Thought experiment: would you mind stepping up in severity?

Page 2 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 4:24 pm

Whisper wrote:
I wouldn't be me if I was any other way, so the question seems irrational. It's the same as when people tell me I'd 'feel differently about a situation if I were born there'. If I were born somewhere else, I'd have grown up with different values, ideas and influences, and be a completely different person as a result.

So, in answer to the question, I doubt I would still be 'me' to be more severe in the first place. I would be a person who is similar to me in many respects, but more severe.

Yay, pedantry! But there is meaning in there somewhere, I promise.

now THAT is something I have pondered a great deal my entire life.. wishing I were other people and then realizing that if I were someone else, I wouldn't be me, so the wish was irrelevant. Never did figure the whole thing out, though.

LipstickKiller
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Dec 2009, 4:41 pm

Although the queston is theoretically interesting, I can't really answer.I'm a mother. Being lower functioning would make it harder on me and I would be less capable. I often feel like being more autistic, in the sense of indulging in certain behaviors, but I force myself out of it for my children.

I guess my answer goes: if it was only me, I could face being more severe. But since my life and state directly impacts my children, whom I love and am ultimately responsible for, I couldn't afford it.

I do daydream of a slightly more autistic reality though. This doesn't feel entirely natural.

LipstickKiller
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Dec 2009, 4:42 pm

Although the queston is theoretically interesting, I can't really answer.I'm a mother. Being lower functioning would make it harder on me and I would be less capable. I often feel like being more autistic, in the sense of indulging in certain behaviors, but I force myself out of it for my children.

I guess my answer goes: if it was only me, I could face being more severe. But since my life and state directly impacts my children, whom I love and am ultimately responsible for, I couldn't afford it.

I do daydream of a slightly more autistic reality though. This doesn't feel entirely natural.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 4:58 pm

Autie up topic

Not if I had to surrender my rapier wit. :lol:

(I am already physically low functioning, what with my co-existing conditions.)

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

riverspark
Toucan
Toucan

18 Dec 2009, 10:46 pm

It might be easier for me if I could move either a little higher or a little lower on the spectrum. As I posted in another thread:

"I can pass for NT well enough when I put a ton of effort into it (which has exacerbated my anxiety disorder and has led to my recent burnout, as I've mentioned in other posts). Sometimes I wish I were lower-functioning, because some people don't believe that I am on the spectrum."

Being a little more obviously autistic might mean people would cut me a little more slack and not get angry or exasperated when I screw up socially or when I have to decline an invitation somewhere because I'm just too peopled-out to handle any more interaction. On the other hand, being less autistic might mean that I could go more places and do more things without getting exhausted so easily.

I am classified with "moderate" AS (as opposed to mild or severe). It truly sucks to be so close and yet so far from where I wish I could be. But as the great philosopher Popeye once said, "I am what I am," so I just keep working on ways to accept myself and just be the best ME that I can be!

riverspark
Toucan
Toucan

18 Dec 2009, 10:50 pm

One more thing: It would also be easier if my intellect more closely matched my degree of AS, whether that meant keeping the autism level I have now and not being as smart, or keeping the same IQ and being higher on the spectrum (or even NT). This feeling of my mind being trapped inside itself is sometimes absolutely intolerable.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 10:57 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
I like living on my own, being able to take care of myself and talk to people and be out on my own. I won't be able to do that if I were severely autistic. I wouldn't have been married. I might have been in a group home instead or still be with my parents.

I know one LFA online who does live on her own but I still wouldn't want to live like that. She has caregivers.

That is not what the OP said though. =/

RockDrummer616
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 11:01 pm

I would probably like it better, since I wouldn't care that I don't have any friends.

18 Dec 2009, 11:12 pm

Warsie wrote:
Spokane_Girl wrote:
I like living on my own, being able to take care of myself and talk to people and be out on my own. I won't be able to do that if I were severely autistic. I wouldn't have been married. I might have been in a group home instead or still be with my parents.

