Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Uhura
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Feb 2010, 11:25 pm

I don't know what to do. I have Asperger's (diagnoses) but it's mild and I hide it in most situations. It's very tiring, as some of you probably understand. But if you know what you are looking for you can see that I have it.-sensitivity to being touched, no eye contact, and a few other things. Meltdowns aren't frequent but I do have a shutdown where I just can't move if I go over my limits and am around people too much.

The problem is that I just got one of those jury duty letters. Not the one that says you have to go but the one that says you randomly might be picked. Too political and, while some with AS, are very interested in politics, they have never made sense to me. Too many other people's points of view. Too hard to understand the topics and people's points of view on them and too many names to keep track of.

I don't think I can do it. I don't know if it is an Aspie trait or just me but I have a tendency to believe people too fast. I believe them before understanding what they say and after (sometimes days after) I understand enough to agree or disagree. But when I'm with someone and they say something, I agree. I've got to be very familiar with the topic and the person to avoid just automaticaly agreeing. Hearing all the conflicting points of view at the same time with no break to think would be too much.

I also can't drive because of epilepsy. I have on average one or two days a month (PMS) where I black out two or three times. Occassionally it will happen more than that but that is average. Not to mention that I have no idea what to expect. I cry easily.

I don't know what parts of me are Asperger's and what is just personality and usually don't care. But between Asperger's and epilepsy, I don't think I can do this. Can I get a medical excuse? How?

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2010, 12:03 am

You just need to explain what keeps you from being a good juror. It doesn't matter whether it's Asperger's or epilepsy or anything else; if you can't do the job, you can't do it.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Feb 2010, 6:19 am

Back it up with a letter from your doctor and/or therapist and/or employer. That was all my friend needed. I know it's impossible not to worry but I really can't imagine them wanting a juror with Asperger's which is a form of autism as well as epilepsy and a tendency to believe everything. I think it might be better to get your doctor to do it because doctors are brief and objective and don't put any more information than is needed.
Also a doc has lots of credibility.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2010, 6:26 am

^ what Claradoon said. I had to do that some years ago, and they took me off the juror list permanently (which isn't even what I was asking for at the time). Your doctor will have done it for others, so just let him/her know.

I opted out due to memory problems, but there are times I wonder about being the one person on a jury with different life experience to maybe understand some 'outlier' type person's experience and motivations better than the others...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2010, 3:34 am

Uhura wrote:
I don't know what to do. I have Asperger's (diagnoses) but it's mild and I hide it in most situations. It's very tiring, as some of you probably understand. But if you know what you are looking for you can see that I have it.-sensitivity to being touched, no eye contact, and a few other things. Meltdowns aren't frequent but I do have a shutdown where I just can't move if I go over my limits and am around people too much.

The problem is that I just got one of those jury duty letters. Not the one that says you have to go but the one that says you randomly might be picked. Too political and, while some with AS, are very interested in politics, they have never made sense to me. Too many other people's points of view. Too hard to understand the topics and people's points of view on them and too many names to keep track of.

I don't think I can do it. I don't know if it is an Aspie trait or just me but I have a tendency to believe people too fast. I believe them before understanding what they say and after (sometimes days after) I understand enough to agree or disagree. But when I'm with someone and they say something, I agree. I've got to be very familiar with the topic and the person to avoid just automaticaly agreeing. Hearing all the conflicting points of view at the same time with no break to think would be too much.

I also can't drive because of epilepsy. I have on average one or two days a month (PMS) where I black out two or three times. Occassionally it will happen more than that but that is average. Not to mention that I have no idea what to expect. I cry easily.

I don't know what parts of me are Asperger's and what is just personality and usually don't care. But between Asperger's and epilepsy, I don't think I can do this. Can I get a medical excuse? How?

--------------
you can get medically excused but it is a royal pain in the @$$ to do so. you have to have a personal physician who refers you to a mental health care providor, who would after a period of evaluation decide [maybe] to issue you a "doctor's note." jury duty itself is a royal pain in the @$$ but it is one of life's unavoidable "thousand natural shocks" [like taxes and evil people]. i seem to be picked-on more than the average shlub [on average, 3 times per year], so i have gotten expert at saying things which immediately disqualify me from further consideration, per summons. just "act crazy" when the judge interviews you, and with some alacrity either the defense or prosecution will elect to exclude you from sitting in. this has worked for me- instead of having to sit on rock-hard benches for a month or so, just one or two days, max.
good luck.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2010, 5:18 am

I have thankfully never got this but I know that it is not hard to opt out as long as you can prove that you do have AS/epilepsy. My mum got one of these and she told them that she couldn't do it due to her mental health problems and the fact that she was looking after a disabled child (me). They let her off!