Why I don't understand some aspies... (A Pseudo-Rant)

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

M_p_furo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2009, 6:35 pm

Quote:
She went so far to say that she was a "waste of oxygen". Being a very empathic person and realizing that she needed a bit of support, I told her in honesty that she was a great person and that she was fun to be around. Her response: "But you're never around me, Anneurysm"

I may be wrong, but perhaps she was being literal. You said she was fun to be around, and she wondered how you could know this if you were not around her. Maybe she thought that you didn't really know her that well.

Also, when you are depressed, you tend to be hyper-focused on the depression and not realize your social skills are lacking.

An important part of social skills is being understanding to the person and not think solely from your point of view. There are many different "spins" to the situation.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2009, 6:59 pm

Willard wrote:
anneurysm wrote:
One of the things that tends to set me apart from other aspies is that I have a good "social compass"...meaning that I have a good judgement of what to say and what not to say to others.

Just yesterday, an aspie aquaintance of mine was feeling discouraged about herself and decided to post her feelings as a facebook status. She went so far to say that she was a "waste of oxygen". Being a very empathic person and realizing that she needed a bit of support, I told her in honesty that she was a great person and that she was fun to be around. Her response: "But you're never around me, Anneurysm".

I'm very in touch with my intuition and emotions. The question is: how can I better understand and deal with people who don't speak that language? And how should I react if I am unintentionally offended?

::Ahem:::

What's wrong with this picture?

Perhaps what I meant to say was that MOST of the time I know what and what not to say. However, in these types of situations, I become utterly boggled.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2009, 7:26 pm

Thank you everyone for the responses! The suggestions about potential depression and perhaps her taking the situation literally make a lot of sense...perhaps I should give her some space and allow her to talk when she's ready.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.