I know one LFA online who does live on her own but I still wouldn't want to live like that. She has caregivers.

That is not what the OP said though. =/

He asked if we would mind having more and I say no and listed my reason why.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 11:44 pm

I am sure my family would not be able to afford a group home, and I would end up having to live with my parents...and as much as I love my parents, the idea does not really appeal to me...I won't go into the reasons why..
As it stands, with what faculties I have and what with the cost of living is today...that would be one of my main options if I didn't have SHFL and I was not lower on the spectrum.

visnofskygirl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2009, 12:09 am

Never really cared about it. I know myself and those labels won't affect me. BTW, I got accused of having paranoid schizophrenia by my classmates because of talking to myself oftentimes.

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2009, 6:08 am

Psygirl6 wrote:
poopylungstuffing wrote:

If got to live in a group home, where all I did was sew sock creatures and sing and play the ukulele all day...(provided that an increase in severity would not diminish my capacity to do those things)...then maybe it would not be so bad....

Trust me, I live in a residence and it is the opposite. They do not let you focus on your obsessions, even the lower functioning clients in the more stricter residences are not allowed to either. The staff make them do other things and do anything to get them "out of their obsessions." I no longer go to a day program, but when I was there, they had a high functioning woman who just wanted to knit all day. She made these beautiful quilts and could build a huge, pretty quilt in less than an hour. Even though the program has an art center, but she was only allowed to do it for only a half hour only 1x a day. The staff wanted her to do other things,like do piecework jobs and other hobbies, and she would get so mad and frustrated. The staff had to practically restrain her. It was horrible. If she try to sit there and quilt all day, the staff would disciple her, yell at her, and they would have to remove her stuff physically. She of course decided to leave that place. I see why. So, I would never want to be more autistic or any lower functioning because no matter how fun someone might think it is to be less responsible or be allowed to do more obsessions, it is the opposite. You are forced away from it. At least being high functioning, you can avoid those forced situations, and could do you obsessions anytime you want. Yeah you may end up having to go to work or have responsibility, but at least you could d o an obsession in a free time and not get penalized for it. Free time in these places, there hardly is none. It is just about stupid programs, and even if there is free time, the staff want everyone to do something more social and less obsession. If anything, you would only get an hour for it.
Trust me, i used to have that same thinking about wanting to be lower functioning and how everyone has it better than me. But since I went back to school, and got staff off my back, I got my obsessions back, in full swing, and they even help me survive my schooling, a break that help relieve the stress. Which is why I am more happier and doing better going to school, because I have more time and freedom for the obsessions.
in here its more free they aint forcing anyone to do anything, only responsibility for me is finish school even it feels hard....i been having problems most of my school years which prevent me to fully pursue it to get top grades(long story) anyway i cant really complain ^^ some of staff never remember i have sensory issues with ligth touch so NEVER touch to my back,shoulders, neck area with out warning...unless u want black eye on best case :evil: other then that i love going to work because i can have more money most of companies how ever dont take u if u are student

yah i wouldnt chance it to more autism at least> but less yes

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2009, 9:33 am

Well geeze! :? That makes no sense at all! If a lower-functioning person has a creative obsession, then in theory and with some direction and assistance, they could possibly use it to help earn their living...that's insane that they would stifle people's talent like that...what are they trying to do...completely crush their spirit?

My point was that I would only opt to be "lower-functioning" if I were in an imaginary ideal scenario..where I would be able to nurture my obsessions...but that would be contingent on my still being able to have my obsessions..

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2009, 10:33 am

Definitely not. I'm already so incredibly limited in my ability to function "normally" that being any worse would be absolutely terrible. Though it doesn't seem, or feel like it, I've made some pretty great strides the past 3-5 years or so & I wouldn't want to go back to that level or worse. I can barely handle life now.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2009, 11:49 am

well a slight inclination of the cranium is as adequate as a spasmodic movement of one optic directed toward an equine quadruped devoid of it's visionary capacity.

(a nod is as good as a wink to a blind mule)

ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2010, 7:06 pm

No.