Page 1 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Myriad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Aug 2015, 12:25 am

I remember being shown this documentary a while back and really relating to one of Rosie's experiences. She mentioned that when she chooses one pair of shoes over another for example, she feels as though the other pair would feel left out.

I've always felt the same with objects, and feel sorry for them if they get abandoned, thrown out or left by themselves. One time, there were two chocolates left in the bowl and I went to eat one. I didn't want both of them, but I couldn't eat just one because leaving the last one all by itself was such a terrible thought. It would be different if I were to offer that last chocolate to someone else, because at least I wouldn't be leaving it in isolation, on a cold bench, to grieve the loss of its last friend.

It wasn't the only time I've felt like this, though it doesn't happen with all objects.

Who else has this experience?

AQ: 39 / 50

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2015, 8:25 am

I have done especially with food items and a few other objects as well, but as a little boy.

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2015, 9:30 am

When I was younger I would show empathy for objects such as plush toys I owned, nowadays not so much.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2015, 9:47 am

Yes, especially electronics. I tend to call cell phones, tablets and computers "little boys" and "guys". If they need charging I will say "Oh, you are hungry, here, here." and when they are broken/have a virus I consider them ill/sick. And as a IT technican I consider myself a computer doctor that cures the poor "beings". 8) :lol:

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2015, 9:51 am

When I accidentally bump into things or hit them with something, I apologize to them. Don't ask me why.

Crazyfool
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Aug 2015, 10:30 am

That's different, I can't say I have. I might have said said something along the lines of " poor shoe, or poor chocolate" to be funny if someone else was around, but not because I actually felt bad for it...I feel bad for myself that I don't have both chocolates in my belly though :P

cherrybanana
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Aug 2015, 10:43 am

Yes, I recall being quite young and having a Christmas dinner at school. There was this reindeer ice cream pudding thing, with such a cute face. I remember not being able to eat it because it was so cute and I felt really sorry for it. I got horribly upset whilst I watched it melt. I can't eat anything with a little face!

I have more of an emotional connection with my teddies than I do with any living person, which is a bit odd considering my age! :?

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2015, 10:44 am

I hate to throw things away. I'm not sure if it's exactly empathy, per say, but I hate the thought of that thing that could be useable sitting in the garbage instead.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2015, 10:45 am

When I was very young I couldn't throw bus tickets away as I felt sorry for them.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2015, 10:48 am

I have a strange guilt about throwing things away. I blame toy story.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2015, 10:52 am

I used to anthropomorphize everything as a child. I still feel sad throwing things away or getting rid of them, but I force myself because I don't want to end up a hoarder. Also, I usually feel happy once the things are gone. Sometimes I think I'd like to go the opposite way and become a minimalist, but I don't think I actually have it in me. I've been trying to clean out my garage for over a year.

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2015, 10:53 am

cherrybanana wrote:
Yes, I recall being quite young and having a Christmas dinner at school. There was this reindeer ice cream pudding thing, with such a cute face. I remember not being able to eat it because it was so cute and I felt really sorry for it. I got horribly upset whilst I watched it melt. I can't eat anything with a little face!

I have more of an emotional connection with my teddies than I do with any living person, which is a bit odd considering my age! :?

Oh yes I had something similar to that when I was about 6 years old. There was a certain Pokemon that I really like and my mother was able to get a chef to put his face on a cake for my birthday. I didn't eat the cake for my birthday because I was emotionally attached to that Pokemon.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2015, 11:05 am

Rudin wrote:
cherrybanana wrote:

Oh yes I had something similar to that when I was about 6 years old. There was a certain Pokemon that I really like and my mother was able to get a chef to put his face on a cake for my birthday. I didn't eat the cake for my birthday because I was emotionally attached to that Pokemon.

Yeah, I never wanted to "ruin" cake - my parents would have to convince me that it's food and it'll expire and go bad so they'd have to throw it away and that'd be wasteful. Watching them be cut did upset me.

boredome
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2015, 2:31 pm

i often feel more liking toward objects than i do to people lol. once i apologized to my laptop after i dropped it on the floor and thought it was hurt. and it always used to make me sad that whenever you turned a computer off it was like it died for a while.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2015, 2:54 pm

I can´t help but laugh a bit, as I anthropomorfized objects even as a teen, - and this very summer, I caught myself worrying about some plants, I didn´t need in the garden. I had put the in a m box in the lane with a sign: Please help yourselves!
I felt : "Ooooh, they´re so alone!" almost picturing them crying for home. :lol:

Last edited by Jensen on 31 Aug 2015, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2015, 3:01 pm

Yeah, I'm a colossal gearhead and I treat my car like a startled cat when I miss a shift. When I stall (happens maybe four times a year) I check for leaks. When I cause any large error on a computer, even if it's not in the way anywhere I'll usually re-write and potentially update the whole machine.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen: