one way to tell if you have autism or not.

Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

AnAutisticMind
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Jan 2010, 3:01 pm

has anyone really looked at video of themselves when you were around 3 or 4 yrs old....this is a good way to determine some things

unfortunately i am 50 yrs old and no videos exist of me at that time :(

but i was the one running endlessley in circles..i was the one who played alone and wanted non one around me.....i was the one who acted crazy and beligerent, lol

btw, could someone help me pull an old thread i made about 5 months ago or so...i am not computer literate and cant seem to pull an old post...it is titled,"symptoms of aspergers well defined"...i have been away for awhile and would like to finish it

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 3:09 pm

I have never seen any videos of myself from that era. All I have is photographs...

I look like a normal stoic little (boy) until around age 7 when I start looking more disturbed...that was when school became more stressful and kids became meaner....and my various delays became more obvious.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 3:23 pm

According to my parents, I was always rather distant. No vids exist though, mainly because cameras were expensive even as recently as when I was a kid. Now, if you want nekkid-baby-in-tub pics, I'm your guy. There's an entire ablum somewhere dedicated to just me, nekked, in the tub. Over two years. With the same exact facial expression.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

millie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 3:25 pm

AnAutisticMind wrote:
has anyone really looked at video of themselves when you were around 3 or 4 yrs old....this is a good way to determine some things

unfortunately i am 50 yrs old and no videos exist of me at that time :(

but i was the one running endlessley in circles..i was the one who played alone and wanted non one around me.....i was the one who acted crazy and beligerent, lol

btw, could someone help me pull an old thread i made about 5 months ago or so...i am not computer literate and cant seem to pull an old post...it is titled,"symptoms of aspergers well defined"...i have been away for awhile and would like to finish it

Hello AnAutisticMInd

Depending on severity of the ASD, it can show up anywhere in childhood. My nephew showed clear indications of an ASD at two and three and even earlier (to his mother.)
In my case, the developmental issues became more apparent at around 8 or 9.The gap between me and others became more apparent then, and I became rebellious and problematic in my behaviour. (oppositionally defiant.) By age 11 I was lost socially and emotionally and throughout my teens things got even worse.

However, like Poopylungstuffing, prior to 9 people assumed I was a boy and not a girl as my behaviour was very active and I switched from ON to OFF with no mid range emotions. I also had looped verbal utterances - where I would make up a verse and say it for twenty minuted or an hour until everyone was driven crazy by it and then I would eventually have a meltdown and burst into a heap of tears. At that age also. my appearance accorded more with a boy's and I would only want to wear boy's soft cotton clothes (shorts and t.shirts and jeans) as everything else hurt and scratched and I hated the feel of my legs touching. (At 5 the prospect of a school uniform dress was just awful.)

Last edited by millie on 26 Jan 2010, 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 3:28 pm

millie wrote:
However, like Poopylungstuffing, prior to 9 people assumed I was a boy and not a girl as my behaviour was very active and I switched from ON to OFF with no mid range emotions. I also had looped verbal utterances - where I would make up a verse and say it for twenty minuted or an house until everyone was driven crazy by it and then I would eventually have a meltdown and burst into a heap of tears. At that age also. my appearance accorded more with a boy's and I would only want to wear boy's soft cotton clothes (shorts and t.shirts and jeans) as everything else hurt and scratched and I hated the feel of my legs touching. (At 5 the prospect of a school uniform dress was just awful.)

Oh yes, I remember those days. I even had my hair cut in a 'boys' style. People would get confused when I'd tell them my real name, it's quite girly. And I looked, acted and even sounded like a boy.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

smischmal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jan 2010, 3:29 pm

I don't have any videos but stories told by elders work just as well I think.

AnAutisticMind wrote:

This ought to bring you to your lost thread. I found it by looking at your account and viewing the list of all of your posts to find it.
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt99992.html

millie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 3:34 pm

kip wrote:
millie wrote:
However, like Poopylungstuffing, prior to 9 people assumed I was a boy and not a girl as my behaviour was very active and I switched from ON to OFF with no mid range emotions. I also had looped verbal utterances - where I would make up a verse and say it for twenty minuted or an house until everyone was driven crazy by it and then I would eventually have a meltdown and burst into a heap of tears. At that age also. my appearance accorded more with a boy's and I would only want to wear boy's soft cotton clothes (shorts and t.shirts and jeans) as everything else hurt and scratched and I hated the feel of my legs touching. (At 5 the prospect of a school uniform dress was just awful.)

