Page 5 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 11:55 am

I can only speak from personal experience, and I cannot believe Einstein (or anyone else) is more clueless about women than I am, yet I've apparently had a disproportionate number of partners. I don't know WHY, I don't consider myself to be particularly attractive. Or at all, frankly. And if his partners were also on the spectrum, I would think the point would be moot. I think we tend to be attracted to each other.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 7:11 pm

Johnathan Mitchell- it's nice to see your contribution to this thread, and welcome to WP. I have long since given up on trying to posthumously diagnose famous individuals with Asperger's, as obviously it is impossible to know one way or the other.
I was the one who stated that you had published some writings; however, my source of that information was the introduction to your article and I was unaware that all of that was solely internet-based. However, I still think you are underestimating your success. The vast majority of NTs never complete a college degree, and doing so is a fairly significant accomplishment, especially if you had some difficulties that were never addressed. Also, not every NT is successful in work or relationships. In my view (which could very well be inaccurate as I do not know you personally) you seemed to be comparing yourself to an unrealistic and nonexistent ideal. As far as your comments about Gates' displaying good hygiene when he needs to... that's true of me as well, and for the record I will say now that I AM autistic, and officially diagnosed at that. And I had some speech delay, but was still dxed as Asperger's. So talking a bit late doesn't necessarily preclude an Asperger's classification in my view (if so, it doesn't matter much because HFA and AS look more or less identical in adults).
My main objection to your article was your consistently negative portrayal of autism/Asperger's syndrome. I do not believe Asperger's has hampered me in any way; in fact I think I have benefited from it significantly in the academic realm. Autism does not doom one to a life of misery and failure, and I didn't agree with how your article portrayed autistics as pathetic wannabes who couldn't do anything for themselves and tried to make themselves feel better by comparing themselves to Einstein.