm

Quote:
"Developmental Disorders: Disabilities or Differences?"

I like that one. Too many people regard those with developmental disorders as inferior.

Quote:
Aspienoid wrote:
"Developmental Disorders: Disabilities or Differences?"

I think this one is pretty good, in its intention.. but I don't know, because a lot of us struggle because we lack certain important abilities, so I'd say it technically is a disability, for sure. So I just don't know how convincing a speech you could make out of it.

Good point. Hmm...
Maybe you could write something along the lines of the fact that the world needs people like us. Numerous artists, mathemeticians, and inventors had AS, and where would the world be without them?

Random, irrelevant fact: Julius Caesar had epilepsy.

Just a few thoughts. Pay no attention if they are unhelpful. :)



Aspienoid
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 12 Jan 2009
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Posts: 112
Location: Somewhere in Outer Space

17 Nov 2009, 4:25 pm

hazelm wrote:
Quote:
"Developmental Disorders: Disabilities or Differences?"

I like that one. Too many people regard those with developmental disorders as inferior.

Quote:
Aspienoid wrote:
"Developmental Disorders: Disabilities or Differences?"

I think this one is pretty good, in its intention.. but I don't know, because a lot of us struggle because we lack certain important abilities, so I'd say it technically is a disability, for sure. So I just don't know how convincing a speech you could make out of it.

Good point. Hmm...
Maybe you could write something along the lines of the fact that the world needs people like us. Numerous artists, mathemeticians, and inventors had AS, and where would the world be without them?

Random, irrelevant fact: Julius Caesar had epilepsy.

Just a few thoughts. Pay no attention if they are unhelpful. :)


Okay, I see what you are saying. That's what I was heading for- needing people like us. But I can't think of a way to phrase it. Hmm.

So I suppose it's an equality argument of sorts- or something along those lines.

??


_________________
http://scarlet-tide.deviantart.com/

"With one good trait there is usually the sacrifice of another."


Vyn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Oct 2009
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,070
Location: The fires of the mind

17 Nov 2009, 4:58 pm

You could make a simple sweeping statement that all humans should be treated equally. Unlike just some humans. Like the current huge fight with gay marriage, why should a homosexual be barred from this any more than a black or woman was barred from voting? You could include Autism in that in such a fashion as to those with it shouldn't be treated as socially inferior, as we so often are, especially by and as children.


_________________
I am Jon Stewart with some Colbert cynicism, Thomas Edison's curiousity, wrapped around a hardcore gamer sprinkled very liberally with Deadpool, and finished off with an almost Poison Ivy-esque love/hate relationship with humanity flourish.


Aspienoid
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 12 Jan 2009
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Posts: 112
Location: Somewhere in Outer Space

17 Nov 2009, 5:09 pm

Vyn wrote:
You could make a simple sweeping statement that all humans should be treated equally. Unlike just some humans. Like the current huge fight with gay marriage, why should a homosexual be barred from this any more than a black or woman was barred from voting? You could include Autism in that in such a fashion as to those with it shouldn't be treated as socially inferior, as we so often are, especially by and as children.


I like that idea, but I think I would like to focus only on autism (I see the way people in our school treat others who are different, and that often comes from the person being different cognitively or mentally). I want to keep it more focused as I think I would have a better chance to convey my point.

I have begun planning for my essay with this slightly revised topic: "Autism: Disibilty or Difference in Ability?

I haven't quite hashed out all of the points I want to make, so any feedback is greatly welcome. I want this to be the best and most convincing essay I have ever written. I want it to make an impact (which may be wishful thinking, but it's what I'm heading for).


_________________
http://scarlet-tide.deviantart.com/

"With one good trait there is usually the sacrifice of another."


Aspienoid
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 12 Jan 2009
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Posts: 112
Location: Somewhere in Outer Space

19 Nov 2009, 5:53 pm

I've actually been thinking and researching some more on the persuasive essay and I've come to this as a topic I think I could work with:

Autism: Increasing Awareness, Not Epidemic.

What do you think? Could I write a convincing persuasive essay on that topic?


_________________
http://scarlet-tide.deviantart.com/

"With one good trait there is usually the sacrifice of another."


AdamJohn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

Joined: 17 Mar 2020
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 3
Location: Orlando

17 Mar 2020, 12:41 pm

Make a work plan and stick to it. This is the best way.



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,107
Location: temperate zone

17 Mar 2020, 2:28 pm

AdamJohn wrote:
Make a work plan and stick to it. This is the best way.


Your advice is eleven years too late. :lol:



B19
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jan 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 9,993
Location: New Zealand

25 Mar 2020, 5:02 pm

Pretty typical of a spammer who is still visiting here trying to hawk crap.



FletcherArrow
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Joined: 20 Oct 2019
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 365
Location: usa

26 Mar 2020, 11:05 am

Aspienoid wrote:
In my English class, I have been given the task of constructing a persuasive essay (to be presented in the form of a speech).

Now, I enjoy writing quite a lot; however, this assignment has me drawing a blank. I do not know what I should write about (I am cincerned with other students not being interested in what I have to say).

I was thinking about bringing autism or developmental disorders into the essay as I think I would do well with that idea; but, I do not know how to turn the idea into a persuasive essay.

One thing I would like to mention (here, not in the essay) is that I have not been diagnosed with autism or anything else. I just have my secret gut feeling that it could be possible.

Do you have any ideas for a topic? Any advice or suggestions are much welcome and appreciated.

Thank you!


What is it you want to persuade people to believe? Why not persuade them to give more funding for at risk children in schools, or to fund programs for educating Aspie kids.

You need to persuade not describe.



B19
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jan 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 9,993
Location: New Zealand

26 Mar 2020, 4:29 pm

The person who raised this issue last visited in 2010