Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

captain mills
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Dec 2015, 2:30 pm

One of the things I'm bad at is recognising feelings/emotions in myself. For years I had very strange physical symptoms and had no idea they were to do with anxiety.

Mine include:
- Butterflies in my stomach (more obviously to do with anxiety than some of the others)
- Tingly/itchy scalp
- Tight throat
- Achy jaw
- Breathless
- Can't eat
- Hot and cold

Do you experience anxiety?
Do you have any physical symptoms that tell you you're feeling anxious? Or does your brain just tell you you're anxious?

Female, twenties, UK, recently diagnosed Aspie

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2015, 2:40 pm

- Racing heart
- Feeling sick
- Shivering or feeling hot

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2015, 3:31 pm

I clench my jaw, I tense my entire body. But I do not consider this anxiety unless I have an accompanying emotion. I might not notice any of these things even though I'll be experiencing them (as noted by when I manage to note what I'm feeling.)

Poor motivation

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2015, 6:09 pm

Yes. Clinching jaws, pulling head down between shoulders, tight throat, flying pains all over, hot and cold with tingling sensations in skin - not pleasant.
I can cry by the word, anxiety, when I feel like that, but fluoxetine (like fontex) helps. It works on both depression and to a degree on anxiety, so I´m non-depressed and not so anxious.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

27 Dec 2015, 9:41 pm

Before I started taking Buspar I had panic attacks which would make me feel restless & make me take cr@ps alot. Buspar is approved for the physical symptoms of anxiety but it helps me with the mental 1s too. I like how it's not an antidepressant or a benzo.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2015, 10:49 pm

I am not good with internal signals, but I was a nervous sweater. :mrgreen: I used to layer tank tops with outer shirts to try to make it less noticeable. Without meds, I seem to constantly function on Defcon 5.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2015, 11:21 pm

Sounds like you're alexithymic too.
Anxiety as far as I can understand it physically manifests as an animal state of alertness for me. What I call threat response. Your brain recognises a threat (even if there isn't one per se, which is where things get into murky emotional territory I don't understand) and readies your body quickly for fight or flight. Often my body reacts in one of these before I can even think about "wow, this must be making me anxious." It just does it. Run into the flat, close the door quickly and silently, don't move and don't turn the lights on until sound cues diminish, for example.
I also notice more stimming when I'm anxious. I don't feel anything, but I physically cannot stop with the stimming unless I am directly focusing on nothing but stopping. Teeth are often clenched in this case too. Also can't sleep when anxious, because of the alertness, but also mind spinning into obsessive things that usually have nothing to do with whatever I'm anxious about.

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a village in La Mancha whose name I cannot recall

29 Dec 2015, 6:40 am

Can't focus, face hurts and I start to pace around.

Not Diagnosed and Not Sure

InsomniaGrl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2015, 7:06 am

MjrMajorMajor wrote:
I am not good with internal signals, but I was a nervous sweater. :mrgreen: I used to layer tank tops with outer shirts to try to make it less noticeable. Without meds, I seem to constantly function on Defcon 5.

Haha Defcon 5, yeah i can relate to that.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2015, 7:38 am

I notice my emoticons, but Only can identify them when they're extremely strong (Example, Anger or Frustration when having a meltdown). I Can identify my anxiety pretty well, but for a while. I didn't know what to call it.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2015, 11:47 am

I am undergoing speech and swallow therapy to relearn how to speak after tongue reconstruction surgery. One thing they identified impending progress is clinching jaw. They have been using warm to hot compresses to loosen things up and this has been somewhat helpful.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a village in La Mancha whose name I cannot recall

29 Dec 2015, 1:25 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I am undergoing speech and swallow therapy to relearn how to speak after tongue reconstruction surgery. One thing they identified impending progress is clinching jaw. They have been using warm to hot compresses to loosen things up and this has been somewhat helpful.

That sounds like really tough work, good luck

Not Diagnosed and Not Sure