Intense world syndrome and Dabrowski's Overexcitabilities

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 11:53 am

As many of you should know by now I'm interested in both Autism and Gifted world, doing my researches I've found a bounch of interesting articles I want to share with you:

From: http://giftedkids.about.com/od/gifted10 ... excite.htm

Quote:
Does your child complain about the seams in his socks? Put her hands over her ears when the movie starts in the movie theater? Have trouble sitting still? Get moved almost to tears by a piece of music or work of art? These are signs of the kinds of intensities that can be seen in gifted children.

Polish psychologist Kazimierz Dabrowski identified five of these intensities, which he called "overexcitabilities" or "supersensitivities": Psychomotor, Sensual, Emotional, Intellectual, and Imaginational. Gifted children tend to have more than one of these intensities, although one is usually dominant.

Intense world: http://heybryan.org/docs/Intense_world_syndrome.pdf
http://heybryan.org/intense_world_syndrome.html

From: http://a-shade-of-grey.blogspot.com/200 ... utism.html

Quote:
Overall, there were significant differences (p < 0.001) between the comparison groups in both minicolumnar width (cw) and mean cell spacing (mcs). Although our supernormals did not exhibit deficits in communication or interpersonal skills the resultant minicolumnar phenotype bears similarity to that described for both autism and Asperger’s syndrom

Quote:
"Spindle cells appear to play a central role in the development of intelligent behavior and adaptive response to changing conditions and cognitive dissonance. They emerge postnatally [emphasis added] and eventually become widely connected with diverse parts of the brain, evidencing their essential contributions to the superior capacity of hominids to focus on difficult problems."

Spindle neurons are known to be found in reduced numbers in those with ASD. Perhaps they helped the neuroscientists compensate for – and even exploit the benefits of – the bias towards local processing inherent in reduced width minicolumns?

Quote:
the alleles that cause autism could have been with humanity for at least 40,000 years.

"Assuming 30 to 35 years per generation (which is conservative), there have been 1100 to 1300 generations since the two populations diverged. This presumably should have been enough time to eliminate the various alleles that cause autism from the gene pool, if they are in fact deleterious.

Obviously this has not occurred. This means that the individual alleles that in combination cause autism must individually or in lesser combinations have had a beneficial effect to compensate for the reduced reproductive rates of autistics

For the ones who don't want to read the articles:
basically the intense world syndrome explanation of Autism and Dabrowski's Overexcitabilities in gifted children can have a similar genetic source. The difference seems in the development of Brain compensatory mechanics. Basically autistic children have smaller and oversensible neurons that lead to hyperfocusing / savant ability / particular spotting / sensory issues. The difference with "gifted" brain is not here, they are the same. The difference is that while neurons dispersion in autistic brain is similar to NT dispersion, "gifted" people have a more "compacted" neuron scattering leading to a "shorter distance for long range interaction" who is impossible otherwise.

JSchoolboy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Dec 2009, 12:23 pm

Nightsun wrote:
As many of you should know by now I'm interested in both Autism and Gifted world, doing my researches I've found a bounch of interesting articles I want to share with you

Very interesting stuff. Thanks for posting!

JSB

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 12:36 pm

interesting

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 1:33 pm

Nightsun wrote:
As many of you should know by now I'm interested in both Autism and Gifted world, doing my researches I've found a bounch of interesting articles I want to share with you:

From: http://giftedkids.about.com/od/gifted10 ... excite.htm

Quote:
Does your child complain about the seams in his socks? Put her hands over her ears when the movie starts in the movie theater? Have trouble sitting still? Get moved almost to tears by a piece of music or work of art? These are signs of the kinds of intensities that can be seen in gifted children.

Polish psychologist Kazimierz Dabrowski identified five of these intensities, which he called "overexcitabilities" or "supersensitivities": Psychomotor, Sensual, Emotional, Intellectual, and Imaginational. Gifted children tend to have more than one of these intensities, although one is usually dominant.

Intense world: http://heybryan.org/docs/Intense_world_syndrome.pdf
http://heybryan.org/intense_world_syndrome.html

From: http://a-shade-of-grey.blogspot.com/200 ... utism.html

Quote:
Overall, there were significant differences (p < 0.001) between the comparison groups in both minicolumnar width (cw) and mean cell spacing (mcs). Although our supernormals did not exhibit deficits in communication or interpersonal skills the resultant minicolumnar phenotype bears similarity to that described for both autism and Asperger’s syndrom

Quote:
"Spindle cells appear to play a central role in the development of intelligent behavior and adaptive response to changing conditions and cognitive dissonance. They emerge postnatally [emphasis added] and eventually become widely connected with diverse parts of the brain, evidencing their essential contributions to the superior capacity of hominids to focus on difficult problems."

Spindle neurons are known to be found in reduced numbers in those with ASD. Perhaps they helped the neuroscientists compensate for – and even exploit the benefits of – the bias towards local processing inherent in reduced width minicolumns?

Quote:
the alleles that cause autism could have been with humanity for at least 40,000 years.

"Assuming 30 to 35 years per generation (which is conservative), there have been 1100 to 1300 generations since the two populations diverged. This presumably should have been enough time to eliminate the various alleles that cause autism from the gene pool, if they are in fact deleterious.

Obviously this has not occurred. This means that the individual alleles that in combination cause autism must individually or in lesser combinations have had a beneficial effect to compensate for the reduced reproductive rates of autistics

For the ones who don't want to read the articles:
basically the intense world syndrome explanation of Autism and Dabrowski's Overexcitabilities in gifted children can have a similar genetic source. The difference seems in the development of Brain compensatory mechanics. Basically autistic children have smaller and oversensible neurons that lead to hyperfocusing / savant ability / particular spotting / sensory issues. The difference with "gifted" brain is not here, they are the same. The difference is that while neurons dispersion in autistic brain is similar to NT dispersion, "gifted" people have a more "compacted" neuron scattering leading to a "shorter distance for long range interaction" who is impossible otherwise.

Yea I was there a few weeks ago.
What caught my attention was his theory on 'positive disentegration 'whereby an indidvidual breaks down the self and becomes 'self actualized'.
It parallels autism in that individuals don't need the other as a mirror to see oneself and mindlesly move with the 'borg' colony.

Sort of like inactivating your mirror neurons ,and the gifted are are more adept at these metamorphic stages, from what i've gleaned.

KissOfMarmaladeSky
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 3:06 pm

I have some of the OE's (emotional, imaginational, and sensual), and I'm wondering about if I'm 2e...I was diagnosed with Asperger's, and I fit a lot of the symptoms of it, as well as having inattentive ADD symptoms and anxiety.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 7:37 pm

Sincerely, I think that "Dabrowski's overexcitabilities" a bit "mumbo-jambo". The name itself (Dabrowski's overexcitabilities) sends the message that is an invention of one guy than a result of serious research.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 7:50 pm

Finder's name gets attached to a lot - Einstein's theory of relativity, Freudianism.

Whatever - does not certify or negate truth value

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 5:47 am

TPE2 wrote:
Sincerely, I think that "Dabrowski's overexcitabilities" a bit "mumbo-jambo". The name itself (Dabrowski's overexcitabilities) sends the message that is an invention of one guy than a result of serious research.

If you spend some time doing an internet research you can find out that Dabrowski's theory is the leading theory in gifted education since '90s. It's pretty common to give a theory (or law) the name of it's inventor. Also licterature calls them Dabrowski's overexcitabilities just to distinguish them from the common use, the Dabrowski's theory is called "Theory of Positive Disintegration".