does anybody look at mouthes instead of eyes?

Page 4 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2010, 9:23 pm

Noses are fascinating. Sometimes I look at eyes. Sometimes I even enjoy it, though I derive nothing more from it than what I would derive from looking at a pair of marbles. But I would enjoy looking at a pair of marbles sometimes, too, so that's not to say that I'm just doing it to please the NTs. When I'm pleasing the NTs, I look at their forehead or nose or the general direction of their eyes or forehead, sometimes right next to their head.

Mouths are cool too; they're the main part of facial expression that I understand. But I really, really like to look at people's noses and notice all the distinguishing features. But I hate the word nose. Also nostrils. Gack, those are awful words! I note that my fascination with noses is somewhat similar to my fascination with toilet paper. Why must everyone buy the same kind over and over? Some variety would be nice!

NOT A DOCTOR

harobed
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Sep 2010, 9:31 pm

I said mouths - a type of lip reading. I also said breasts - to which no one responded, but it's true, simply because it's a safe zone as long as the speaker doesn't mind.

I can't do eyes and really have to force that. It makes me so uncomfortable - it's so intense and is as if they're trying to look in my soul and I don't want that. :roll:

H.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2010, 9:45 pm

I try to look at their mouth so it appears I am looking at their eyes, but I usually end up looking elsewhere. If I'm concentrating really hard it's hard to look at their face at all.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2010, 10:58 pm

bee33 wrote:
I remember reading about a test that showed that autistic people look at mouths when they are watching a movie or TV instead of the eyes. I know I do that. If I try to look at the characters' eyes I find it's more difficult for me to follow what they are saying. I try to look at the eyes consciously now when I watch TV, and I have found that some actors are more attractive than I thought, because they have particularly lovely eyes, or that in some cases their expressions are more intense than I had realized when I was only looking at their mouths.

I read that study! If I recall, it found that people with autism look at the actors' mouths or the cheek area near the mouth. I do the same, but I usually look at the corner of a person's mouth or the lower part of their cheek. I also find it very uncomfortable when a film shows a close-up of a person's eyes and there is nowhere else to look.

It's a difficult thing to correct. I am constantly forgetting to look at coworkers' eyes when I greet them because the interaction is usually too quick for me to have the time to remember to do so. I've read that eye contact is important when it comes to dating/making romantic connections, so I try to remember to look into a man's eyes on the rare occasion I am interested in one. Unfortunately, I invariably project my own feelings and think, "If I were him, I wouldn't appreciate someone trying to look me in the eye so much. Maybe I'm making him uncomfortable."

I've also always found the saying "the eyes are the window to the soul" to be very disturbing. When I look in a person's eyes, I don't see anything other than the eyes themselves. It leads me to wonder if my eyes look empty to other people as well or if they can really see something about me when they look into them. I find either possibility to be disconcerting in its own way.

jpfudgeworth
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Sep 2010, 2:05 am

I usually avoid eye contact by looking at another part of someones face but even that makes me a little nervous because some people have said things like, "do I have something in my teeth?"

ScottyN
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Sep 2010, 4:02 am

Mostly, I do avoid eye contact. But when I don't, I tend to glare at people, which comes off negatively. So I seem to be conditioned to avoid eye contact, which is natural for me, anyways.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 12:07 pm

I almost invariably look at people's mouths.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 12:18 pm

If I can look at the person's face at all, I look at the mouth

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 7:51 pm

I watch mouths, especially if there's any extra noise. Otherwise I won't get what they're saying.

Cicely
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 10:27 pm

I have learned to make pretty good eye contact, as long as there isn't too much other sensory stuff going on (in which case I can't focus on anything for more than a second). I'm naturally inclined to look at the person's mouth when they're talking, since that's the source of the sound, and at some point in the distance when I'm talking. I've more or less trained myself out of that. But if I've just met whoever I'm talking to, I make it a point to look at their nose for a while. For some reason noses are the facial feature I remember most, and I pay attention them so I can identify the person later.

tonin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Sep 2010, 11:11 pm

If I'm listening to someone I'm close to or care about I tend to look only at their mouth. A stranger, associate, work collegue or a threat I maintain unbroken eye contact. A conversation I have no real commitment too, uninterested, I'll look at mouths, noses, cheeks, over their shoulders, my navel, hands, clocks, book shelf, paperwork on desks, safety posters, etc, but not in their eye.

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2010, 1:00 pm

I typically can't look at faces at all. I focus on hands/whatever the person is doing if they're showing me something.

SerendipityG3A
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Sep 2010, 8:02 pm

I tend to look at people's nose or mouth if I must pretend to look at their eyes, but if I'm with people who know me, I don't bother. They know I'm paying attention to them when I'm looking away at the wall or window or whatever. If I accidentally make eye contact, it's like their eyes are grapples that fire into my eyes and lock me into a stare that sucks all my awareness of my surroundings, conversation, and the passage of time out of me, and I'm stunned until some external force breaks our eye contact. I think I even stop breathing when that happens. It's more than an aversion to eyes for me. It's terrifying. When I was little, I used to have nightmares about eyes. I'm deaf though, so looking at mouths when I'm talking with people who don't sign is helpful to me in determining what they're saying.

Claire_Louise
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Sep 2010, 8:11 pm

[/quote]
Teeth are quite interesting, and all the little lines around the mouth and lips. :P
[/quote]

I find mouthes and teeth fascinating :)

Flyingladder
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Sep 2010, 8:12 pm

I try to look people in the eyes but end up looking at their forehead, nose, mouth, neck, behind them, square in the middle of the eyes.

Or I guess I look at peoples chests a lot by accident which makes my s.o laugh and accuse me of checking out other women.

Guitar_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 6:21 am

I tend to look at the mouth by habit. But I try to look between the eyes since eye contact makes me uncomfortable.