People with AS process funny things faster than NTs?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 9:20 am

Do people with AS process funny things faster than NTs?

I remember a few instances where I am with a group of people and someone says something funny. I would laugh and then a split second later the laughter would finally come from the crowd. It seemed like the crowd had a "delayed laughter".

I remember thinking "Was that not supposed to be funny?" and then the delayed laughter finally came from the crowd.

Irisrises
Toucan
Toucan

20 Feb 2010, 9:23 am

I've noticed this a few times, I see the punchline coming and laugh before it arrives, then a few seconds later other people laugh too. But I don't think it's to do with autism. May be to do with being over-analytical?

Descartes30
Toucan
Toucan

20 Feb 2010, 9:36 am

I wish that this applied to me. Alas almost all humor goes straight over my head. With the possible exception of humor aimed for young Japanese school girls. Very odd considering I'm an American male in his 30s. Possibly it's because I'm rather naive in general 8) Or it could also have to do with me just not understanding what is humorous about poking fun at someone or some group. Good for you two for not being that way though, it makes things even more awkward socially for me.

AnnaLemma
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Feb 2010, 9:46 am

Just another single data point, but yes, if I consider it funny, I laugh about a second or two ahead of the majority of the other folks. Some people have told me that they don't think I "get" it if I laugh so quickly. I find that this often confuses the people I am with, because I won't laugh (maybe chuckle at most) if I don't find a particular joke funny.

I even had a discussion about this after a trip to a comedy club long ago. Other people thought it was impolite not to laugh at everything. I think that is just wrong. Audience reaction is feedback. I assume a conscientious comedy professional wants to continually improve his act, so genuine reactions are vital here. Not what you asked, exactly, but a pent-up rant!

b9
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 10:16 am

i do not understand other people's humor.
i can not remember ever laughing or even smiling at a "joke" told to me.
sometimes i start to smile when i realize i am not smiling at their joke when i should be.

it is very difficult to explain.
like my boss told me a joke last week which i can not remember, and he searched my face for a smile and i remained deadpan because i did not see how it was funny, but then i started to find the fact that i did not find it funny...funny.
i started to smile because i thought it was quite funny that he was barking up the wrong tree by telling me a joke he thought i would understand.

then when he seemed gratified that he thought i was smiling at his joke i started to laugh because he thought my smile was about his joke, but it was really about his puzzled expression that i did not understand or respond to it.

he then chuckled and i started to laugh even harder because i saw him as a fool who was believing i was laughing at his original joke. i can not explain it well sorry.
we were on completely different wavelengths.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 11:59 am

Descartes30 wrote:
I wish that this applied to me. Alas almost all humor goes straight over my head. With the possible exception of humor aimed for young Japanese school girls. Very odd considering I'm an American male in his 30s. Possibly it's because I'm rather naive in general 8) Or it could also have to do with me just not understanding what is humorous about poking fun at someone or some group. Good for you two for not being that way though, it makes things even more awkward socially for me.

how are you with wordplay?

Villette
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Feb 2010, 12:04 pm

not necessarily i dont understand jokes easily EXCEPT for intellectual jokes. i laugh before the rest who look at at me puzzled.

justMax
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 12:10 pm

I went insane at some point in the late 90's, realized how utterly ridiculous life is, I think trees are funny... so yeah, I tend to jump on jokes too. Though I prefer to finish them, or quip off funny addendums to statements.

In particular when I was playing Final Fantasy XI (MMORPG) with it's constant chatter, I loved pointing out and playing up amusing typing errors.

pigeon309
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Feb 2010, 3:07 pm

I'm the opposite. It often takes me ages to realise why something's funny, and even when I understand, my laughter is usually forced. I could find something really funny, but I still might not be naturally inclined to laugh.

KJC
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Feb 2010, 3:38 pm

Well, for me, I constantly processing multiple thoughts at a great speed. When I hear a joke, I can quickly gather, understand, and find humor in the joke before others. Sometimes when I'm able to conclude my understanding and search for humor rather quickly and that diminishes my appreciation for a joke that others may find very funny.

KJC

20 Feb 2010, 4:23 pm

Some great examples of comedy IMO. There are three shows I always find funny, because, I often have all kinds of information in my memory to draw from in order to get each joke. Flatly, I feel that some jokes in these would not be understood by some people I know, but they laugh feeling that the emphasis in particular pieces of dialogue are meant to cue laughter. One of them (and an obvious one) is Big Bang Theory. Then Frasier. and Gilmore Girls. Some may argue with the last one, but with the electives I took in college, I was probably the only one in my house to understand a reference to the relationship of Alfred Stieglitz and Georgia O'Keeffe.

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 8:09 pm

I always do this; I find innuendos in stuff waaay faster than just about all of my friends.

Descartes30
Toucan
Toucan

20 Feb 2010, 10:21 pm

auntblabby wrote:

I don't laugh at wordplay, but I do enjoy it a lot. The writer/reader in me enjoys the use of language in a playful manner. :) It's about the closest thing I do to telling a joke, I never really tell jokes or make fun of anything, I just like witty uses of language.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2010, 4:40 am

Descartes30 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I don't laugh at wordplay, but I do enjoy it a lot. The writer/reader in me enjoys the use of language in a playful manner. :) It's about the closest thing I do to telling a joke, I never really tell jokes or make fun of anything, I just like witty uses of language.

then you might be tickled by the works of jon winokir [hope i'm spellin' it right]- he compiled several books of "mal mots" such as "the portable curmudgeon" and "the curmudgeon's garden of love." they are a hoot for anybody who enjoys "vinegar valentines."

Descartes30
Toucan
Toucan

21 Feb 2010, 9:19 am

auntblabby wrote:
then you might be tickled by the works of jon winokir [hope i'm spellin' it right]- he compiled several books of "mal mots" such as "the portable curmudgeon" and "the curmudgeon's garden of love." they are a hoot for anybody who enjoys "vinegar valentines."

Thank you for the recommendation, I will certainly look that up. :)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2010, 11:08 am

I pick up funny things faster than most people. It's because I have a wacky sense of humour. :lol: