Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 5:39 pm

Sometimes I find looking at suddenly moving objects painful - it is like my brain is being shocked or jarred. This also happens if something moves suddenly on the TV sometimes - it makes me close my eyes and wince in pain briefly.

Is this related to Aspergers / autism at all or do NT's get this too?

This sort of over sensitivity to sudden movement normally lasts a few days then is gone again.

Another symptom that occurs at the same time is feeling the same jarring pain in my head when people talk to me if I'm reading something. The pain is physical and makes me shut my eyes momentarily to reduce sensory input. Sometimes I have to tell people to stop talking to me because the sound of their voice is hurting me... not easy to explain to people either without them taking offence.

I don't cope well trying to concentrate while there are background noises or conversation anyway, but sometimes it is actually painful.

Anyone else? Aspergers / autism related or not?

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 5:44 pm

I've had that occasionally and I have HFA technically

Michhsta
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 6:46 pm

Totally understand you on this one.......

It has become worse since my inner ears where damaged due to Gentamicin whilst in hopsital a few years ago. Gentamicin is a broad spectrum, very strong anti-biotic. I cannot handle certain frequencies relating to sound.

Double whammy if you will......

Not sure about AS/Autism relation.......could be. I have had it all my life to some degree.

Mics

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 6:47 pm

Well, bright light does that to me, like sunlight on a sunny day; but that is universal to people with photophobia.

OP, have you mentioned this to your doctor? It is possible that this sort of sensitivity tied to your pain receptors could be a symptom of something-or-other, because I have heard of it being connected to migraines and if it's connected to that it could be some neurological oddity that the doctor knows about, and might be able to offer advice/treatment for.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

TheSpecialKid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jan 2010, 8:15 pm

Never heard of the first one, but the second one is indeed true to me too.