Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2010, 3:50 pm

Repeat after me topic

I need the repetition in order to get a rhythm going. If the task changes or the rhythm switches, then I cannot do the task.

Obviously multitasking is no good for me. :roll:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2010, 4:03 pm

Some people just carry things a little too far. :roll:

ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2010, 4:04 pm

Only if I chose to do the task myself. If it is an educationally repetitive task, I find it harder to do, because it's simply doing things I already know how to do.

joejoe1298
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Jan 2010, 4:44 pm

I like repetitive tasks.

01 Feb 2010, 7:37 am

I have no problems with repetitive tasks. In fact it's something I can do over and over and not get sick of it. That is one of the classic aspie traits I have. I know others here have said they get sick of it because they get bored with it so they struggle. NTs struggle too but they do it because they need the money. But me I can do it without a problems and never get sick of it.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2010, 9:06 am

Yah - I do better at the repetition than most, but like several of the responses I need that edge of responsibility - decision making. I was THE best card puller. You had to be fast, survive incredible fatigue and boredom, and still make good choices on no two alike schedule cards. I am [maybe not THE best] a pretty excellent spell checker / editor.

I need to be able to think, but with room not to be constantly thinking. AND I need to be able to shift from one repetitive task to another at intervals.

ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2010, 9:53 am

sketches wrote:
Edit: People with Autism may answer this, too; however, I am mainly seeking AS answers.
Why? Why are you mainly looking for answers from people with Asperger's Syndrome?

Michhsta
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2010, 10:00 am

I used to work in Pathology in a major hospital and despite some of the horror people I worked with and the stress of a very busy lab, when I was on my own doing pipette calibration or sampling specimens or data entry, I loved my job.

The only reason I left is because of the people in my immediate department. Can't beat a path lab for intense, accurate repetition. I loved the perfection of the rules, the accountability and the process.

Mics

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2010, 10:10 am

Yes I'm fairly tolerant to repetitive tasks, particularly if I'm the one who has designed the task. I'm not so happy if it's somebody else's design, because they don't know how I work best so their designs are often unsuitable for me......I also resent being told how to do things generally because that is the exercise of authority, and authorities are notorious for riding roughshod over the needs and wishes of those they wield power over. I also worry if I'm doing repetitive things for a great deal of the time, because I sense that I may be wasting my life on them, though I really don't know what else I'd rather do.

Music is very repetitive, and I love music. But it's often the parts of the music that deviate from simple repetition that give me the most pleasure. Curious. :?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2010, 6:46 pm

I have no problems doing the same things over and over. It never gets old.

Artkitten
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Feb 2010, 7:19 pm

I hyperfocus into repetitive tasks and thus can easily do them for hours and hours without noticing the time much less anything else. It's good in that sense but bad in the sense of missing other things going on, like someone trying to talk to me, or working longer than I'm supposed to and then not getting paid for it :(

Good for personal creative projects but bad when I can't stop or do anything else till it's done and I've let another day or several go by without working toward getting work to pay the rent which leaves me more stressed out than the satisfaction of finishing the project brings. :x

LoveMoney
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Feb 2010, 7:19 pm

I hate repetitive work, I like to find kicks.
At school I hate repetitive work, I only like it when I'm working faster then other people, gives me pleasure.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2010, 8:44 pm

I've always been told I need to work in an asembly line because I am supposedly to stupid to have a real job. I could never do that. I have trouble with contsant, drastic change but I also can't take monotionious routine. My parents' stuppiest idea ever was to sell the house and live in an RV until they keeled over. The said I would love it once we actualy did it becuase we could go to diffrent zoos and things. Maybe so but the constant change and being "bounced around" would make me have meltdowns and tantrums every waking hour. I also can't tolerate being locked inside with nothing to do. I need enrichment and stimulation on MY terms. Repetive tasks aren't easy for me unless I'm the one who thought it up. But then as I said, just about everything I do has to be on MY terms.

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2010, 9:46 pm

I have nothing against repetitive tasks but only if they are for a certain amount of time or days. I find it relaxing and I would be quite good at it. But having it as a long time occupation is a no go, I would grow bored of it and it would not work with my need for creative outburst and challenge.

:::)

sketches
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Feb 2010, 2:05 pm

Wow. I just found out this thread received some more responses since the last I'd checked. I also realize how dumb I was to differentiate Autism from Asperger's Syndrome.

ursaminor wrote:
sketches wrote:
Edit: People with Autism may answer this, too; however, I am mainly seeking AS answers.
Why? Why are you mainly looking for answers from people with Asperger's Syndrome?

It's a personal reason, because I can relate to it more. I am curious about whether or not it's a trait, a similarity (coincidental), or if it's just me. I think it may be a similarity.

PunkyKat, that is interesting. I think I would enjoy working in an assembly line. Artkitten, that is a good word for it: hyperfocus. That's what I do, too. And sartresue, on a similar note, if the rhythm switches it will be difficult for me to get into the groove again.

Thanks for the replies, everybody!

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 2:28 pm

I like something new (but not stressful), repetitive tasks just become too boring in the long run for me. For example, i've played WoW for some time now, and have fought most of the bosses . . . however, i prefer not to fight the same bosses day in/out, week in/out because Im not learning anything new. The pattern is established, so what's all the hype about? Same in real life . . . i absolutely hate stocking shelves (because its always the same items missing), but i dont mind answering questions/solving problems (Im one in the spectrum addicted to some forms of problem solving, so diversity in that interest keeps me happy).