Page 3 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2006, 12:48 pm

odeon wrote:
Didn't he mention having Tourette, BTW?

Not sure about the Tourette's, though with AS it wouldn't be at all surprising.

neptunevsmars wrote:
I never knew that. When you say, "one of the only," do you mean that anyone else is "out?"

He's the only one I know of, though there's bound to be some others. Like possibly Steven Spielberg and I think someone once upon a time mentioned possibly Keanu Reeves...

Dan Akroyd is the only Aspie I know of out in Hollywood "officially" as opposed to just rumors though.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

neptunevsmars
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2006, 9:52 pm

Sophist wrote:
He's the only one I know of, though there's bound to be some others. Like possibly Steven Spielberg and I think someone once upon a time mentioned possibly Keanu Reeves...

Dan Akroyd is the only Aspie I know of out in Hollywood "officially" as opposed to just rumors though.

There are definitely bound to be some others, in a tough industry where it takes such single-minded determination to succeed. The problem is that there's no way of knowing how many major stars in any given field have AS when the sad reality is that few will ever be diagnosed when they're at the top of their game. That's not meant to denigrate any of us, and certainly not to denigrate Dan Aykroyd who I remember as a fine actor, and am curious as to why we don't hear of him any more. Certainly I have a great deal of respect for the fact that he came out about AS when it's not exactly a cause celebre in Hollywood and therefore not likely to win him any publicity or revive his career. This indicates to me that his greater motive in going public was raising awareness of AS. Gotta love him for that. :D But when someone's AS traits have more likely been an asset than a liability in their hugely successful career, they're not likely to seek professional help and get diagnosed with some "syndrome." Especially when any of their interpersonal shortcomings are just written off as "artistic temperament"...or just having a huge ego. :roll:

You got to ask for it

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2006, 9:56 pm

And I just enjoyed watching Ghostbusters 2 again the other day. :)

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

neptunevsmars
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2006, 11:45 pm

Sophist wrote:

I saw it in 1989 but barely remember it. For a film with Bill Murray, that's shocking... :oops:

You got to ask for it

odeon
Toucan
Toucan

20 Mar 2006, 4:38 am

Sophist wrote:

Now, that is just sick, Sophist. :wink:

We had that film run at our theatre for way too long. I loved the first one and hated the second.

odeon
Toucan
Toucan

20 Mar 2006, 4:43 am

neptunevsmars wrote:
I saw it in 1989 but barely remember it. For a film with Bill Murray, that's shocking... :oops:

He is allowed to make a bad film every now and then, for as long as there is "Groundhog Day" to return to.

neptunevsmars
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2006, 6:24 am

odeon wrote:
He is allowed to make a bad film every now and then, for as long as there is "Groundhog Day" to return to.

Likewise, Broken Flowers makes up for The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou...so his career is clearly going in a cycle. It'll be a long time before he ever tops Lost In Translation though.

You got to ask for it

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2006, 6:25 pm

odeon wrote:
Sophist wrote:

Now, that is just sick, Sophist. :wink:

We had that film run at our theatre for way too long. I loved the first one and hated the second.

Hey... I liked both of 'em. Actually, I tend to prefer the second one... :P

I especially love it when the Titanic finally arrives, hehehe.

odeon
Toucan
Toucan

21 Mar 2006, 3:13 am

I'll admit that the film has it good sides. You have no idea what such a film will do to an unsuspecting projectionist, however. 8O

(Now, if you really want to get me going, let's talk about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3... :P )

neptunevsmars
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2006, 8:19 am

odeon wrote:
(Now, if you really want to get me going, let's talk about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3... :P )

8O They actually made that many???

(Says he who saw all seven installments of Police Academy :oops: )

You got to ask for it

odeon
Toucan
Toucan

21 Mar 2006, 10:11 am

neptunevsmars wrote:
odeon wrote:

8O They actually made that many???

They did. Oh, the horror, the horror...!

andy1976uk
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2007, 8:16 am

oatwillie wrote:
Bill Gates certainly does ROCK, with regard to his charity work.

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=0qNVe024RvI[/youtube]

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2007, 9:39 am

Zac wrote:
Laz wrote:
Bill is part of the forces of darkness.

Disagreed. He's an entrepeneur who has lifted billions out of poverty by driving a market for cheaper computers. Now children in the third world have little computers in their hands because PCs have become so inexpensive to produce and distribute. All that progress is thanks to people like Bill Gates.

*******WRONG*******! WHERE do people get this garbage!????????

First of all, he had a major partner( PAUL ALLEN) that may have had more to do with M/S than HE did! He did NOT drive a market for cheaper computers! He HELPED to support a market for more expensive ones! In fact, he was one of the key participants in a conspiracy to try to destroy the IBM compatible market(Whose success IN SPITE of Ashton Tate, M/S, and IBM cut computer prices by 80% or more!) If not for AWARD, MTI, and phoenix, they might have won!

Those that don't believe the conspiracy "theory", just THINK BACK! Remember all the people "in the know" that went to computer shows with flight simulator(M/S) and DBASE(ashton tate)? This may even have started because of M/S earlier forays into similar garbage to tie their CP/M software for the apple to their CP/M card! That was ESPECIALLY bad because CP/M software is SUPPOSED to run on any CP/M system!

You see, IBM, from what I heard, used the INTEL reference platform for their computer. That meant they controlled NOTHING but the BIOS! They got M/S and ASHTON TATE to tie into their COPYRIGHTED BIOS! Once the BIOS companies got past that, IBMs stranglehold practically vanished.

Name ONE thing he did to reduce the price of any computers! Just ONE! COMPUTER HARDWARE? They created an inferior coprocessor for the APPLE II! I was selling one that was FAR better WITH SOFTWARE for half their price! PERIPHERALS? They encouraged companies to charge the SAME for lobotimized peripherals whose only purpose was to drive the market for windows! MICE/KEYBOARDS? Frankly, they came out with higher priced ones as soon as the average cost went down. SOFTWARE? Outside of basic, they were all more expensive and originally INFERIOR! OS? I'll let you know when they come out with a decent one. MS/DOS was a KNOCKOFF of CP/M, Windows 1998/ME and below were environments. Win NT/200X/XP were lousy attempts.

BESIDES, REMEMBER! Most of that stuff is associated with BG ONLY because it was created by people that worked for BGs company. I saw some say he did this singlehanded. He was NEVER the only one.

BG did act kind of autistic, but I doubt he has AS. Thomas Jefferson acted just like I did when I was a kid! I don't know about his personal life, or development, but he was an inventor with a passion to do things his own way. You never know what a person like that might have done today. Einstein is perhaps the first popular Genius where we could see there was a difference, etc... His life also showed some autistic qualities.

Steve

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2007, 10:16 am

DrizzleMan wrote:
I don't know whether any of you are familiar with the petals around a rose game, but apparently Bill Gates solved it by memorising most of the combinations.

AW, THAT wasn't too hard! After 10 corret rolls it says:

Congratulations! We have another Potentate of the Rose.

:D

What?!?!? Not even a coupon for a candybar!? :evil:

Steve

gregrob
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Jan 2008, 10:23 am

Where'd you hear about Spielberg going public with his Asperger's? If there's an article about it on the web, please point it out to me.

gregrob
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Jan 2008, 10:31 am

Mitchell seems to be trying to send the message that it's impossible for people with Asperger to be successful and if they're not like him in every single way, they couldn't have Asperger. I do sympathize with his bitterness over not succeeding as much as he would have liked to, but he forgets that no all people with Asperger are exactly the same or have the same traits. Also, I think his attempts to undiagnose Bill Gates are really like grasping at straws. No matter how endlessly busy a person is, no normal person is going to neglect hygiene. A shower takes only a few minutes! If Gates' rocking is related to being overtly tired, why did it start in toddlerhood? And try to prove that the paper diagnosing Gates with Asperger doesn't really exist. Gates himself likely prevented it from being viewed publicly. While Gates has never admitted to have Asperger, if he doesn't have it, why doesn't he deny it? Jonathan, wake up and smell the coffee!