Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Elementary_Physics
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jan 2010, 12:06 am

I haven't heard of a Weighted Blanket until just tonight - I did some research, and I found it is used for Autistism and sensory issues. How does this work, or feel? Do you have one, if so, what affects does it have on you? I have problems getting to sleep, so I may think of investing in one.

Also, where are they sold, and about how much do they cost?

blastoff
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jan 2010, 12:15 am

Dreamcatcher makes them. Mine is wonderful. I have no idea how it works, but I know it feels good.

iniudan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jan 2010, 12:17 am

Not something for me I sleep with 1 blanket most of the time, but I am someone who move a lot while trying to sleep so too many blanket or heavy one just get in my way.

Elementary_Physics
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jan 2010, 12:18 am

blastoff wrote:
Dreamcatcher makes them. Mine is wonderful. I have no idea how it works, but I know it feels good.

Yeah - I know about DreamCatcher. I looked at their prices - Pretty expensive.

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 12:28 am

I have a 30-lb one with a snake design on it that i got from Dreamcatcher(google "dreamcatcher weighted blankets," they are very good quality and the owner is very helpful with any questions you have). I love it, it's soooo relaxing. To me it has a sort of calming effect and makes me feel more secure than a regular blanket, so my mind will go into sleep mode a lot easier. Even when i'm not sleeping and just sitting around the house it's nice to cover up with it to relax. Not all autistics like pressure, so it just depends what you think will make you comfortable... But if you like things like your pets laying on you or getting wrapped in that lead thing at the dentist, then i highly recommend them!

Elementary_Physics
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jan 2010, 12:38 am

ColdBlooded wrote:
But if you like things like your pets laying on you or getting wrapped in that lead thing at the dentist, then i highly recommend them!

Haha! Oh yes- As a kid I would insist that my German Shepherd Eva sleep directly on top of me!

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 1:02 am

Yeah, i love when my dogs all pile on top of me.. Then it kind of annoys me when they hop off. lol. A weighted blanket would probably be well worth the money for you, i know mine was :D

Elementary_Physics
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jan 2010, 1:13 am

ColdBlooded wrote:
Yeah, i love when my dogs all pile on top of me.. Then it kind of annoys me when they hop off. lol. A weighted blanket would probably be well worth the money for you, i know mine was :D

Maybe when I get a job, I will invest in one. All I have right now is a flimsy Chihuahua, and he doesn't even like sleeping on people.

bonuspoints
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Washington state - *Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?*

02 Jan 2010, 1:35 am

I bought my first one a few months ago, it is 15 pounds, I think. I have always liked a lot of weight on me when I sleep, but too many blankets cause me to overheat. This one works well, though I could probably go a bit heavier, I still have four other blankets on. One is a fleece blanket that I place between me and the weighted one. The stones in the weighted blanket have a cooling effect that I am sure I will appreciate in the summer. I got mine online for around $130 from a site called salt of the earth. Their blankets tend to focus the weight in the mid-upper part of the blanket. I think this feature would be good for those who don't move around a lot, unfortunately I do, so I am constantly having to reposition the blanket. For the most part, I believe it will be a good investment.

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. - Oscar Wilde

Moony
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jan 2010, 4:03 am

I don't know what a weighted blanket feels like, but if it would help me sleep, I'll buy one.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 11:39 am

I don't use a weighted blanket, but I do sleep with a buckwheat pillow on my face...

I would like to try one out sometime....

I am often very restless and only sleep in spurts...

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 1:13 pm

Is it possible to make a weighted blanket?

I am adept with a sewing machine (have made several quilts, altered a lot of clothing, and made some for myself) and I wonder whether this might be a way to overcome the cost issue.

I have a heavy feather comforter that I use during the winter; but during the summer, it's impossible to use it and I don't sleep as well.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 1:34 pm

Someone with no sewing skills has made their own weighted blanket and gives the instructions here.

http://www.sensory-processing-disorder. ... anket.html

riverspark
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jan 2010, 7:22 pm

I've got a Dreamcatcher weighted blanket and it has really helped me to feel safe, secure, and calm while I'm away at school. I like to put a microplush (not microfleece) blanket underneath it. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm...

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 7:28 pm

I have one from Aforadable Weighted Blankets and can't sleep without it. I should have gotten one years ago.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 8:35 pm

I would love to get one.