Oh yes, I remember those days. I even had my hair cut in a 'boys' style. People would get confused when I'd tell them my real name, it's quite girly. And I looked, acted and even sounded like a boy.

yes. My boyish appearance continued all the way through until my teens when I started developing. I also had boysih haircuts at various times, and i also had it long - but in the 70's that was the fashion for many boys and so the hair length made no difference in terms of clueing others in to my sex.

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 3:45 pm

once upon a time there was some 8mm film, no sound, but mostly of my younger sister. I only made cameos I think.

I do have a vid clip of my son (recently confirmed AS) at age 2 running in circles in his room.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 4:02 pm

Videos aren't even necessary. Just ask about when you were a baby and look at pictures if you have any (preferably not the in-the-studio-kind).

Brandon-J
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 4:42 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
I have never seen any videos of myself from that era. All I have is photographs...

I look like a normal stoic little (boy) until around age 7 when I start looking more disturbed...that was when school became more stressful and kids became meaner....and my various delays became more obvious.

yea the same thing, I looked normal in my pictures but as I got older in school I looked more "lost" and "nervous" in my pictures

"If you feed your faith your fears will starve to death"

http://www.youtube.com/user/BrandonJ280

Elementary_Physics
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jan 2010, 4:49 pm

I have one existing video from my early childhood. On my second Birthday, my Grandparents bought me a keyboard, and I wouldn't be aware of the party that was going on around me, because I would just play the keyboard. The video shows my Father calling out and even screaming out my name, but I don't turn around. Then it cuts to later that night, and I am doing the same thing, and not listening to my Father.

Also, from 8 years old to 13, none of my photos have me smiling - Actually my High School photo don't even have smiles.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 4:56 pm

my "first day of school" photo taken by my father in our backyard when I was five, shows a kid who is looking sideways out the corner of her eyes.
Some of my photos look normal. Some do not.

I do not think photos give an adequate indication of one's ASD at all. I have seen stills of people with an ASD and thought they looked so "normal and ok" and then when i have met them or seen footage of them, their oddness becomes exceedingly apparent.

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 5:44 pm

I don't have any videos of myself as a child. However, I can tell in many pictures from age 18mos onward. I generally do not look at others in the pictures, look like I'm going to tip over if I am standing and am either expressionless or look like a monkey bearing his teeth. The first picture of me brandishing a semi-normal looking smile dates to sixth grade.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 5:59 pm

hmm lets see.... I was pretty much described as being an Extra-large ham when I was little. Elementary and middle school, I was a trouble maker. Most school pics were pretty damn Bishounen in appearance, as well as me just trying to look the part of a 'bad-ass' IE: I had fairly long hair, and would do what I could to slick my hair back. Highschool came around and I just got a little bit of a gut as well as fat in the face.

But yeah, up until 3rd-4th grade, I was the kid whode run around and overall enjoy life. over the years even up til now though, my personality just got darker and more and more cynical. even in highschool and sometimes now, I was the one isolating myself, not the other students isolating me. They would try to socialize with me, and I tended to just make an ass outta them. So really, the more I look at things, the less aspie is meed, aside from the aspie rage that happens now and then.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

racooneyes
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jan 2010, 6:27 pm

buryuntime wrote:
Videos aren't even necessary. Just ask about when you were a baby and look at pictures if you have any (preferably not the in-the-studio-kind).

Photos are static and memories are unreliable. Many people in the world are older than you ;)

get all confused and then mix up the dates.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 6:32 pm

No videos here either, but my mother said as an infant I only cried when I was wet or hungry, never for attention and as a toddler I "didn't talk". She has a school picture of me taken I think in the 3rd grade that shows how disconnected I was that year. It looks like I'm only dimly aware of where I was. That may have been related to some psychological problems I was having.