Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Zeno
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2007, 10:17 am

On a bus trip to Johor Bahru, the southern most Malaysian city that is adjacent to Singapore, I did something I know better not to do – I read the immigration forms and tried to fill them in. The impact was almost immediate. My head spun around and a sickening sense of having my insides turned upside down came over me. For as long as I can remember, I have always been very susceptible to motion sickness, especially when I try to read in a moving vehicle. My earliest memory of a meltdown episode actually occurred after a long and car ride on a hot sunny day.

It lasted for quite a while and even after I cleared immigration and went about my business in Malaysia, the sense of being unbalanced continued to plague me. When I was younger, I would get motion sickness no matter what I did. The constant starts and stops plus the smell of motor exhaust that floated into the hot cramped buses I took to and back from school always made me sick. Sometimes the effects would last hours though it usually cleared up once I got off the vehicle. As I grew up, the symptoms became milder and I learned to focus my mind of other things; thinking and day dreaming actually helped to forestall the motion sickness. And now, only if I try to read while in a moving vehicle will I suffer from the effects of motion sickness.

Parents of autistic children might find that their children respond poorly (as I did) to motorized transportation. Does anyone else have the same experience? It might be useful for parents who are mystified to find that their autistic child melts down after every car trip to learn that it happens to others as well.

Grim
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jun 2007, 10:24 am

I get pretty bad motion sickness, always have done.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2007, 11:22 am

I sometimes get motion sickness.

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2007, 11:41 am

when i was small, it was unbearable. i threw up after 20 minutes in moving vehicle. i am 27 now and still having problems. though i can keep it under control now.

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2007, 11:49 am

When I was very young I used to get motion sickness. My mum always brought biscuits or sweets with her whenever we were in a car. But now I don't have that trouble. As some of the time where I work I am in a moving vehicle it's not that I'm usually a passenger so I sleep in the van. It's also a good way not to have a conversation as well.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2007, 11:50 am

I get it when the traffic's bad so the car is stopping and starting all the time. I don't know if that's the same thing though.

KalahariMeerkat
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Jun 2007, 12:10 pm

That used to happen to me a lot. Air "freshners" made it worse and no one would let me wind down windows because it would mess up their hair.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2007, 12:10 pm

I hate the warm blowwy thign in cars. It makes my nose feel like it's burning.

Maddino87
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Oct 2009, 9:19 am

I also used to have bad carsickness. What made it even worse was my sister was emetophobic (in other words, absolute deadly fear of vomiting).
But nowadays carsickness is no longer present leaving me still with airsickness. I found that staring at the road and going with the flow relieves my anxiety, but that's a problem in a plane since I can't watch through a front window.
Unfortunately my sister has started getting carsickness herself. If there's one word she dreads as much as 'vomit' it's 'car trip'.

Sati
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2009, 9:55 am

I get terrible motion sickness. I'm ok in cars, but not if I read. Boats and planes are a disaster though!

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2009, 4:17 pm

Car Sick all the time + Boats..... puke

But never in a plane( other than panicky for the flight.)

My uncle would chide me and remark "it's all in your head ; quit being a girl". :roll:
I took dramamine and he would laugh at the thought of this too.
I grew out this in cars but............today I cannot swing on a swing -set without getting sick. :roll:

Last edited by Mdyar on 15 Oct 2009, 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OuterBoroughGirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2009, 4:53 pm

I got motion sickness as a child, and I get queasy in cars to this day. I'm fortunate that I live in the city, and I don't need to be in cars that often. I work a mile away from where I live, so I walk to and from work every day. When I have to travel somewhere further, I generally take the Subway. I don't drive, because I failed my road test four times, so I'm always a passenger on the rare occasion when I am in a car. I've gotten pretty adept at controlling the motion sickness. It helps if I look up, and don't move my head too much. It also helps if I don't eat anything substantial right before getting in a car.

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2009, 4:55 pm

I can ride in cars without getting sick, but I can't read in them. I will start feeling sick within ten minutes, and it takes a while to go away even after I put the magazine down.

So I dare not read in a moving vehicle, that is just asking for unpleasentness. :(

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2009, 10:27 pm

I'm actually the exact opposite. I'm completely immune to motion sickness. I live for high-speed roller coasters and spinning amusement park rides. I love to spin around. I also have read in the car ever since I learned how to read. I've never been airsick or seasick, either. I once read something of Temple Grandin's where she described having a hyposensitive vestibular system, and how she loved to spin to self-stimulate said vestibular system. I think that's what I'm like. I'm hypersensitive in all sensory realms except the vestibular system. I feel the best when I'm going fast, am upside down, or am spinning.
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2009, 4:59 am

im good at car(unless air condition is set to hot) but i always tend to black out if i take buss i usually wake 20mins after buss stop :lol:

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2009, 7:00 am

Whenever I haven't traveled in a while, I get terrible motion sickness. I have no idea why I have it. My mind wants to go out and see the world, while my body wants to blow chunks at the slightest hint of travel. :roll: