Page 7 of 20 [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 20  Next

gypsyRN
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jan 2010, 2:07 pm

Great video. I hope we can see it progress into something longer.

I feel like I identify a lot with what you said in regards to it being taxing to be in social situations. Someone else (Canadian French-speaker) had said he felt a lot of his creativity in spending so much time and energy learning to "be normal". I agree with both of you.

I really resent it when people (generally the parents of an autistic child, but sometimes social workers, etc.) say, "But you can't be on the spectrum...you're funny, and you communicate your ideas well, and you don't do weird stuff with your body!" These people don't understand that we have learned to act in an acceptable way, and that it takes a lot of effort to do so. Those of us in our late 20s, early 30s and beyond...I think a lot of us seem completely normal to those who interact with us fleetingly. People forget that even though we're no longer "weird shy little geniuses", our brains are still fundamentally the same, and we still have the same issues but have learned how to deal effectively with them.

If your documentary is to progress into something feature-length in the future, perhaps consider seeking an interview with some of the members of WP with advanced degrees-- "everyday people" to supplement the Temple Grandins of the world. It will help to portray that success isn't necessarily the exception to the rule when it comes to people on the spectrum.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2010, 5:23 am

gypsyRN wrote:
If your documentary is to progress into something feature-length in the future, perhaps consider seeking an interview with some of the members of WP with advanced degrees-- "everyday people" to supplement the Temple Grandins of the world. It will help to portray that success isn't necessarily the exception to the rule when it comes to people on the spectrum.

And to add into this, people on the spectrum who are gainfully employed at all levels. Somehow autistics just can't get employed --- most of us, I mean --- in good jobs. Sigh.

paigetheoracle
Raven
Raven

15 Jan 2010, 8:57 am

We complain about something we can see no use for and praise it when we can. This applies to us as potential and explains religions attitude to the poor and even criminal (hopes of turning the useless and destructive into something useful).

Izaak
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2010, 9:52 am

Just saw it... it's erm... a little short and doesn't really SAY anything at all...

is it supposed to be 10 minutes long and not actually have a purpose?

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 10:33 pm

Is there a transcript somewhere?

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 10:59 pm

I also hope to have a transcript somewhere... Subtitles might also help...

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2010, 5:33 pm

For some reason at some parts of the film they speak VERY quietly even when I turn the volume all the way up. Is it something wrong with the film? Because only SOME parts are so quiet; others are quite loud.

HappyComfort
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Feb 2010, 3:33 am

A movie about the life of Temple Grandin will be on, on Saturday the 6th , at least in the Northern California area that has ATT cable. If anyone is interested. I hope to see it.

zombified
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Feb 2010, 7:36 pm

thank you so much!! ! ive never been able to get anyone except my daughter to understand how i feel.

softness
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Feb 2010, 2:20 pm

Hi I'm Softness. I just saw doc 1. I thought it was cool. Althought i though the music was alittle sca4ry.. I was diagnosed with autism @ age 3. I am now 32 years old with a five year old little girl with autism. I can only talk on the phone. But in person I am mute. I twrit4e alot better than I talk. It is good 4 me 2 cc other people like me. As I live in a plase where I dont get talk 2 people like me and the Nts want nothing 2 do with me. We do have a group in my city that meets once a month. I just started going last month. So I am glad that u put this Doc up here. Thank u.

TheReasonWhyGuy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Feb 2010, 10:51 pm

Amazing documentary :D

a little too short though :(

AndyG
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Feb 2010, 11:41 pm

That is great!!

I posted a link in Facebook, with my comment "Some of this video is about me".

alex
Developer
Developer

09 Feb 2010, 8:07 am

AndyG wrote:
That is great!!

I posted a link in Facebook, with my comment "Some of this video is about me".

thanks!

maleb
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Feb 2010, 7:42 pm

great work, love the video! Especially the last part of what I'm guessing was you as a kid, reminded me of me when MTV first aired Metallica's "One'

matrixluver
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Feb 2010, 10:27 pm

wonderful resource over and over again with my client's families. Thank you so much for this wonderful documentary.

PJRomulan
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Feb 2010, 11:57 pm

I really liked this doc I've experienced the same dilemma as you have and I feel that my nephew is going to go through the same scenario unfortunately.