Trouble knowing I am feeling an emotion?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

melby1980
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Dec 2009, 2:14 am

Ok, so I am not diagnosed, but was referred here.

I have difficulty knowing when I am feeling an emotion. I know I don't feel "well" kind of a strange heavy or nauseous feeling sometimes, but other times nothing at all until I blow up or breakdown. I scored quite high on the "quizzes" I have taken.

My emotional difficulties have wreaked havoc with any and every relationship.

I love being alone and always have, is this the norm for Aspergers?

A lot of what I have read (or seen) hits home so much with me it's scary.

How can I teach myself to "feel" an emotion lol.

I don't know maybe I am being silly.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 2:23 am

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 2:32 am

As I understand it, Aspies tend to approach people to try and form friendships, whereas HFAs prefer being alone and don't tend to care about friends. Overall, though, Asperger's and HFA are very similar, to the point that some people use them interchangeably.

I have had trouble recognizing when I'm stressed, sad, etc. I only am able to recognize it when it's in the extreme. Even then, I sometimes misinterpret it. Usually, I try and mimic the emotion I think I'm supposed to feel at something, which has caused me to be not very well liked at times, or for people to misjudge me.

I don't know how one would go about gettin more emotional awareness. Personally, I don't care. I like the fact that I am normally dispassionate. I like the fact that it helps me to not take the Rashomon Effect to the extreme, like far too many people do.

ilivinamushroom
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Dec 2009, 3:03 am

I am a diagnosed aspie and generally whenever i am in a situation that others would express immediate emotion I have a delayed reaction physical response but don't actually feel the emotion . I believe this happens with other aspies too and agree with the previous post differentiation of aspergers and HFA I want to make friends but dont know what to do when I find one LOL. This is a hard road but an amazing and empowering one too once you realize you are who you are and there is nothing wrong with that and begin working toward learning coping techniques instead of simply trying to live up to others expectations its quite liberating.