Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 1:51 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsMpx_zs1DI[/youtube]

I have driven on this road before and in these types of conditions.Has anyone else here experienced these types of conditions while driving?I do alot of highway winter driving when I go visit my parents who live three hours away.

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

ssenkrad
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Dec 2009, 1:57 am

Sure have. When I was 16-17 and living in Northern Pennsylvania, I owned a massive RWD station wagon that got around 8 miles per gallon. I remember many trips like this on country roads. One winter, it got so bad I had to put two 100 pound bags of sand in the hatch to reclaim some traction. Then when it was time to hoon around in an empty parking lot covered in 3 inches of snow, I'd take them out. LOL

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 1:58 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdOnUyLD-BI[/youtube]

a snowstorm in Red Deer 2 days ago....its been pretty cold here since then.Today was -20 C

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 2:26 am

Winters finally here, we have been lucky so far, Calgary gets a couple
of centimeters and all the drivers have forgotten how to drive in it.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 2:33 am

Put your trust in the machine and the machine will see you through

03 Dec 2009, 4:42 am

I love snow. I have driven in it that bad in the mountains. Back when I lived in Montana, I had to drive in it every winter. Lot of people there hated driving in it but I didn't mind it. But here in Portland, that be another story. I just stay home when it comes. We don't handle the snow here as other places do who get lot of it.

PaganMom
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Dec 2009, 7:34 am

I live in Alabama. When there are snow flurries or ice, they just close the roads. It's not very common here.

PaganMom

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 8:16 am

I grew up in Buffalo New York so I know about real winter driving. It is actually fun if you know what you are doing but very dangerous when you do not. The worst storm though was driving from Chicago to Buffalo in a storm that literally followed me all the way.

Oregon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Dec 2009, 8:54 am

I've driven in a lot of extreme weather conditions.

It only snows a few weeks out of the year here, so most people are clueless on how to drive on snow and ice. I just try to keep clear of everyone & when that BMW tale gates me on an icy bridge.. I just slow down & hopes the person will stop texting long enough to realize they are following too close.

03 Dec 2009, 10:12 am

Speaking of people not driving well here in the snow, here is a video that happened here in Portland just before I moved here.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMzeiMJQrvk[/youtube]

And I thought it was my aspie trait that was making me find this all funny because I was flabbergasted that people would drive like that. At first I thought it was fake until I saw a news clip about it from my area on youtube. But then I was happy to hear that lot of other people on youtube found it funny and it made me feel a lot better and it was normal to find this all funny. Not an aspie thing I lacked empathy for this and I wasn't the only one who found them stupid. Yeah Portland doesn't get lot of snow but we got it like once a year for a few days because I lived in the area for 13 years before we moved and we got snow every year. I can't think of one year when we didn't get it. And I think people would know how to drive in the snow by then after one lousy experiance. I almost slid into the barb wire fence on our drive way when I was 17 and I knew to drive slower ever sense. I was even informed to drive slow in it and to stop sooner when it's icy. I've known this before I got my lisence.

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 10:40 am

i hate driving in snow &ice because most people just turn long ligths on and press gass :evil:

M_p_furo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Dec 2009, 11:56 am

demeus wrote:
I grew up in Buffalo New York so I know about real winter driving. It is actually fun if you know what you are doing but very dangerous when you do not. The worst storm though was driving from Chicago to Buffalo in a storm that literally followed me all the way.

I live on the lake but quite a ways south from Buffalo. But my town still gets nearly the same weather. I couldn't find a video of a storm from my town, but here's one from Buffalo. I HATE driving in the winter. Mostly at night because I can't see with the snow falling and cars coming towards me.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u81GeYDTVtg[/youtube]

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2009, 5:08 am

red deer advocate article

Quote:
Red Deer Advocate
Slick roads test drivers

By Paul Cowley - Red Deer Advocate

Published: December 01, 2009 7:42 AM
Updated: December 01, 2009 8:19 AM

95 Comments Winter briefly flexed its muscle Monday creating treacherous conditions on area roads.

Emergency crews throughout Central Alberta were kept busy all afternoon responding to numerous fender benders on slick roadways.

There was a multi-vehicle collision about 10 km south of Red Deer on Hwy 2 and another near Innisfail about 3:30 p.m.

About the same time, eight cars piled into each other on Gaetz Avenue near the Parkland Mall. All across the city, vehicles slid, spun and swerved as freshly fallen snow was burnished into sheets of ice.

At many intersections, drivers stepped on the gas and barely moved, their tires spinning.

Innisfail deputy fire chief Dennis Fehr said they got a few calls about minor accidents on Hwy 2, but there weren’t any serious collisions or injuries.

“We didn’t need to pull out our tools.

“There were several vehicles in the ditch and several fender benders, and jackknifes with 18-wheelers, that kind of thing.”

Hwy 2 was slippery much of the afternoon and visibility was at times greatly reduced. Traffic slowed to about 70 to 80 km/h.

Red Deer Emergency Services also was despatched to several collisions, but were called back on two of them, said Platoon Chief Randy Kidd.

They did respond to an accident near the Joffre Bridge when a vehicle struck a power pole, likely after losing control on icy roads.

“I assume so. It was very slippery,” he said.

There were no injuries in the accident.

On Hwy 2 drivers seemed to be taking heed of conditions, he said. “For the most part the traffic is driving cautiously, so that’s a good thing.”

Conditions seemed to be worse further south in the Bowden area.

Alberta Transportation listed many major routes in Central Alberta as having poor driving conditions for most of the afternoon.

Environment Canada was calling for an end to the snow by Monday evening. Tuesday is expected to be sunny and reaching a high of -6C.

More snow is forecast for Friday and Saturday. Temperatures will drop by the weekend with a high of -10C forecast for Saturday and a peak temperature of -12C Sunday.

• CLICK HERE FOR AMA CENTRAL ALBERTA ROAD REPORT

[email protected]

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2009, 5:29 am

Went for a 1km walk to the store then back home, the wind and blowing snow felt so
good on my face, this blizzard makes me fell so energetic and has lifted my spirits, its
defiantly not weather for driving in

ASMJT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Dec 2009, 3:35 pm

Just like "Buffalonians," I have been dealing with lake effect snow in northeast Ohio my entire life! I loved it when I was a child, but as soon as I had to start driving in it...an entirely different story. I decided to purchase snow tires for the first time last year, and now I wonder what took me so long! We get snow squalls much worse than the OP's video at times. I'm also parking the car in my garage for the first time, so for once, I will not have to clean my car off before traveling. Now I just need a snowblower, and I'll be up one less inconvenience of shoveling my driveway. I wish I had some pictures uploaded showing the deep snow we get every year. It frequently snows a few feet. One year, it snowed about 6 feet and buildings were collapsing from the weight of the snow. My employer had to close for one day, and have hired workers shovel the snow off the roof. I also spent all night helping my brother and dad shovel snow off the roof of their house. I do not look forward to this time of the year! I'll be patiently waiting for the lake to freeze over.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2009, 9:00 pm

Tory_canuck wrote

Quote:
I have driven on this road before and in these types of conditions.Has anyone else here experienced these types of conditions while driving?I do alot of highway winter driving when I go visit my parents who live three hours away.

I haven’t driven on snow in a while since I live in Florida but I have done it enough before to know what it’s like. I’ve driven that same highway you’re on and the ALCAN in the winter to name a few.
The ALCAN is a real mother when it’s snowing hard!
After my first time driving on snow I quickly learned what to do and just as importantly what NOT to do.
Ice storms suck, too.